The Student Room Group

Please help! Re: Pharmacy and Biology

Hi this is going to sound strange, but here goes...

I really love Biology and considered doing it at uni but i also really wanted to do Pharmacy!

my plan was to apply for Biological Sciences at Oxford because the course looks really good and then maybe go onto a phd or something to get me in line for a career after. If i didnt get into ox i wanted to just do Pharmacy at another institution - the reason is because i wanted to go to ox as i love the colleges, and the course, but if i didnt get in would rather do pharmacy somewhere else.

Can anyone please advise me on how i can combine biology and pharmacy in a personal statement, i've done one purely for bio and talked about books such as The selfish gene, and that im into genetics - but how can that be applied to pharmacy!?

im really stuck. If anyone could helo it'd be greatly appreciated!
:smile:
Reply 1
anyone?
Pharmacogenomics? how drugs affect the natural working order of the body (aka pharmacology)?
Reply 3
To be honest i would just apply for a pharmacology degree, they have a fair few biology modules within them (my best friend in first year was a pharmacologist and she did loads of the same biology modules as me.) and at mot unis they will let you choose some of the modules yourself. Just pick the biological modules. Liverpool has a very good pharmacology course, might be worth looking up.
A biology PS should be ok for Pharmacy. Stick some sentences in about wanting to help people, and being fascinated by the human body and you'll be fine. You should maybe mention Chemistry too, but don't if it means you have to put it in an obvious way or it'll stick out that you're putting it in as an afterthought.
Reply 5
cool, thanks guys. im just worried that the tutors might see the bits where ive written about stuff like reading into genetics as non 'dedicated' to pharmacy
Reply 6
When i was in A2 i had a similar dilemma. Biochem or pharmacy. I wanted to apply at oxford for biochem. Many institutions like Bristol and even imperial said it was okay to write a pharmacy statement than send a biochem one to the admisions tutor. This is cause they hav loads of medic applicants who do the same. I then phoned oxford...
They said if ur personal statement isnt completely deidicated dont bother applying...
My advice is this- If ur personal statement isnt 100% dedicated to biological sciences than i really wudnt bother applying to oxford...

Latest

Trending

Trending