The Student Room Group

The majority of British girls are stuck up? (compared to other countries)

Scroll to see replies

If a random man came up and asked that in a shopping center, I probably would answer but would be slightly wary. I think the strangness is the actual question your asking... as someone else has already mentioned, british people on the whole are quite reserved and also, the place where you were asking. If, for instance, it had been in a pub and you were having a chat after having just met then it seems a bit more acceptable. Its just a bit strange. And I am not stuck up, just typically british!
Anonymous
This is how i feel. You do feel really awkward for starting conversations here.

Depends on the girl though. I, and most of my friends, love nothing more than random conversations with strangers.

I think it's natural for someone to be a bit intimidated or wary when someone approaches them, but then it doesn't take more than a few minutes to realise they're genuine.

I think it's a pity that so many people are against having conversations with randomers, they're often the most memorable!
Reply 62
I love talking to strangers.
Reply 63
Creepy pickup technique backfired on the OP.
Reply 64
EducatingBrogan
Depends on the girl though. I, and most of my friends, love nothing more than random conversations with strangers.

I think it's a pity that so many people are against having conversations with randomers, they're often the most memorable!

Totally agree!!!!:yep:
Reply 65
I tend to find that when guys approach me and start a conversation, they ARE trying to chat me up. So maybe it's the British guys who are all after one thing, leading the girls to have negative preconceptions and thus react badly to being approached ... :rolleyes:

I'd be more than happy to start a conversation with a stranger, but as I said, I find guys will only talk to me if they want to ask me out. I mean, you get threads on TSR all about how guys will only be mates with attractive girls, or girls they think they might be able to sleep with at some point, and then you wonder why girls are wary of being approached like that??? I'd probably be slightly suspicious, but I'd keep it under wraps and try to have a decent conversation. Even if you started off the way you did.
Reply 66
EducatingBrogan

ooze
I love talking to strangers.

Me too :biggrin: I talk to strangers all the time.

OP - i think you're just choosing the wrong people. Okay, maybe British girls are more reserved, certainly moreso than Americans. But we're not ALL like that. I don't even think the majority. Come to the West Country :p:
Reply 67
You probabally asked a bunch of fat birds in the states... they'll talk to anyone who'll listen.

I'm assumming you were talking to girls way out your league?
I would probably be wondering why you were asking me this long long question and would conclude you were trying to take the piss or something, maybe thats what they thought, or they were busy or something, i dont know lol.
It's funny though, how girls get so indignant and offensive about being asked a relationship question by a stranger in real life, but answer completely disgusting stuff for strangers on TSR every day.
Reply 70
American girls more beautiful?
HuH
sallen
pickup technique backfired on the OP.

Something like that.

Although he's right about one thing.

Most of the time Sometimes the grass IS greener on the other side of the Channel fence; having said that, anyone that doesn't recognise that there are TONS of decent (and decent looking) women in this country needs to go to Specsavers............

Or move to London!

DISCLAIMER: All but one of my women have been foreign........so maybe I'm biased :confused:
Reply 72
starlight89
Aww you can't judge the whole of the British female population from one encounter with a bunch of stuck up bitches! I would've happily talked to you =)

Agreed! :yep:
Reply 73
Well, I pride myself on being nice to everyone, because I think people have to put up with such rudeness day-to-day that they need a bit of kindness. :smile:

There's got to be at least 7 of us in the UK who are like that, surely :p:
Reply 74
starlight89
Aww you can't judge the whole of the British female population from one encounter with a bunch of stuck up bitches! I would've happily talked to you =)

Agreed!
I don't remember where I read it, but I once read something along the lines of:
There is an unspoken form of behaviour that is accepted in Britain and with it a certan etiquette that you are expected to adhere to. In public, there are only three topics of conversation that it is acceptable to discuss with a stranger - the weather (how **** it is), public transport (how **** it is) or the time. If you bring up another topic of conversation - without having discussed the other three first then you will be viewed as unbelievably rude and impolite.

Whilst not strictly true... I think it actually holds a valid point :wink:
I wouldn't say we're stuck up (in general) but we are very very insular. We don't like strangers. Personally, if you'd asked me that question when I was alone, I'd have given you a scathing look and walked off. If I'd been in a group, I'd probably have answered in a jokey way simply because in a group I would feel less threatened.
I just returned from USA - same story. British girls are just too high on their horse for my liking as well....
If some weirdo interrupted me with my friends in a shopping centre I'd be a lot ruder than that. Girls aren't walking agony aunts.
I know exactly what you mean by the "stuck up" bit, but American girls are so much cooler. Heck, I went to the US for two weeks and this American ended up getting her hoo hars out!
Reply 79
hannah_dru
That's quite a personal issue though. I wouldn't go up to some randoms and ask them that cos its not what you do. I'm not surprised that they acted that way.

I will second that :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending