The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

LLB European/Maîtrise Dual Qualification

Hi, I've been considering this course as one of my options becuase it woulf be really useful as I want to live and work in France when I'm older. I've only seen this course in Exeter Uni and really wanted to apply for it but was scared by the interview which is mainly in french.

I expect to get AAA in my A levels (including french) but nevertheless I'm not very good at speaking french in a professional situation, I'm fine with my friends.

I was just wondering if any students who had successfully completed their interview could give me an idea of what it's like and if it is intimidating or not.

Also, if you had anything to say about the studying the course itself. I would be very interested...

Thanks.
Reply 1
I think Areontas got a place for this degree (she asked me more about Rennes, lol), or you can ask Lord Hysteria for more info about his degree (at UCL). If you want to improve your French, have a look at La Société Française, its members (incuding me) will help you :smile:. And by the way, the other universities that offer the degree are :
- Cambridge (linked to Paris-Assas)
- Leicester (linked to Strasbourg)
- KCL (Paris Panthéon-Sorbonne)
- UCL (Paris Panthéon-Assas or Paul Cézanne Aix-Marseille)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Not a degree for the faint hearted

Most english students will quit. I had to endure French Law in french in my second year since I was going to spend my year abroad in Lyon last year. They treat you like they would in France. No powerpoints or notes, 1.5 hour tutorials every week with public presentation of essays. This wouldn't be so bad if there were other english people but at the start of they year there were 3 of us and by the end only 2. I'm half french so I managed to scrape through.

The rest of the class are french. In their maitrise they benefit from being french and in english lessons they get powerpoints and notes sent. The tutorials aren't as hard either. I have no idea how I got through my year abroad, even though socially it was the best year of my life.

I wouldn't recommend this degree to anyone who isn't already fluent in french or going to pick it up very quickly.
Reply 3
The interview itself isn't scary at all - I had mine last year. It was literally a 20 minute chat with Dr Rolland (you can find more information on him on the Exeter University website), about the law in general, my A level subjects etc. I didn't have to do research beforehand, although it helps to have an idea of what the course will entail. Try to talk as fluently as possible, and just try to be calm and natural - that's really all the advice I can give.

However, what you need to pay more attention to is the degree itself. As cumu1813 says, it is obviously difficult. Not many English students can speak French to the kind of level required; you're basically thrown into the French university system. There are only 10-12 students to start with, which probably eventually lowers to around 5 (from what I've heard, at least). This is why you need to be 100% confident that you want to do this degree (it isn't offered at many places), and that you are intellectually capable and hardworking enough to do so. I love France and would love to gain some experience there, but realised this degree isn't for me - particularly because I can't see myself living anywhere other than England. However, because you eventually want to move and live in France to work there, this degree would be a great way of launching you straight in and seeing how you'd cope in that sort of situation.
Reply 4
Thanks for your help :smile: I think I'm not going to do this course now but stick to the ordinary law with french course. It does seem like you have to be practically bilingual to do it.

I will live and work in France, someday, I'll just take the long way round!

Latest

Trending

Trending