The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
angel266
i'll be applying in to enter uni in 2010
finish AS level in 2009
so when do i apply? (2009?)
dont they put they A* level in in for 2009 students?
xoxoxo

You apply to Medicine the October before you will go to University the September. Basically, you will apply October 2009 for entry in September 2010.

Yes, the A* grade is being introduced for us, however Universities won't use it in their offers - they won't use receipt of an A* as a condition for going to that particular University.
Reply 21
yea im checkin out the AS stuff now..
its not that much harder i dont think for maths & sciences - its all understandable
not seen past papers yet tho
im guessin its gap between A2 and AS where u start needin help from teachers + external resources?
xoxox

& also does it get reall busy with work in 6th form to fit in extra-curricular activities such as DofE gold, voluntry work & a saturday job?
Reply 22
angel266
yea im checkin out the AS stuff now..
its not that much harder i dont think for maths & sciences - its all understandable
not seen past papers yet tho
im guessin its gap between A2 and AS where u start needin help from teachers + external resources?
xoxox

& also does it get reall busy with work in 6th form to fit in extra-curricular activities such as DofE gold, voluntry work & a saturday job?

To achieve your potential at both AS and A2, you'll need to try your hardest and use external resources for both. Remember, a point at AS is equal to a point at A2 but is 10x easier to get.

I'd expect it to get very busy, yes. However all the extracurriculars are required for Medicine. :smile:
Reply 23
Beska
Me also! :yep:

Aren't you applying this autumn? You won't even be able to get the A*. :p:
Reply 24
Draconis
Aren't you applying this autumn? You won't even be able to get the A*. :p:

I'm applying in 2009 for 2010 entry. :smile:
Reply 25
Beska

Oh, ok. Must have been thinking about someone else. You're applying for Medicine then, I assume?
Reply 26
Draconis
Oh, ok. Must have been thinking about someone else. You're applying for Medicine then, I assume?

Definitely!
Reply 27
Beska
Definitely!

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 28
piece_by_piece
A brain would be helpful.
but not essential
Reply 29
Beska

oryt so you've done ur gcses??
nice1 im waitin 4 results,
what grades did u get btw, also im guessin u've taken bio&chem 4 alevel,
tbh i can't stand bio.. but i need it obv.. lol
apparenlty theres more understanding to it rather than facts like in chem in phys??

xoxox
Reply 30
angel266
oryt so you've done ur gcses??
nice1 im waitin 4 results,
what grades did u get btw, also im guessin u've taken bio&chem 4 alevel,
tbh i can't stand bio.. but i need it obv.. lol
apparenlty theres more understanding to it rather than facts like in chem in phys??

xoxox

Yes, I've just completed my GCSE's. :smile:

At Sixth Form I'm hoping to take Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Psychology and Ethics. It remains to be seen if Biology needs more understanding than the other subjects - however I expect that all subjects will need to be equally understood to be able to succeed.

The fact that there's brand new syllabi for every subject due to the inclusion of the A*, it's hard to tell.

I wish you all the best with your GCSE results.
Reply 31
I have the new book for Edexcel Biology and Chemistry - there is definitely more memorising in Bio than Chem. Chem looks to be more about understanding concepts and applying them, whereas Bio seems like a lot of regurgitation (if that's even a word).
Reply 32
Some very good advice from Beska on this thread so far.

Going back to your first point about making a decision - By all means get some work experience together now and see how you're feeling about it. Talk to anyone who'll listen and get all the opinion good and bad (But don't let anyone make your mind up, no matter how much they insist). You're right in saying it is a lifestyle choice and massive commitment so make sure you understand it and you're in the right frame of mind when you start. If you aren't ready or aren't sure, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Many of the best doctors and medical students I know didn't come to it till they were past 25, for one reason or another. The thing being, its easier to take another career route or degree at 18 and switch into medicine rather than the other way round, for a whole world of reasons (The most practical one being a debt burden designed around a high-earning career ladder).

If it comes to UCAS application day and you think you'd rather have a more normal time at university for three years, study something for the enjoyment of it and then come back to medicine in your twenties when you might have a better head for it, then I would wholeheartedly recommend that.
Reply 33
AEH
Some very good advice from Beska on this thread so far.

Thanks. :smile:
Beska great advice, I could not have put it any better.
Reply 35
maze.e
Beska great advice, I could not have put it any better.

Appreciate it. I don't have any insider knowledge though. :no:
Draconis
Well, someone with three A*s will have achieved 90-100% at A2, whereas an AAA candidate will have 80-89%. So yes, the A* student will have better results. This does not mean that the A* student will get preference over the A student when it comes to university admissions. If it does, it will not affect you and me at all. Plus, unless you're applying after A2s, you won't have A*s when applying. The A* is for A2 only.

Well not quite.

A* = A overall in the whole subject + over 90% in your A2 half.

So you could get a B with 79% for AS, then get 95% in your A2, and get an A*; but the same doesn't apply in reverse (95% in AS and 79% in A2 gives an A).
I hate this new A* thing, I would have gotten 3A*, is there anyways I can get new certificats with A*.
Reply 38
maze.e
I hate this new A* thing, I would have gotten 3A*, is there anyways I can get new certificats with A*.

Nope.

The whole course has been restructured this year, so there's no possible way to cash-in previous results for an A*. :frown:
Beska
Nope.

The whole course has been restructured this year, so there's no possible way to cash-in previous results for an A*. :frown:

Oh yeah forgot about that, the problem with this is that future employers may overlook our As for A*.

Latest

Trending

Trending