The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Alaric
I only did about 6-7hours a week at school (and that's including lessons :wink:) so I'm not you're stereotypical workaholic type, but I'm trying my best to be one!

I probably do 5hours a day here now, I should probably be doing more but I'm not really that bothered at the moment.

That's more like it. :biggrin:
Reply 81
Free music concert in Fitzwilliam Museum at 13:15. Come along if you feel stressed.
Reply 82
Don't get me wrong, I was not expecting the workload here to be easy or light in the slightest, but for some reason, I do seem to be getting far more work than the 2nd years in my subject did last year (according to them anyway).

Even more irritating is the fact that the first year economists at other colleges also get less work than those at my college, almost half in some cases.

I was expecting it to be very tough, as almost every applicant should, but it is A LOT harder than I expected, so don't kid yourself applicants that once you get in, you've jumped the biggest hurdle...the race is only just starting.
Reply 83
MadNatSci
Well then you're very lucky in that you can cope with all the work without batting an eyelid. Either you're a genius or you're doing Land Economy. Congrats to you.

I think he's a NatSci - but probably doing no biology. Physical sciences are so much less stressful.

Ben
Reply 84
Ben.S.
I think he's a NatSci - but probably doing no biology. Physical sciences are so much less stressful.

Ben

I thought Lagz was a compsci tbh

If you don't care about physics then you can be more relaxed in the first year I guess and the first term isn't stressful in the compsci second year. I guess it would be if you don't go to lectures because the most important course in the year doesn't have good notes :smile:.

Alaric.
Reply 85
Alaric

If you don't care about physics then you can be more relaxed in the first year I guess and the first term isn't stressful in the compsci second year. I guess it would be if you don't go to lectures because the most important course in the year doesn't have good notes :smile:.

Alaric.

Perhaps he is - he was doing natsci maths last year, but I suppose compscis to do that as well.

Ben
Reply 86
Alaric

Alaric.

CompSci has been good so far... but that's only 8 of 60 weeks gone. I have a year left...
Reply 87
Tonight I am cultivating a relationship with vodka.
Ok, to anyone who's stressed: Do you wish you hadn't applied to Cambridge?
If not, why not ie what do you get in return for all the stress?
Reply 89
blissy
Tonight I am cultivating a relationship with vodka.

Can I join you?
Reply 90
hitchhiker_13

What do I get in return? Good question. A good job after 3 years of depression...
hitchhiker_13

Why does anyone do anything difficult? For the personal satisfaction of having done it perhaps. If you aren't pushing yourself, what's the point?
Apologies for ranting post. Was very tired and depressed this morning and just felt like those particular posts were implying that I wasn't committed to my degree, or that I was just crap at it. Crap I may be, though I don't appreciate it being pointed out; but I am committed.

The Land Economy comment was my one attempt at humour, sorry! I don't mean it; the land economists do seem to do some work at least :wink:

I suspect physics is a good deal more stressful than biology :smile: though it depends how hard you find the subject I guess.

Do I wish I hadn't applied? No. I am glad I applied and I am happy that I am here. I loved most of the term; we are very lucky to be here. I'm just very glad it's nearly at the end of the term now. I am very very tired.

The ironic thing is I miss term-time loads during the holidays :rolleyes: even when I'm here...
Reply 93
MadNatSci

I suspect physics is a good deal more stressful than biology :smile: though it depends how hard you find the subject I guess.

You've got to be kidding! No essays - what more do you want? It's actually possible to get everything right in physics.

Ben
After reading this, maybe I won't be so depressed when they reject me.
Reply 95
london_bum
After reading this, maybe I won't be so depressed when they reject me.

I think that's the best attitude - of course only if you don't get in!

Ben
Ben.S.
I think that's the best attitude - of course only if you don't get in!

Ben

Hah! There's no doubt in my mind as to the outcome (unfortunately).

You're there already, right? What do you study?
Reply 97
london_bum
Hah! There's no doubt in my mind as to the outcome (unfortunately).

You're there already, right? What do you study?

1B NatSci - chemistry and biochemistry.

Ben
Ben.S.
You've got to be kidding! No essays - what more do you want? It's actually possible to get everything right in physics.

Ben

But it's also possible to get everything wrong, which isn't the case in an essay orientated subject. I would have thought the fear of complete failure overrides the occasional essay crisis.
Ben.S.
1B NatSci - chemistry and biochemistry.

Ben

Oh. Cool. No idea what biochemistry is (despite UCL, Imperial and King's sending me lots of information about it), but still, cool.

Latest

Trending

Trending