The Student Room Group

Semi-Pinacol Reaction

Hi guys

I wonder if anyone could show me the mechanism for the attached reaction. Specifically the alcoholic alkene forming the carbocation using acid. I cant seem to find it or work it out.
Dont worry about the other 2 on the image, just the one which is circled and I only need it up until the carbocation is formed as the rest is fine.
Thanks in advance - its really appreciated as this has been driving me crazy!
Even had the molymod out :biggrin:
Theres no image there i'm afraid :p:

The semipinacol is essentially just the pinacol rearrangement with 'no choice'. I've attached an example using tosyl chloride and compared it to the pinacol rearrangement of the corresponding diol. Theres a special case of the semipinacol called the 'Tiffeneau-Demjanov reaction' where beta-amino-alcohols are treated with HNo2/HCl to form the diazonium salt, but I'm not sure you want that :smile:

Dstbgre
Even had the molymod out :biggrin:

ooo i say :wink:
Reply 2
EierVonSatan
Theres no image there i'm afraid :p:

Whoops lol

Here is the image.

Thanks for the reply but I am already familiar with the pinacol reaction which you have specified above. Its the specific one in the image - I just cant work out how the H+ eliminates the CH2!
Dstbgre
Thanks for the reply but I am already familiar with the pinacol reaction which you have specified above. Its the specific one in the image - I just cant work out how the H+ eliminates the CH2!

It doesn't eliminate the CH2 - the alkene picks up the proton so that R4 = CH3 leaving the positive charge on the most stable carbon. :smile:
Reply 4
EierVonSatan
It doesn't eliminate the CH2 - the alkene picks up the proton so that R4 = CH3 leaving the positive charge on the most stable carbon. :smile:

*slaps self*
I cant believe I didnt think of that :o:

Thanks! Its been bugging me all day!
Dstbgre
*slaps self*
I cant believe I didnt think of that :o:

Thanks! Its been bugging me all day!

lol not to worry, sometimes its hard to see the 'obvious' ones :smile:

Latest