The Student Room Group

studying history at uni

i want to study BA hons History at university but i have no idea where to study it at! ive searched on ucas and the times good university guide, ordered prospectuses and booked places at open days but im starting to get cold feet about the universitys im going to visit.

Ive already visited greenwich university, which is a lovely place but because its near the bottom of the league table im not sure whether its the right university for me. i want to go to the best university i could possibly go to with my a level grades and they only want 160 ucas points whereas im expecting to get at least 240. (CCC)

ive also booked a place at kingston university open day and st mary's university college.

i was also looking at portsmouth univeristy and canterbury christ church.

the thing is i dont want to move too far out of london, but most london uni's have bad reputations so i really dont know whats best for me.

any advice would be greatly appreciated and sorry the post is so long!
Reply 1
You should try Goldsmiths. You may well get in with those grades. I had similar results and got into a History course there. It's also part of University of London. Go here for more info:

http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/history/
Most London Unis do not have bad reputations, don't know quite where you got that from!

The best thing would be to work out what area of history you're interested in, and then look at all the universities who cover those things. For example, if you were really interested in 20th century, there's no sense applying to a university that only does early modern.

Forget about going to "the best" university, go to the one that interests you. There's no sense going somewhere just because it's high on a league table if you hate your time there. The best thing is to go visit as many as you can, and see if you like the town/area - you will have to spend 3 years living there, so if you can't stand to even walk around it that's a good sign you shouldn't go :smile:
Reply 3
Alot of scottish universities should accept you too, although its one year longer but means you can study more subjects/areas
I'm going to QM to study history in September. However, had I stayed at home and studied I would have looked at Canterbury Christ Church and Kent. Not far from London and Canterbury, although not London, has good nightlife and shopping, plenty of history, excellent archives etc.

Christ Church I believe has the better rep for history, but Kent has the better uni rep. If it was me, I'd go to Kent, purely because the campus is nicer imho.

If you have any questions about either pm me; I've some friends going to both in Sept and it's my home town.

Good luck!

X
Yeah 4 years up in Scotland. At least at Edinburgh uni anyway, but there's alot of stuff to choose from so there's bound to be something to like.
Reply 6
thanks for your help
My best friend is at Portsmouth and she loves it. I've visited as well and it is a cool place and good uni. I'm not sure if you could get in with CCC to be honest, but it's definitely worth a shot.

Other London-ish unis to look at could be Hertfordshire, Brunel and Westminster? Try not to worry too much about reputation. :smile:
Reply 8
Chichester would be a good insurance :smile: