The Student Room Group

Recommend a graphical calculator for Edexcel A level

I know I am going to have to buy a graphical calculator for my A level maths but as there are so many and they are quite pricey I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Especially if they are very suitable for EdExcel.

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is not really necessary to buy a graphical calculator for A level Mathematics, and in some respects it is better without one as it makes you practice and understand graph sketching which is very useful.

If you were thinking about getting a normal calculator, get a Natural Display one from Casio.
This one. Makes A-level maths a hell of a lot easier. Definitely worth the price.
Reply 3
why would you need a graphical calculator?
i just finished and i wouldnt have used one much at all.
Reply 4
lilangel890
I know I am going to have to buy a graphical calculator for my A level maths but as there are so many and they are quite pricey I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Especially if they are very suitable for EdExcel.

Thank you :smile:

You know wrong. Graphical calculators are no help what so ever and actually make you think you don't need to learn graphs (however much you think you do).

C1 is non-calculator and carries most of the Graphical questions. The rest of the Graphical questions you'll get upto C4 will not be able to be answered by a graphical calculator.
Reply 5
Don't waste the money.
I got by perfectally fine with a £6 casio one, you don't need a graphical one.
Reply 6
Oh right, ok thanks. It's just a lady maths teacher at a prospective college (not where I'm going) mentioned it. Thanks guys. Saves me money :smile:
Reply 7
Try and get hold of one and try it out.

Also wait till you are on the course and can see the type of material you might use the calculator for before you order.
You arent aloud to take graphical calculators into the exams, read the front of one of the exam papers
Are you sure the OP didn't mean "scientific"? (I'm sure she didn't, but it's worth checking.)

Anyway, I wouldn't get a graphical one - you don't want to rely on it all the way through, only to find you can't cope without it in the exam because you've become lazy. As for scientific, I'd recommend the Casio fx-85MS (that's mine), it's simple to use and I think Argos sell a newer versio of it for about £8. I saw a Morissons ripoff of it a while ago for about £3 too - always handy in case you need to get a replacement at short notice!

If your college has a particular kind that they use (my high school did), maybe get one from them. It's likely that they'll sell them at cost, so you'll save money, and you'll have someone to show you how it works.
I have several G.C's. The best of which is this one.

Beans on toast is wrong; you are allowed them in most modules.

Are they worth having?
Well to a degree that depends on how you intend to use it. As a replacement for the skills required to manualy sketch a graph? No.
To allow you to check results etc. for work that you have done, then yes.

I would personally recomend A-level students to have a GC.
Reply 11
Mrm.
I have several G.C's. The best of which is this one.

Beans on toast is wrong; you are allowed them in most modules.

Are they worth having?
Well to a degree that depends on how you intend to use it. As a replacement for the skills required to manualy sketch a graph? No.
To allow you to check results etc. for work that you have done, then yes.

I would personally recomend A-level students to have a GC.

why would you recomend it if your only going to check your work surely teachers are adequate?
and your not aloud them in exams they can do algebra if you think about it, solve simultaneous equations, etc
Reply 12
I was fortunate enough for my college to provide me with a graphic calculator, but to be honest I barely used it. Don't waste the money.
Reply 13
I've never found reason to use one from GCSE up to Uni level, save your money!
Reply 14
Beansontoast yum
You arent aloud to take graphical calculators into the exams, read the front of one of the exam papers

Graphical calculators are allowed:

2007 C4 June
Candidates may use any calculator allowed by the regulations of the Joint
Council for Qualifications. Calculators must not have the facility for symbolic
algebra manipulation, differentiation and integration, or have retrievable
mathematical formulas stored in them.
Reply 15
I have a graphical calculator but didn't use any features from it that you don't get on a scientific in any of my exams. The only time you would need one really is for Further Maths ...and for AS i didn't use it for that either...
my school lent them to us in certain lessons when they were handy but i got through A level maths and AS further maths without one fine enough.
Reply 17
stordoff
Graphical calculators are allowed:

they can do symbolic algebra manipulation if you know how.
Reply 18
they can do symbolic algebra manipulation if you know how.

Not all! Only some
Reply 19
ben_walker446
Not all! Only some

what about simultaneous equations and such.

in my exam it had a question on exponential growth and asked what did it start at, find where the graph crosses the y axis and bobs your uncle, so doubt they are allowed.

Quick Reply

Latest