The Student Room Group

I'm a bit stuck

Basically - I'm having a gap year next year and Im not certain what I want to do at university.
I think I want to do french but then I don't know whether to choose management german or italian.
I don't really know much about management, how useful or interesting it is.
I did GCSE German but that was 2 years ago and I've forgotten loadddddddddddds.
Also most unis require A level German so I can't apply to those eg warwick ucl nottingham kings st andrews etc
If I choose italian ab intio I could apply to other places but it might be hard starting a new language from scrath
Also I can do a german as course near me or an italian beginners course.
Please could u give me any opinions :redface:
Reply 1
at birmingham there's a french and german programme for people who have french a level and gcse german, fyi.
anyway, if you liked german you could take it up ab initio again but it wouldnt be from scratch as you said because you knwo the basics. so wouldn't be as hard as properly from scratch if you see what i mean, like with italian.
if you don't know about management i suggest you do some research (there'll be something on tsr somewhere) and then decide if you like it.
what are you a levels?
Reply 2
I have french biology and maths
I had wanted to do german and music instead of maths and biology but I couldn't at my school
Reply 3
I'd say go for French and German then. Starting ab initio German wouldn't be boring for you as after about a month at the most the complete beginners are at the same level as those with GCSE, and at the end of the first year all ab initio students are at the same level as those with A Level. You'd only have a month of being a bit ahead but like you said you've forgotten a lot so it wouldn't be too bad!
Take a look at Birmingham, Sussex, Soto (I think), Cardiff. They do pretty good ab initio courses, I think. The Brum Germ teachers are WELL lovely as well, same at Sussex. I adore them. Try Royal Holloway and Kent if your grades are up to scratch, the RoHo German teachers are fantastic.

Latest

Trending

Trending