The Student Room Group
Reply 1
There are tonnes... my personal favourite uni is Southampton lol.
Reply 2
Try oxbridge with those grades.

OP, wait until AS results come out...easier.

:clip:
Reply 3
laura_0409
I'm going to apply to do a joint honours in English and History, can anyone recommend some good universities for the course...i'm lost in sea of prospectuses!

Predicted AS Grades:

History A
English Literature A
Psychology A
Music A

Many Thanks everyone! x x x
I'm afraid you will have to do the leg-work yourself. Joint honours courses vary hugely and the only way you will find the ones that suit your interests is to check the prospectus for each and every one of them. Sorry!

As it happens, English and History isn't that common a combination, so do a search on UCAS (use the Course Search 2009 page and type English and History into the subject box) and just work your way down the list.
Type in your course into unistats.com and that should be helpful. Also - go to the times rankings (or any other) to get the lowdown on the best places, as you should get good grades.
Oxbridge is evidently the place to start, if not I know that Durham is highly competitive for btoh History and English, combining however I dont know but they are the three to start with.

Tony
Reply 6
tonyfisher89
Oxbridge is evidently the place to start, if not I know that Durham is highly competitive for btoh History and English, combining however I dont know but they are the three to start with.

Tony
But only if the course content appeals. There is no point whatsoever in applying for a course that doesn't interest you just because the uni is "prestigious".
quite i agree but at the same time i know that one can study history at durham and opt to do some modules from another subject or something or other, my friend is doing it i think, but its something to reasearch and as someone said, its ur job to research it

Tony
Reply 8
tonyfisher89
quite i agree but at the same time i know that one can study history at durham and opt to do some modules from another subject or something or other, my friend is doing it i think, but its something to reasearch and as someone said, its ur job to research it

Tony
Yup. I did. :biggrin:
Reply 9
You have one page to look through, shouldn't be too hard.

:clip:
Reply 10
My friend applied for joint honours History and English at Exeter, Royal Holloway and Southampton from what I remember. She looked down the Oxbridge route but was put off by some compulsory modules for English. You need to look at the compulsory and optional modules on offer from all the universities because each person is different. I think her first choice is Southampton out of them because she fell in love with the course.

Hope that helps a bit.
A lot of the strong universities offer this just look around really. Durham, Southampton, York, Notts, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Loughborough, Leeds, Lancaster, Birmingham, Exeter are some of the strongest IMO, but look around and see what units you like. As said before every uni will differ a lot on this type of course so go somewhere you like the look of the areas of study