The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
NB: information from this post is now on the TSR wiki: Applying to Oxbridge
(edited 10 years ago)
The lack of replies says one thing loud and clear - you answered all our questions in a great way - thanks soo much, you've saved me lots of time :smile:
A great guide from FJ :woo:

I've found this page though which shows the universities response to many issues such as the usefulness of the Extended Project, personal statements, Oxbridge Applications and the A* at A Level.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/responses/
I believe most, if not all, Colleges are now asking for one A* in a relevant subject if you're applying for a Science/Engineering course.

Interestingly, Imperial are also asking for the A* but Oxford are not.
Reply 5
i really have a dream that one day i can have an oppurtunity of studying at cam uni~ who can help me?
Reply 6
JakeyTheSnake
I believe most, if not all, Colleges are now asking for one A* in a relevant subject if you're applying for a Science/Engineering course.

Interestingly, Imperial are also asking for the A* but Oxford are not.

All subjects/colleges at Cambridge now have standard offers of A*AA. It's not just science/engineering.
jcb914
All subjects/colleges at Cambridge now have standard offers of A*AA. It's not just science/engineering.

Except some colleges have various other 'standard' offers. E.g. Downing has stated arts applicants will have a standard offer of AAA, whilst sciences have A*AA as standard (see http://www.dow.cam.ac.uk/dow_server/admissions/standardoffers.html). Churchill now has its standard Law offer at A*A*AA (see http://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/applying/courses/law).
Reply 8
What the heck do you write in the Additional Personal Statement? :s-smilie:
Reply 9
pkuer
i really have a dream that one day i can have an oppurtunity of studying at cam uni~ who can help me?

I share a similar dream. Don't listen to people who say don't think you'll make it. Or don't hold yourself to one too much.

However to contrast, make sure you are actually being realistic when comparing yourself to what needs to be achieved and researching a lot on your subject you wish to study.
I used to be so freaked out by people who get 10+ A* in GCSE. I got 5 A* in IGCSE myself, but I still got into Cambridge Medicine.
You never know what they're looking for, but you may just have what they want even if your grades aren't the best in the world. And honestly, I don't think Cambridge cares much about grades as long as they are above a certain standard. Your interview, essay and recommendations are probably far, far more important. These are what show you as who you are, not your grades :wink:

Interview - I would say that cramming information into your head just to prepare for interview is not going to work. Sure, you may know 993858 more facts than other applicants, but I feel that Cambridge cares a lot more about how you reach what you know, and not what you know (at least my interview made me feel that way). Of course you should still have a good knowledge in relevant subjects, but just don't be too stressed out about learning everything just for the interview.

And one thing (I dunno if it's mentioned already, but I'll say it anyway) - be yourself :smile:
Reply 11
i got 3-A*, 3- A and 3-B in my IGCSE
i m planning to apply to cambridge for economics in which i got a B. do you think this will affect my admission ?
I would guess yes...
Reply 13
I'm really confused about resits, if I got over 90 in all my as modules and achieved 4 strong a's would i still have a realistic chance of getting in despite having to resit two modules in june to get these results. ( having attained a B and a D in january modules due to general lack of botheredness/mid-teen crisis/depression/self-harm/laziness/I should really stop making excuses for myself)
Hello Evrybody,
I was just wondering if you could help me with something that bothers me.
I used to be an average student, slacking in some subjects and excellent in others in my GCSE's, but when I visited Cambridge on an open day, it changed my life. Now in 6th form I am working very hard and putting in my best efforts in every lesson. Will Cambridge look at something like that? And are my chances of getting in slimmer only becuase i was not putting my best efforts in GCSE's?:confused:
there will be plenty of candidates who put no effort into gcses and still got 10 A*. If you need to be putting in so much effort you should consider whether you can cope once you get there. If you work at 100% capacity at A-level just to meet the offer and you can go no higher, then thats a problem...

not to put you off- but there are so many other good candidates...
btw i was working in the admissions office over summer... and looked through admissions profiles of past students (dunno if i was supposed to) and so many get pooled because the reference from their school was good but not great- it's VITAL and seriously overlooked

you need to speak to your tutor, insist on seeing what he/she writes and have them make changes accordingly. u should work together with them so as to avoid the ps and the reference content overlapping- wasting vital space
Reply 17
wonderful thread
thanks
Reply 18
sorry if i seem a little ignorant, but I've just heard from my school's education counselor that I've only got one chance at applying for Cambridge, which was the first I have ever heard of that. Could I confirm if this is/is not the case? I'm quite certain she's wrong (since that's the impression that i've gotten) but I thought it'd be best to be sure. Thanks!
geraldsng
sorry if i seem a little ignorant, but I've just heard from my school's education counselor that I've only got one chance at applying for Cambridge, which was the first I have ever heard of that. Could I confirm if this is/is not the case? I'm quite certain she's wrong (since that's the impression that i've gotten) but I thought it'd be best to be sure. Thanks!

You can only apply for one course at Cambridge so that part's true. However, if you were to get rejected and then decide to reapply after you get your A level results, there'd be nothing stopping you from doing so (assuming you're not going to uni already). I believe quite a few people do that and quite successfully too. So basically, you can only apply once in a given admissions cycle but can try again if you were rejected, in the next round.

Latest