The Student Room Group

Annoyed at not being offered accommodation for interview

I live about 3.5 hours away from Cambridge (would be quicker but have to use public transport all the way), and have my first interview at 9.30 am. However they've just emailed to say they're not offering me accommodation the night before, as I don't live far enough away! Do they seriously expect me to get up at 5.30 am on the day of my interviews?!

Sorry, I don't expect anyone to be able to do anything about it, I just wanted to express annoyance at being forced to pay for B&B accommodation. Or do people think that it'd be worth asking them to reconsider?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Alexander
I live about 3.5 hours away from Cambridge (would be quicker but have to use public transport all the way), and have my first interview at 9.30 am. However they've just emailed to say they're not offering me accommodation the night before, as I don't live far enough away! Do they seriously expect me to get up at 5.30 am on the day of my interviews?!

Sorry, I don't expect anyone to be able to do anything about it, I just wanted to express annoyance at being forced to pay for B&B accommodation. Or do people think that it'd be worth asking them to reconsider?

wot college is this? and for what subject?
Reply 2
you can always stay with me on a campbed the night before if that helps.
Reply 3
zip it123
wot college is this? and for what subject?

Downing, Classics

naelse
you can always stay with me on a campbed the night before if that helps.

hehe...thanks for the offer, but I think I'd better go with a proper bed to make absolutely sure I'm as well-rested and alert as possible.
Reply 4
Alexander

But how much further can you get away from Cambridge? Maybe like 4 hours away - but since they're not asking overseas students to interview, in general...?

When did you get this response - i still haven't heard from Trinity yet whether I could stay over: I'm in the same position as you: 9.30am interview, live around that distance away...

So probably not then. :frown:
:cool: RJ
Reply 5
-RJ-
But how much further can you get away from Cambridge? Maybe like 4 hours away - but since they're not asking overseas students to interview, in general...?

When did you get this response - i still haven't heard from Trinity yet whether I could stay over: I'm in the same position as you: 9.30am interview, live around that distance away...

So probably not then. :frown:

Well I live 300 miles away from Cambridge, which is quite far. I think that, combined with the fact that I had a test at 6pm the night before, meant that I was given a place to stay overnight. Also, I was interviewed with a German girl who had come up from the airport - I don;t know how many overseas students they interview though.
Reply 6
Alexander

some colleges just can't accomodate people because a: they don't have the room to, because all their on site accomodation is being used by international students, or b: because they've got people in for conferences as well, hence no accomodation. depends when your interview is usually:i suspect the people having interviews next week cannot stay because nobody leaves cambridge till friday at the earliest
I got up at 5:30 to get to my 9:30 interview.
Reply 8
Downing is a pretty poor college iirc, so they have quite a lot of conferences. It would seem a bit foolish to have conference guest in over the interview period, but you never know with these money grabbing bursars!

A.
Reply 9
blissy
Well I live 300 miles away from Cambridge, which is quite far. I think that, combined with the fact that I had a test at 6pm the night before, meant that I was given a place to stay overnight.

And it all begins to make sense...
How did the interview go?

Reply 10
-RJ-
And it all begins to make sense...
How did the interview go?

I expect it went reasonably well given she's here already? :cool:
Reply 11
Immortal Wombat
I got up at 5:30 to get to my 9:30 interview.

I got a night's free bed for my 9:30am TSA test.
Reply 12
If this was two years ago I could have helped :biggrin: I knew the man in charge for Classics at Downing :biggrin:
Reply 13
Alaric
I expect it went reasonably well given she's here already? :cool:

didn't know
lol

Reply 14
Personally, I would just stay in the B&B. I was able to stay over at college but my mum and dad and boyfriend (lol, I needed as much support as I could get) stayed in a bed and breakfast - they thought it was a good investment! Other people have mentioned why your college might not be able to put you up, but I suppose you could phone them and plead your case if you're particularly annoyed about having pay out for a B&B.
Reply 15
I have an interview at 9:30 too, i live about 2.5 hours away :frown:
I didnt bother asking for accomodation cos i knew i wouldnt get it. I'm going up the night before and staying in a B&B.
Also for Downing btw.
Reply 16
Now you know that you should have applied to Girton :biggrin: :biggrin: , in complete contrast to your situation, they demand that we stay there the night before, so I have to get there at 5pm on the day before........i love you Girton :tongue:
Reply 17
aqeel1101
Now you know that you should have applied to Girton :biggrin: :biggrin: , in complete contrast to your situation, they demand that we stay there the night before, so I have to get there at 5pm on the day before........i love you Girton :tongue:

... for now! :biggrin:
I've been given accomodation to stay at Trinity on the 8th, cause I live in Austria.
Reply 19
I kinda wish I could stay over at Cambridge... :redface: but got no reason to cus my interview isn't until 4:25... pretty late seeing as everyone else's is at 9:30am! - and I live 45min away :biggrin: ahh well it has its advantages :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending