Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

iTunes keeps stuttering..

Announcements Posted on
    • 17 followers

You probably could do with an iPod/iTunes perma thread in here there seem to be quite a few enquires :p:

Anyhoo, ever since, I don't know when, if I've been listening to iTunes for over an hour or so it will stutter...usually if I'm switching between internet pages or something similar.

Does anyone have any ideas why and if so how I could go about stopping it doing this, it's annoying :hmpf:

Edit: It also does it if I open a new tab on firebox or refresh a page..
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just use WMP or Winamp instead?

Hate using iTunes for playing back music.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're not syncing your iPod at the same time are you? I get the same problem then.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem. I ended up just having to close and re-open iTunes every hour or so.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Same here, it is annoying!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never had this :/ That's really quite odd.

EDIT: does a repair of iTunes fix it? (control panel > add/remove programs > itunes > repair)
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    I've never had this :/ That's really quite odd.

EDIT: does a repair of iTunes fix it? (control panel > add/remove programs > itunes > repair)
    ditto, i've never had this problem. Have you the most recent version?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    No one else has asked, so I might as well do: Windows or OS X?

(I dunno if it'll be OS X, the way it handles audio, the whole system could be jammed solid and iTunes never stutters. Which is annoying, but amusing I think)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i get the same problem
    i usualy jsut end up switching the wireless off for a while.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get the same...highly annoying at time...
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BruceTaylor)
    No one else has asked, so I might as well do: Windows or OS X?

(I dunno if it'll be OS X, the way it handles audio, the whole system could be jammed solid and iTunes never stutters. Which is annoying, but amusing I think)
    It's windows XP.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I see. Well I dunno then, the Windows version of iTunes has always been a bit of a lesser concern to apple, so it's pretty ****, I've found.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Every now and again my internet cuts out, if I have iTunes running at the same time it sometimes starts stuttering. Right clicking the network connection and doing "Repair" fixes my internet connection and then iTunes stops stuttering.

It's rare, and it never does it during normal internet use for me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had tried every suggestion I could find on google to fix the stuttering apart from re-installing Windows XP until I found a solution that works for me. Maybe it will work for you.

I've got Windows XP Service Pack 3, 2 gigs of ram and it was stuttering badly.

To fix this all I had to do was go to Task Manager by pressing ctrl-alt-del, right click on iTunes.exe under the Processes tab and set priority to Above Normal.

You will have to do this every time you use it unless you create a .bat file to make it happen automatically.

This is how I created the bat file (below). You will need to change the bit after "abovenormal" to wherever you have saved iTunes. Mine is saved on my P drive in the itunes folder, but yours will be saved somewhere else.

I opened Notepad and typed the following:

start /abovenormal p:/itunes/itunes.exe

Then Save As itunesloader.bat

Now all you have to do is double-click on that bat file to open iTunes in above normal priority mode every time.

Hope this helps some frustrated people out there.

Damien

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 28, 2009
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sound and vision threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.