The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Housing for International Student

I'm looking to join Lancaster in the Spring of 09 and debating on what to do for accommodation. From what I understand, 2nd year and 3rd year students typically live in housing off campus. Being that I'm a 3rd year, here in the United States, I'm guessing it would be be better for me to live in a house off campus, compared to a community on campus. I looked at Lancaster Union's website, and took a look at the places I can stay at off campus, and they seemed alright.

Being that I'm a 3rd year student coming from the States, would you recommend I live on campus in a community, or off campus in a house?
Reply 1
Hi, will you be studying abroad or doing something else.

if you are on a study abroad program i would surgest living on campus, there are quite alot of upper year students on campus,

its generally easier to live on campus, and as such it stops you haveing to worry about finding housing and the like, and its easier to go hastle people if you need stuff.

the number of people you will be living near on campus will also be alot higher, thus uts quicker/easier to meet new people!

I studied abroad in my 3rd year and loved living on campus, and would highly recomend it to any other international student [it was great fun, but simply because it is easier is the best reason, plus you have enough other things to deal with in the first few days that traveling home again is not the best thing to look forward to in the evening!]
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
I had american friends in first year who were in their 2nd year of uni. Got on with them fine :smile:

I would recommend living on campus as it will probably be easier for you to sort out than living off campus.

You mention you are arriving for Spring 09, so that is lent term/summer term right? If that is the case, I think on-campus will be easier to get accomodation for 2 terms, since the university specifically accomodate overseas students. I am not sure if the private landlords do this..
Reply 3
What is the difference in a standard and en-suite room? I'm thinking of getting a standard because the price is a lot cheaper (weak USD).
Reply 4
about £20 / $40 I think.

Standard Accommodation is fine here and there is the option for you to have either.

Most Study Abroad Students are encouraged to stay on campus, I don't think live off-campus is really an option. Plenty of Second and Third Years at Lancaster stay on campus. I'll be starting my third year in October and have spent my past two year on campus.
Reply 5
Any thoughts on the Townhouses?
Reply 6
LaurenFah lives there.. they were brand new this January so are on the high end (price wise) of standard accommodation.
Reply 7
townhouses are pretty cool, and I recommend living on campus if you're coming from overseas and at the start of 2009.

also, come join the american football team because people from the usa are better than everyone else
Reply 8
I had standard accom for first term, even though I first wanted ensuite. However I didnt find it a problem whatsoever, and I would possibly go as far to say that ensuite isnt even worth it (imo anyway).

Townhouses were quite cool, but I think they are only slightly cheaper than ensuite next year. I generally enjoyed living in them, however make sure you share toilet with someone clean!
Reply 9
The town houses are very nice,

the rooms are quite a resonable size [ http://www.lancs.ac.uk/depts/cro/townhbed.gif ] see that pic,

you have 12 per house, and a very well equiped kitchen [3 large frige freezers, a better ratio than most kitchen per person]

Infact all the rooms look very simular to that in the new accomodation, sharing bathrooms etc is not a problem generally, so go for what ever takes your fancy

Latest

Trending

Trending