The Student Room Group
Reply 1
hey sorry i didn't reply to your pm i've just been really busy lately! les sdf was a good topic to do as there was lots of stuff but not so much that it was hard to take it all in. there was one really good website that had basically everything you need. i can't remember what it was called now but if u search for les sdf a paris on google.fr i'm sure it'll come up. it was the website from some french tv show about current issues. pm if you want any more info and i promise i'll reply this time!
loose_moose
Hey,
I'm doing French AS and have been asked to choose my oral topic by next week. I was wondering if any of you people who have done it, could give me ideas as to what i could do... and whether your topic was a good 1 (eg was there a lot to talk about?) I would be really grateful, and if you can remember any resources / websites you used that wld b rly gd :smile:
thx
Lucie x

Piece of advice: try to avoid talking about "Something en France" (e.g. Le racisme en France; L'obésité en France etc.). The exam boards whine about that. Try to pick something that's specific to France - Les problemes du pays Basque; Les reformes educationels proposés par Fillon. Can't go wrong with that, and it's much easier to research something less general.
loose_moose
Hey,
I'm doing French AS and have been asked to choose my oral topic by next week. I was wondering if any of you people who have done it, could give me ideas as to what i could do... and whether your topic was a good 1 (eg was there a lot to talk about?) I would be really grateful, and if you can remember any resources / websites you used that wld b rly gd :smile:
thx
Lucie x

I did the Impressionists for my AS oral.

I think the subject is very important - they like something cultural/political (my Formula 1 discussion in German didn't go down so well). There is a lot on the net. Use google.fr when searching. Also a tip: only use French material. It makes the whole process more genuine and does come through I reckon.

Some ideas for an oral:

Laicité in the French schools.
French Wines (you can do some hands-on research)
Immigration
Something literary (two short and good books are Candide or L'Etranger)

There are loads.
Reply 4
are you talking about the presentation? i remember when i did mine it was about the health system in france and compared it with that in the uk
Reply 5
For my A2 presentation this year I'm doing something about nuclear energy in France. Because there's a big debate over it at the moment and I know all about nuclear power because we do that in Physics. :smile:
I would suggest choosing something that you can discuss and argue about, like an issue that is controversial, but preferably specific to France. Social and environmental problems are good, and englishstudent mentioned immigration as well, which I think would be a suitable topic as well. :smile:
It would help if it's something that interests you, but perhaps more importantly the examiners are looking to see whether you can argue effectively and think about wider issues. So it's important to pick a topic where you can do that.
Someone I know did French cheese at AS. They got a D.
Reply 6
which board are you with? i didn't think presentations were done at A2!
Reply 7
englishstudent
I did the Impressionists for my AS oral.

I think the subject is very important - they like something cultural/political (my Formula 1 discussion in German didn't go down so well). There is a lot on the net. Use google.fr when searching. Also a tip: only use French material. It makes the whole process more genuine and does come through I reckon.

Some ideas for an oral:

Laicité in the French schools.
French Wines (you can do some hands-on research)
Immigration
Something literary (two short and good books are Candide or L'Etranger)

There are loads.

Ooo I like some of those ideas but don't they have to match up with one of the topics/units that you study at AS?
kieshaxxx
Ooo I like some of those ideas but don't they have to match up with one of the topics/units that you study at AS?

I'm not sure... I definitely did the Impressionists for my AS (got 86/90 somehow :biggrin: - I think it was partly the choice of topic!). Perhaps it varies from exam board to exam board.
Reply 9
englishstudent
I'm not sure... I definitely did the Impressionists for my AS (got 86/90 somehow :biggrin: - I think it was partly the choice of topic!). Perhaps it varies from exam board to exam board.

Yeah, I'm on AQA for French and German and I think I'm going to end up writing about something boring :frown:
kieshaxxx
Yeah, I'm on AQA for French and German and I think I'm going to end up writing about something boring :frown:

Well I suppose a mark's a mark! I did some seriously boring stuff myself during my A2 language courses! :biggrin:
Reply 11
englishstudent
Well I suppose a mark's a mark! I did some seriously boring stuff myself during my A2 language courses! :biggrin:

Me too! I don't think the topic really matters... it's the quality of your language.

Keep it specific though. My topic was on the status of islam in France (incl. ban of headress, etc)
Reply 12
im doing concorde, which has links with france and england

Latest

Trending

Trending