The Student Room Group
Reply 1
mine was research methodology training with a dissertation at the end about research methodology (10,000 words). i've seen mres courses which involve project work but as far as i know these are mainly in the natural sciences.
Depends on the program as to whether or not it will contain some taught courses, but for a research masters a thesis is almost always a significant component :smile:
Reply 3
i think the esrc research masters are design to teach the student about research methodology prior to the doctorate, so i would be surprised to find a course without any teaching.
Mine's 15000 words plus 6 taught methodology modules (2/3rds of the mark) which is pretty commonplace.

Not that this matters much since the OP's already been perma banned.
Reply 5
I think all ESRC accredited masters need to have a dissertation. There are specific subject modules, taught research methods modules and then a dissertation of 10000 - 15000 words at the end.

Without the dissertation (i.e. just the taught modules) you only get a PGDip not the full MA or MSc.
IlexAquifolium
Not that this matters much since the OP's already been perma banned.

Damn, that was quick...
Reply 7
Wot's an OP?

Does the dissertation always have to be about research methodology? I got the impression it was free reign. Maybe it varies from place to place?
andrewp
Wot's an OP?

The OP is the original poster :smile:
Reply 9
andrewp
Wot's an OP?

Does the dissertation always have to be about research methodology? I got the impression it was free reign. Maybe it varies from place to place?

mine esrc msc was sort of, but the dissertations that i know of were directly related to the phd and typically consisted of lit. reviews (resulting in positional pieces) or a critique of methodology.

as far as i'm aware, there is much more ambiguity with the ahrc masters because they are not so research-training intensive and actually involve (large) portions of taught subject knowledge in addition to methodology knowledge.
The Boosh
as far as i'm aware, there is much more ambiguity with the ahrc masters because they are not so research-training intensive and actually involve (large) portions of taught subject knowledge in addition to methodology knowledge.

That's the impression I've got from reading all the blurb on the AHRC website about MAs, research training and PhD funding.
i guess a lot of ahrc work isn't empirical but conceptual, which entails a different skill and knowledge emphasis. imo, it's also the reason why scientists go straight to phd - they don't have to mess about with paradigm wars because scientists do scientific research and scientific research can be learned from undergrad onwards, whereas the social sciences are still in a murky area when it comes to "the" methodology to adopt (partly because of the critical nature of half the field). psychology is brilliant because it's so contested - psychologists say it's a natural science, the natural sciences say it isn't, and the social sciences/arts and humanities poke fun at it for being "naive". sociology when through the same thing in the 70s.+
The Boosh
i guess a lot of ahrc work isn't empirical but conceptual, which entails a different skill and knowledge emphasis. imo, it's also the reason why scientists go straight to phd - they don't have to mess about with paradigm wars because scientists do scientific research and scientific research can be learned from undergrad onwards, whereas the social sciences are still in a murky area when it comes to "the" methodology to adopt (partly because of the critical nature of half the field). psychology is brilliant because it's so contested - psychologists say it's a natural science, the natural sciences say it isn't, and the social sciences/arts and humanities poke fun at it for being "naive". sociology when through the same thing in the 70s.+

<OT debate>

I think that's an oversimplification with regards psychology, Boosh. You seem to be arguing that it is a single (externally contested) field, which I don't think it is. I would suggest that the internal divisions create those categories - neuropsych is most definitely a natural science, behavioural and cognitive psych is mid-way between natural/social sciences, and social psych is - as the name suggests - a social science (although I agree that certain practitioners seem to like to pretend it isn't, and therefore sideline the post-positivist debates going on elsewhere in the field). I don't think the kind of debates that I engage in though are especially relevant to someone who spends their days staring at brain scanners. I'm probably being naive in excusing them, though :p:

</OT debate>
see gogsoc :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending