The Student Room Group

What is in the word count for the extended essay (EE) ??

Hi,

I'm doing my EE at the moment and I was wondering what was in the word count as my supervisor never mentioned it and i completely forgot about.

I was thinking it was just the Introduction, Main body, and Conclusion? (and not the abstract, contents page, bibliography, appendix)
That is correct. The word count includes the essay's main body of text and nothing else. I think this also excludes any diagram or picture's caption, but I'm not sure about footnotes.
Reply 2
taken from Extended Essay Guidelines booklet we got given:

the upper limit is 4000 words. This upper limit includes:
> the main part of the EE
> any quotations

this upper limit does not include:
> any acknowledgements
> the contents page
> the references (for example footnotes, endnotes)
> any maps, charts, diagrams, annotated illustrations and tables
> the bibliography
> the appendix
> the abstract

the advisory minimum number of words is 3500.

hope that helps :smile:
I don't know what the policy on TSR is about reviving dead threads, but this came up in my google search for the lower word limit of the EE, and I'd just like to mention that uhhhh that's not true. I don't know if anything's changed since 2008, but the advisory word count is wholly dependent on what subject you're doing your extended essay on. History and English EEs are traditionally the longest ones, and should aim for that 3500 - 4000 word count window. Science EEs can be a bit shorter while still fully investigating the topic, more in the range of 3000-3800. And for a Maths EE, like I'm doing, the word count is completely different; a Maths EE can be fully investigated and complete in as little as 2000 words. I'm handing my finished rough draft in tomorrow, and the whole document is around 2700 words. So. Yeah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending