The Student Room Group

Chaotic Inflation Theory

O.k I'm not actually a physics student, I'm a film student and for the next part of my course I'm planning on making a short conversational/documentry on bubbles. For this i'm going to use a mixture of fact, opinions (built upon the facts) and short pieces of prose.

Anyway, if anyone is familiar with the Chaotic Inflation Theory, and wouldn't mind helping me out a bit, I'd like to know peoples thoughts upon this theory to use in my film.

Thankyou very much for your time :smile:
Reply 1
Hmm - I know chaos theory and I know inflation theory but i dont know chaotic inflation theory.
1. Get a balloon.
2. Get a dice.
3. Roll.
4. On a 4+, blow into the neck of the balloon for one second.
5. On a 1-3, let air out of the balloon for one second.
6. Repeat until balloon explodes, collapses into a singularity or whatever.

Chaotic inflation theory reinvented :biggrin:
Reply 3
Son of Makuta
1. Get a balloon.
2. Get a dice.
3. Roll.
4. On a 4+, blow into the neck of the balloon for one second.
5. On a 1-3, let air out of the balloon for one second.
6. Repeat until balloon explodes, collapses into a singularity or whatever.

Chaotic inflation theory reinvented :biggrin:

Would you mind if I play around with that idea? It's rather amusing ^.^
apresmoi
Would you mind if I play around with that idea? It's rather amusing ^.^

Go ahead. Might even get you some bonus marks... If you get an A rep me :biggrin:

Just don't play around with it around me, I'm globophobic :biggrin:
To explain something like this, especially to a non-physicist, would take a long time, probably about 7 years to understand it fully (the timescale of a BSc, MSc and PhD). Even the basic foundations of these type of theories are far from basic.

If your talking about bubbles I suggest you look up what calculus of variations is and how a bubbles surface area/volume/shape is an extremum.
Reply 6
I'm not creating the film to explain the mathematics, or go to in depth into the theory. I just want to represent both sides of the story, kind of fact v.s opinion. Opinions created from scientific theories etc, Its a bit more complicated then that, and i'm basicly just at sketching stage, playing around and mapping ideas.

Mostly i'm creating a short film about thoughts on bubbles. Its going to be a riot.....

Its times like these I really question why I put these things on TSR :biggrin: haha.
I just can't see how you can make a short story about this, its such an abstract area of physics it is difficult to paint a picture to show what is actually going on and how you tie that in with bubbles is beyond me. However...

Inflationary theories were put forward to explain some big problems in physics, like the horizon problem and the flatness problem. Inflation isn't yet confirmed experimentally but it is a good candidate to explain these problems. Anything more than that requires some knowledge of physics/maths.

Latest