The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You WILL need an iron, because even though there is one in every kitchen they suck and burn clothes.

Ok, here's a list of random other things you may not have thought to bring:
-6-strip for plugs, i used 3 this year with everything like laptop, printer, straightners, etc.
-Underbed boxes, for clothes because the wardrobe is tiny!
-A safe, because things like money do get stolen if not kept safe
-Plasters, because everyone will cut/burn/scold themselves at least once
-See-through pencil case, because they are still expected in exams
-Every student discount card you can get your hands on, because.. well.. we're students. Although NUS extra might be a rip-off for some.
-Endless pads of paper, don't use decent paper for revision that you're just gonna throw away, use crappy old yellowing paper, because if you're gonna use a tree, use one that was cut down about 20 years ago.
-A spare mobile phone, in case you drop yours in a bowl of water like i did :redface: your mobile is your lifeline.
-A long-lasting supply of 10p, 20p and 50p's, because the washing machines are £1.80 each wash.

Hope some of that helped, i'll try and put more if i can remember the most random things that you tend to forget until last minute :biggrin:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
You don't need to bring me :ninja: But you can if you want, I'm free that day.
Reply 3
I thought that I wouldn't need a kettle. Don't make this mistake, the convenience of having one in your room is very worth it.
Reply 4
Hev456
the wardrobe is tiny!

OH DEAR GOD. Hadn't even thought about this.

My walk-in wardrobe is completely full... what will I do!?!?!?

:woo:
Reply 5
I don't know how to iron :frown: lol.

I have too much stuff! Where is it all gonna goooo?
Reply 6
Tyler court A :beard:

Just some info about it, if it hasn't changed for this year:

Reception collects all parcels, and you go down and show them your Uni card and get it- never had any trouble, and by the second term, three different people at reception knew my name from sight (stupid cheap online shopping :p:)

As said washing machines are £1.80 for a wash, £2 for a "super wash" and 60p for the dryer. Be prepared to go down to find all machines in use. I found going down on Sunday morning a good time :p:

Beware of the vending machines- one of them has a habit of stopping every three or so weeks. You can go to reception (a ten second walk around a corner) and claim your pound back. Then go and get it trapped back in the machine a few days later :angel:

Every other week a cleaner cleans your ensuite room- they have keys, and usually arrive anywhere from ten to one in the afternoon. Once a week the kitchen is cleaned, but it is up to you to remove rubbish. As a side note, if you get a cleaner named Sheila please keep the kitchen in a good state (unlike half the people I shared with) as she is a nice person.

Be prepared to bite the bullet and constantly have to take down other peoples rubbish.

Be prepared to have foodstuffs go missing.
Hev456
You WILL need an iron, because even though there is one in every kitchen they suck and burn clothes.

Ok, here's a list of random other things you may not have thought to bring:
-6-strip for plugs, i used 3 this year with everything like laptop, printer, straightners, etc.
-Underbed boxes, for clothes because the wardrobe is tiny!
-A safe, because things like money do get stolen if not kept safe
-Plasters, because everyone will cut/burn/scold themselves at least once
-See-through pencil case, because they are still expected in exams
-Every student discount card you can get your hands on, because.. well.. we're students. Although NUS extra might be a rip-off for some.
-Endless pads of paper, don't use decent paper for revision that you're just gonna throw away, use crappy old yellowing paper, because if you're gonna use a tree, use one that was cut down about 20 years ago.
-A spare mobile phone, in case you drop yours in a bowl of water like i did :redface: your mobile is your lifeline.
-A long-lasting supply of 10p, 20p and 50p's, because the washing machines are £1.80 each wash.

Hope some of that helped, i'll try and put more if i can remember the most random things that you tend to forget until last minute :biggrin:

thanks for that.

Anything i shouldn't bring that i might expect to? Just one set of knives/forks/spoons/cups/plates etc?
Reply 8
Hev456
the washing machines are £1.80 each wash.

You mean you didn't splash out the extra 20p for a Super Wash?! That's simply absurb!
can all students use the washing machines? even if we live of campus eg) if our machine has broken?
Reply 10
whats the difference between normal and super wash, apart from the obvious?

I hope I don't shrink my clothes :ninja:
Reply 11
The Super Wash is SUPER!! I've no idea, though. I think it washes for about 15 minutes longer, and it's only 20p extra. Bargain!

And yeppers, anyone can use the washing machines if they wish. I only know where the Rutherford ones (by the back entrance, ironic yus) and the Parkwood ones (back of Woody's, outside so enjoy walking in boxers and an old vest in the rain to wash all of your clothes, save moneh and whatnot).

Oh, and driers are ****ing hot. Which is both good (mmm, warm pants!) and bard (ouuuch! burning hot jeans button!). Hurr, instead of bad I wrote bard, like that guy who invented the ball-point pen.
Cowberg
The Super Wash is SUPER!! I've no idea, though. I think it washes for about 15 minutes longer, and it's only 20p extra. Bargain!

And yeppers, anyone can use the washing machines if they wish. I only know where the Rutherford ones (by the back entrance, ironic yus) and the Parkwood ones (back of Woody's, outside so enjoy walking in boxers and an old vest in the rain to wash all of your clothes, save moneh and whatnot).

Oh, and driers are ****ing hot. Which is both good (mmm, warm pants!) and bard (ouuuch! burning hot jeans button!). Hurr, instead of bad I wrote bard, like that guy who invented the ball-point pen.

what so i could hypothetically live in off campus accom and walk in with a bag of dirty washing and use the machines?
Reply 13
jermaindefoe
what so i could hypothetically live in off campus accom and walk in with a bag of dirty washing and use the machines?

Would your off-campus place not have a washing machine? :confused: But technically yes you could, maybe not the Tyler ones because you need your keycard to get into those, but maybe the ones in the colleges? I don't actually know, hmm, let me know when you find out :biggrin:
With the washing machines.. I assume they lock for the duration of the wash, so you can leave without fear of someone stealing your clothes?

Or do you have to sit there and gawp at it until it's finished?
Reply 15
GodspeedGehenna
With the washing machines.. I assume they lock for the duration of the wash, so you can leave without fear of someone stealing your clothes?

Or do you have to sit there and gawp at it until it's finished?

I don't think anyone would actually STEAL clothes, unless you had a mink coat or something but then you'd get that dry-cleaned anyway. There is the problem of the 4 washing machines being so in demand that you have to go down a few minutes before your machine is done otherwise you might have to hunt your clothes down.

I've found my stuff in another washer, in a dryer, on the side, and on the floor on occasions.
Reply 16
If my Ben and Jerry's ever goes missing (which will probably be in the first week, as afterwards I won't be able to afford it), I will actually call the police.

No one steals my Cookie Dough and gets away with it.
Reply 17
katkit
If my Ben and Jerry's ever goes missing (which will probably be in the first week, as afterwards I won't be able to afford it), I will actually call the police.

No one steals my Cookie Dough and gets away with it.

:no: dont' ever buy B&J at uni, ever! Unless you can eat it all in one night. I bought a tub of maryland cookies icecream, i bought it one night, next night its half gone without me even touching it. I move it to another part, trying to hide it, next night i go and its like i never bought it. I never saw it again.
This might sound strange but i have no idea what Ben and Jerry's is.
the wolf at door
This might sound strange but i have no idea what Ben and Jerry's is.

:rolleyes:

ice cream :biggrin:

its yummy :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending