The Student Room Group

A Level's what percentage?

Hello there

I am in my final year of school in Sydney Australia and am interested in going to uni in the UK. Often the UK uni websites say things like offers are made with 2 X A Level at A Grade and 1 A Level at B. Somewhere I saw that an A Grade at A level was equal to 80% + in the exam. If this is the case, wouldn't there be a big gap between students with the same grade? I.e. someone who got 99% in the exam would perform quite differently to someone who got 81% however both would be awared an A Grade. Do uni's make a distinction between those at the lower end of a grade and those at the higher or don't they know? I probably have it all wrong but would appreciate someone telling me how it works.
Basically, they can't.
Which is why they're bringing in A*'s at A2, I think.
Reply 2
They can't. But Cambridge ask for your actual UMS scores so they can see.

The A* is supposed to get rid of this problem.
Ozlola
Hello there

I am in my final year of school in Sydney Australia and am interested in going to uni in the UK. Often the UK uni websites say things like offers are made with 2 X A Level at A Grade and 1 A Level at B. Somewhere I saw that an A Grade at A level was equal to 80% + in the exam. If this is the case, wouldn't there be a big gap between students with the same grade? I.e. someone who got 99% in the exam would perform quite differently to someone who got 81% however both would be awared an A Grade. Do uni's make a distinction between those at the lower end of a grade and those at the higher or don't they know? I probably have it all wrong but would appreciate someone telling me how it works.

You are doing the HSC aren't you??

I would advise that you get as good a grade as you can on that. What unis are you thinking of applying to?
I heard that all uni's can now look at your UMS, but most don't bother. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone for your answers. To tinabunsenburner yes I am doing my HSC. I'm predicted to get UAI 98+/100 which here will put me in the top end of the candidature but am not sure how familiar UK uni's are with it. Not sure what uni to apply to but am interested in science.
Reply 6
the AEA is used to distinguish the best candidates. that should be used more than A*
Reply 7
What's an AEA please?
Reply 8
advanced extension award.
its full of really hard questions so only the cream pass it and its awarded in merit and distinction.
imo they should be promoting that as to get 90%+ in an exam will be near impossible, one mistake and your ****ed, where as an extra exam is independant of anything else.
Reply 9
So an AEA is a separate exam then? Would a lot of students sit them or only the very best? Sounds a very complex system and I thought ours here was bad!
Reply 10
Ozlola
So an AEA is a separate exam then? Would a lot of students sit them or only the very best? Sounds a very complex system and I thought ours here was bad!

at our school it was whoever wanted to do them, but not many people seem to know about them which seems to be the problem.
but think about it average of 90% in 3 exams, some really good students would miss out on the top grade for a few silly mistakes, luckily i will never have to worry about them.

Latest