The Student Room Group

RAF Medical

I suffer from a mild form of Raynaud’s Disease, some of you may have heard of it. I'm 17 and it isn't uncommon with people my age and with most people it stops occuring in their early 20's, I also haven't been to a GP to get it diagnosed but it's hereditry and so i'm 90% sure I have it. Although i haven't had it that badly for quite some time now
I spoke to my careers officer and he said it's very hard to get in with it, but to try anyway. I know i'm babbling on a bit but, Just wondering if anyone had failed a medical in the armed forces, particually the RAF with Raynaud’s or just advice from anyone in the know.
Thanks,
Iain

Scroll to see replies

Raynauds disease is an automatic bar to service in the RAF and I suspect the other Services as well. If you do have Raynauds you will have to make other career choices.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/istherafforme/health.cfm

On the other hand, if you have never had it officially diagnosed, you don't officially have Raynauds, so you could stfu about it and see what happens. Up to you, but any mention of it and your application is likely to stop dead in the water.
Reply 2
So do you think, as i don't have it that seriously and it's certainly not going to affect my long term health, I should just leave it and hope they don't pick up on it, or check it out and hope I don't have it?
Is it the sort of thing where if you have had it in the past, but don't have it now they will still turn you down?
Reply 3
Raynauds is not something that you have, then dont have unfortunately. You may have no symptoms at any one time but you still have the disease. Unless of course you have a major operation which will of course mean that you have officially been diagnosed with it in the first place. A very close friend of mine has just been medically discharged from the Navy because of it. She fought tooth and nail to stay in but had to have 6 monthly reviews and eventually they decided enough was enough and finding postings for her was getting impossible. Raynauds means that you will be unable to be deployed to extremely hot or cold climates as this could/would trigger the symptoms. Also symptoms come and go with the seasons so outdoor work may be restricted during the winter.

From a manning point of view this obviously causes problems with drafts/postings etc and you would be permanently medically downgraded and this in turn would affect any prospect of promotion. Also if you do get a posting and suddenly the weather turns or you are diverted due to an emergency, this would also cause problems as you wouldnt be able to do it. All this of course is if you get in. Only way of finding out for certain is to see your GP and AFCO. If for some reason they find out that you never disclosed your symptoms further down the line during your application, unfortunately it could be curtains there and then.
Reply 4
For me it is hereditry (not sure if that's spelt right), and when it is hereditry then it is very mild. For most people they have no further symptoms when they are in the their early 20's. When i was researching it some people said they had the symptoms from 13 to anbout 16 but it turned out to be something to do with growth. There's still hope and i'm definately still going to apply. I think if i wait til i apply after college and see if it affects me this winter. Did your friend have a more severe form of the disease?
I think you should learn the language. You do not have Raynauds, if you do, then you can't join the Armed Forces. They don't say anything about 'except mild forms' or 'except forms in remission' or 'unless you only had it once when you were tiny and can't even remember it' or the asthma favourite 'unless you didn't even need to take any medication for it'. As I understand it, it's a genetic condition, you either have the genes for it, or you don't, in which case, you either have it or you don't.

Symptoms are not the point, what the RAF is concerned about is a predisposition to a medical condition at any point between the age of 17 and 55 whether directly or indirectly associated or possibly aggravated by the demand of military service (and thus sue-able).

You only chance is if you can learn to stop self-diagnosing and saying you have any form of Raynauds, and that they don't ask you about any family history of such problems. I can't remember if they do or not. If you can't live with that on your conscience, choose another career.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but many of us have had to sort out similar conundrums, usually vis a vis hay fever, and similar questions get asked on here nearly weekly. It's a clear choice - stfu or go for another career.
i also think that whilst you may not be suffering with the symtoms now (this is if you have it) it is not fair on you or the RAF to apply. Imagine if you did get posted somewhere and your condition caused you to do a bad job/put one of your fellows in danger....
Reply 7
yeah i'll probably go for the stfu option and hope global warming kicks in!
cheers for the advice and alot more people have alot worse problems than me so i'll stay positive.
Reply 8
out of interest, how do they diagnose people for this disease, i've heard of putting your hands in ice cold water and seeing how long it takes for them to return to normal temperature, anything above 20 mins isn't normal.
Reply 9
If it is hereditory then perhaps the best place to start for information would be with those family members that have it?? Like JV has already pointed out, what happens if you suddenly start experiencing some kind of problems out in the field. You could put yourself and your oppo in danger. Is it worth the risk? Like I said, you really should speak with your family and your GP, and they will be able to advise you better.
well im in exactly the same boat as iainthegreat, nd i second that motion :beer:
Reply 11
I watched someone SUFFER with raynauds (they're out now, left for different reasons). They really struggled during the basic phase of training and had to wear gloves all the time. This was in May. I wouldn't recommend trying with it if it's still going to affect you. Imagine standing around for hours in the cold holding a rifle.

However, if you can tolerate it and it's not on your medical records, it's your choice.
Depends how badly you want it. Either as TPD has said - STFU big time and switch AFCO's too if I were you having spoken to them about it or forget it. Not everything heredity gets passed of as genetics change each time with the input of different genes.
GR29KHS
I watched someone SUFFER with raynauds (they're out now, left for different reasons). They really struggled during the basic phase of training and had to wear gloves all the time. This was in May. I wouldn't recommend trying with it if it's still going to affect you. Imagine standing around for hours in the cold holding a rifle.

However, if you can tolerate it and it's not on your medical records, it's your choice.

Yeah I don't get it that badly, some people have reactions just getting stuff out of the fridge. The only time I get a reaction is when a. It's really windy and cold, i'm ok when it's not windy!
an b. when i'm in the cold sea for a long time, and even then it doesn't ruin my surfing skills (I can almost stand up!)
Cheers for advice guys, applying striaght after college
Reply 14
I am sorry to change the topic, but i could do with some advice, i ve just been told i have failed my medical, as i am currantly below the medical standard required for joining the Raf, i think this is becasue i said i have Ibs! But i have the mildest form of Ibs and it is controllable, i have been the doctors within the past 4 months so i dont know if that is the reason, I dont know wheather to appeal this descision, as i dont know if its a big no no, to get in, i am devastated :frown: Can anyone give me some advice?
How is it controllable? I think the rules are that nothing that requires long term/permanent medication to be controlled is acceptable.

Read the health page on the careers site,
http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/istherafforme/health.cfm

It clearly states

Your application would be rejected if:

you have a disease that needs long-term medication or replacement therapy.

So if your IBS falls under this then you have no case for appeal. If it doesn't, then you have to actually find something wrong with the application process. You can't appeal just on the basis that you want them to change their decision, or take a second look at your case, you have to positively offer them new information, or find fault in the process.
Reply 16
It occurs when i eat pastry, if i dont eat it then i have no problem, i did nt think it would be a problem but obviously it is, does that make me pmu? Although it states currently below the medical standard does that mean i could re apply in 6 months, having not been to the doctors for that time?
Reply 17
By TPD's definition of long term medication and controlable 'illness' women in general shouldn't be allowed in the RAf....

I personally AM on long term medication. Once every three months I get an injection that stops my periods, the Depo contraceptive. A must for women in deployment, makes being out in the field so much more comfortable. Been on it the last 5 years and I can go up to 9 to 12 months without another injection now before they start reoccuring. (Have been warned not to expect having kids anytime soon)

The bonus to this, and the reason for me going into detail, is that have had the added effect of near enough neutralising any IBS I may have had. Never been diagnoised myself, MAY have gotten it from my mum but I personally put it down to 'that time of the month'

I'm sure the RAF won't mind me taking regular contraceptives.

btw, if this wasn't obvious I'm throwing a big hint to Tango :wink:
Reply 18
I have been diagnosed with Ibs tho(the mildest form), and it flares up only when i eat pastry, this is a big pain, it does not require long term or permanent treatmeant, and i just would like to know if i will be able to apply in 6 months if i have not visited the doctors with a problem, I applied for the position of dental nurse, so its not like i ll be out on the feild??
Reply 19
If your not on medication and all it involves is a 'special diet' ie no pastry - I'm sure they can accomodate that.

I think it's in regards of pain killers or the heart medication that has to be taken exactly 9am everyday or you collapse of a heart attack type of thing :smile:

Basically Don't mention it unless they do. More people are effected by IBS than people realise and the majority of Doctors will shrug off mild cases as a 'don't stuff your face with the thing that triggers it and your fine.'

Hmm I wonder what Gregory House would say to someone with IBS...

*is currently addicted to the series*

Latest