The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
mdhey89
I heard someone say today that no-one at Oxbridge is there for the structure of the course or the atmosphere of the university etc. Everyone applying to go or already there are simply prestige whores (which I'm not necessarily saying is a bad thing). I am inclined to agree. What do you think?

*Sighs*

Reasons why I applied and subsequently went to Oxford:

* The opportunity to research exactly what I liked. As in EXACTLY. No "pick from a list of 100" like at York; no "pick from a lits of 6 and rely on your coursemates" like at Warwick. Make up your own project, collar a superviser and do it all yourself.

* The opportunities for practical work. The botanic gardens, oh about half a mile from my dept. Wytham woods right THERE. And the amazing first year field course. And Portugal in my 2nd year, which the uni paid for half of.

* The chance to discuss the topics I was studying with a world expert EVERY WEEK. Hell the fact that now Andrew Smith, Robert Scotland, Martin Speight, Miltos Tsiantis, John Pannell... these people not only know my name, they know ME. They know who I am as a person.

* The fact that there are 3 copyright libraries that I know of in Britain and uh they own one.

* The money. While at Oxford I have been given scholarships and prizes for exam results, money for travel, money for non-academic travel, money for music lessons, money for rowing.... the list goes on.

* And the insane amount of music, sport and other extra curriculars that I have been involved in. Versus e.g. ONE orchestra in Newcastle. (While here I've played in upwards of a dozen... probably more like 20...)
I personally am applying not only because of the prestige but because of the tutorial system, active drama scene and the layout of the English course - I think the course would really suit me and that should be the main factor when choosing where to apply, in my opinion.
Reply 22
Audrey Hepburn
OP, did they look like this?

Spoiler

:yes:

Good Lord.

You're a little odd, aren't you?
Well, of course a great number of people will be there for the learning environment over prestige. However, I would say that most Oxonians/Cantabrigians do enjoy the prestige, and that in a certain number of people over a certain amount of time this can breed arrogance and grandiloquence. I can't blame them, as I'd be very proud if I attended Oxbridge -- only slightly more so than I am excited about going to Manchester though -- and it's not a problem as long as they don't act ostentatious. There is a danger of overstepping that faintly visible line, however; treading on the other side can most definitely set people's backs up.
Reply 24
I want to apply to Oxford because I love the place, its beautiful, and I think I'd be happy there. Its got a good reputation and job prospects. Part of it may be the prestige, but there are many other reasons as well

Edit - the main attraction is the college system
I think many people apply to Oxbridge for the prestige. Many of them don't have a realistic chance to get in. I'm not planning to go to the UK for uni, but if I would, I still wouldn't apply for Oxbridge, because they think they're like a 'cut above the rest' or something so they can do whatever they please. It's not like they're the best unis in existence. Sure, they have reputation for a reason, but for many people an other university might be a better choice. I just don't see the multiple round admission process and personal interview justified.
Reply 26
Mangaartist
Sure, they have reputation for a reason, but for many people an other university might be a better choice. I just don't see the multiple round admission process and personal interview justified.

So how exactly would YOU differentiate between 3-10 candidates for each place with identical academic records? :rolleyes: And it's not multiple rounds... you apply... you get interviewed... you get / don't get a place.
MSB
Good Lord.

You're a little odd, aren't you?

Because I'm extremely gifted at finding pictures of people with all manner of chips on their shoulder?

Yes, yes I am :yep:
mdhey89
I heard someone say today that no-one at Oxbridge is there for the structure of the course or the atmosphere of the university etc. Everyone applying to go or already there are simply prestige whores (which I'm not necessarily saying is a bad thing). I am inclined to agree. What do you think?

I don't know. Most people I know who applied to oxbridge applied because it was the best course for them and they liked the university. Or because everyone in their school was going. One of those. Generally, Oxford and Camrbridge are very good for most courses and also for networking.

I applied because it was the best place for my course. And I got drunk at a party and someone (also drunk) started telling me I was really clever and should apply to Oxbridge. And it seemed like a good idea to edit my ucas application while still drunk. And then when I'd sobered up, I thought 'what the hell'.

Also, what's a prestige whore? Someone who sells their body for prestige? I don't know anyone who sits around having a really miserable time having wanted to go somewhere else purely for MA Cantab or MA Oxon after their name. The prestige of Oxbridge is certainly a contributory factor when you're considering which offers to accept, but it's not the sole reason I (or indeed anyone else I know) is not dropping out and going to study somewhere else.
Reply 29
Let me put it another way.

Oxbridge has prestige because their academic, research and extracurricular activities are world class and renowned. They're the best in the country, and one of the very best in the world. Without this, they wouldn't have their prestige. They're not terrible universities that only rely on their prestige, no, it's quite contrary to that.

Therefore, saying to went for Oxbridge for the prestige is a good reason. You want academic excellence. You want great social clubs and great atmosphere. You want to become the top in your field. I don't see this as a bad thing?

I'm guessing this kind of theme here: anybody in a better University than you is only in it for the prestige; anybody in a worse University than you is dumb.

I'm not a student at Oxbridge, this is still my view.
I went for the prestige but that prestige is there for a reason, it's not like it's an inflation of the worth of the uni. And sports facilities and general hand outs are good at Oxbridge, so why not?
Reply 31
Audrey Hepburn
OP, did they look like this?

Spoiler

:yes:

Hahaha! Repped.
Reply 32
mdhey89

Generalisations like that are always true :yep:
Reply 33
My original reason was prestige - I was thinking, if I don't apply there and after graduating in law from a lesser university I find myself unemployed and penniless I will always wonder "what if..." so I went for it :biggrin: Plus the fact that many of the lecturers also wrote the textbooks and the benefit of having supervisions with them, were definite factors :biggrin:

EDIT: I am fully aware that going to a non-oxbridge university does not mean that you will never get a job :biggrin: I am just a natural worrier so I couldn't take the risk.Now I worry that because my course is so difficult I won't get the 2.i I need and I'll be jobless and penniless once more :frown:
Reply 34
There may be an element of truth, though mostly I think it's just rubbish. To apply to Oxbridge and get in, you simply have to be the best. Sure, Oxbridge is prestigious, but it is for a reason - it has leading academics and the best students apply (not only those who did extremely well at A-Levels and other qualifications, but also those who actually have a thirst for knowledge and enjoy learning and are actually bright and talented).
Reply 35
I'm there primarily for the gowns because I can run around pretending to be batman.
Also, what does a prestige whore (sounds classy) do exactly? Do they pimp themselves out to people with double-barrolled surnames who hunt foxes? Work the pavements of Chelsea? Makes me feel like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.
Reply 36
Cognito
I'm there primarily for the gowns because I can run around pretending to be batman.
Also, what does a prestige whore (sounds classy) do exactly? Do they pimp themselves out to people with double-barrolled surnames who hunt foxes? Work the pavements of Chelsea? Makes me feel like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.

Oh yes- the gowns are an important factor. Which is why I don't see the point in Homerton :confused: I chose my college for many reasons, one of which is that the gown is blue with a velvet trim- very classy and also rather different to the usual black :biggrin:
Reply 37
Cognito

I applied so I could pretend to be the Indian Harry Potter in my gown :cool:
Llamaaa
Oh yes- the gowns are an important factor. Which is why I don't see the point in Homerton :confused: I chose my college for many reasons, one of which is that the gown is blue with a velvet trim- very classy and also rather different to the usual black :biggrin:

Homerton have gowns. Gowns ripped off us, but gowns nonetheless. I still don't see the point of Homerton though :smile:
Rudrax
I applied so I could pretend to be the Indian Harry Potter in my gown :cool:

Harry Puther

Latest

Trending

Trending