The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
There didn't seem to be much clear info on SAQ, so was just wondering how important the 'aditional personal statement' section of it is, and what kind of things you should/shouldn't say in it? :smile:
How about applying to Cambridge as a mature student with a very poor GCSE portfolio (only three gcse's above D) and an Access course?

I'm applying to study english at Cambridge next month -I've checked out their entrance requirements and they only ask for Pass at access with distinctions in all relevant units, which i already have. I'm also about to start studying a fast track A Level in english literature.

Do Cambridge place less emphasis on GCSE's for mature students? i was hoping i could at least make it to interview with my current grades, explain my poor GCSE results there, and hopefully be given a conditional, or even unconditional offer if i do really well at interview and my written work and personal statement is good enough.
I'm applying for Math course and i know the deadline is 15 October, but my referee would like to know by when she should write my reference. Can you tell me the referee's deadline?
Original post by FastnBulbous
How about applying to Cambridge as a mature student with a very poor GCSE portfolio (only three gcse's above D) and an Access course?

I'm applying to study english at Cambridge next month -I've checked out their entrance requirements and they only ask for Pass at access with distinctions in all relevant units, which i already have. I'm also about to start studying a fast track A Level in english literature.

Do Cambridge place less emphasis on GCSE's for mature students? i was hoping i could at least make it to interview with my current grades, explain my poor GCSE results there, and hopefully be given a conditional, or even unconditional offer if i do really well at interview and my written work and personal statement is good enough.

There are English students here with only Access and no A levels. They won't care about your GCSE grades, as a mature student. They will be interested in your Access grades, your A level and your "engagement with the subject".

If you want to give yourself the best possible chance, apply to a mature college rather than standard age. They are completely used to assessing applicants with your kind of profile and making offers to the best ones. They even have a second round of applications in spring if you aren't ready for the October 15th one.

Good luck!
Have the students, who are applying now, taken the STEP or they will take it in June?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Ok guys- at school I was severely bullied, to the extent of having a black eye and broken nose- in which cases I had to be absent from attending- so this explains my B's and C's at school and then at College- I had further issues, but this time within my family- which again, I would admittedly say, affected SOME of my A-level results...Where do I stand? No chance because of this rotten luck, or maybe a slight maybe?

In these cases, will CCAS help or will I have to approach the University to explain these extenuating circumstances?

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Ibrar
Ok guys- at school I was severely bullied, to the extent of having a black eye and broken nose- in which cases I had to be absent from attending- so this explains my B's and C's at school and then at College- I had further issues, but this time within my family- which again, I would admittedly say, affected SOME of my A-level results...Where do I stand? No chance because of this rotten luck, or maybe a slight maybe?

In these cases, will CCAS help or will I have to approach the University to explain these extenuating circumstances?

Thanks

What are you UMS and subjects and what degree would you apply for?

You may struggle to be accepted if there is little paper evidence of ability in either set of exams as they won't know if you can catch up or what your potential is.
You have to apply with the ECF now, CCAS has finished.
Reply 47
I'm predicted A*A*A at A-level, but I've taken the AS exams and realistically I feel like I'll get AAA in Physics, Chemistry and English Literature, with English Literature being my best subject, and a B in Maths. Probably not a high B either. At the moment I'm struggling between English Literature at Uni, or NatSci Physical Sciences. I was just wondering though, being realistic here, what my chances are when applying for Cambridge or Oxford?
At this point, I can either drop Maths (which I hate with a passion, and really regret taking at A-level) and sacrifice the NatSci choice, or I can drop English (which I love) to do Physical Sciences (which I also love.) I was just wondering which I had the better chance in? Do I really have a good chance with NatSci if I don't get on with Maths? Will my Maths results drag down my application even with English, if it's the fourth AS level? Just looking for personal judgement on if it's a good or slim chance XD
Reply 48
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation.pdf

For those who want to know where they lie in the field and that averages don't tell the whole story.....
Reply 49
Hi,

I'm an international student applying to Cambridge for UG Maths for the academic session starting 2014. In the 'Education' Section of the COPA (Cambridge Online Application Form) there is a part where I am asked to fill in the subjects (without grades) of the qualification which I am currently studying for which is Grade XII (like the A levels). I will sit the exam in 2014 and results will be declared in May 2014. Do I have to submit any transcript for this qualification now while submitting the form?
My grades in Grade X (AS level) are excellent ranging from 92% to 99%. But my grades in Grade XI internal school exams are a bit of a disaster with the only consolation being that the entire class has performed poorly as reflected in the average class grades. The reason for this is the bizarre school policy of being very strict in the marking of exam papers with the intention of keeping students on their toes with the ultimate objective of getting excellent grades in the Grade XII (A level) exams. I am likely to get very good predicted grades for the Grade XII exams. I intend to apply for UG Maths.

Thanks.
Reply 50
Original post by amarcellaw
I'm predicted A*A*A at A-level, but I've taken the AS exams and realistically I feel like I'll get AAA in Physics, Chemistry and English Literature, with English Literature being my best subject, and a B in Maths. Probably not a high B either. At the moment I'm struggling between English Literature at Uni, or NatSci Physical Sciences. I was just wondering though, being realistic here, what my chances are when applying for Cambridge or Oxford?
At this point, I can either drop Maths (which I hate with a passion, and really regret taking at A-level) and sacrifice the NatSci choice, or I can drop English (which I love) to do Physical Sciences (which I also love.) I was just wondering which I had the better chance in? Do I really have a good chance with NatSci if I don't get on with Maths? Will my Maths results drag down my application even with English, if it's the fourth AS level? Just looking for personal judgement on if it's a good or slim chance XD

I'd say the maths would be a bit of a problem if you were going down the physical side of natsci, so I would suggest you've got more chance with english, as the maths grade won't matter very much. Either way though, you've got a chance. Just go with what you would prefer to study at a high level, and even if the maths stops you getting into Oxbridge, there's plenty of other good universities. :P
Reply 51
International (Canadian) mature student here. Could not complete H/S or do AP exams d/t serious traffic accident three years ago. Will do SAT's, but some of them will be after the (possible) interview, and all of them will be after the app'n deadline. I want to study Law.

If I do not have the test results in yet, do I have a chance of getting an interview with a solid personal statement and some work experience in Law?

Latest