The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1
It depends how far away you live from the University and the amount you would like to travel.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Unless you have a reason for being unable to use buses, such as a health problem which prevents you from carrying shopping distances, or plan to go home a lot, there is no need for a car. There are buses, like, every 5 minutes from the university into town.
Reply 3
There isn't really any need for a car for general use. I didn't think I could live without a car but it's actually a hinderance at uni. People just want lifts all the time!!
Reply 4
i don't think you need a car. Shopping is fine on the bus, or just make friends with people with cars :P Its just a pain on campus especially with them "cracking" down as they have been.
I would say don't bring one, unless you really need it to get to a job or home if u go home like every weekend!
Reply 5
you will need to get a car permit...

the official term for getting one is 'good luck!'

leave your car at home if you can, will save you money and keeps security happy [they are due to be increasing the number of parkling atendants due to many people not having permits] also you wont get out of parking fines...
Reply 6
I had my car at uni this year (i had a permit, but always parked it in the wrong place, never got any fines etc... but i hear they are stricter next year). I found it useful to go to places further than Lancaster, since i dont really like sainsburys.

However, having it was probably more trouble than it was worth and I couldve lived without it, except that I needed it to go home every few weekends.
Reply 7
Since you live in Manchester just leave it at home.
Reply 8
If you don't need it, don't bring it! Lancaster town centre is a nightmare for cars.
Reply 9
I had one for the last term, no permit but parked it off campus down the cycle path and had no trouble.
Although having said that, i didn't really use it either.

It's cheaper and easier to get the bus into town rather than find somewhere to park and navigate the awful one-way system.

My advice: Don't bring it. You'll never need it. Ever. And chances are you wouldn't get a permit anyway.
Reply 10
Yeh the one way system is a bit of a gay, however i found it hard to get lost in lancaster due to the one way system (since if you cant find where you want, just go round in circles haha).

but as people say, if you dont need it, theres no point in bring it.
Reply 11
ChJaRo
Yeh the one way system is a bit of a gay, however i found it hard to get lost in lancaster due to the one way system (since if you cant find where you want, just go round in circles haha).

but as people say, if you dont need it, theres no point in bring it.

My reaction was always '**** i'm in the wrong lane, time to go round again . .' :o:
Reply 12
Not only do campus look unfavourably on people with cars (due to very tight parking restrictions) but Lancaster itself is also very car-unfriendly and it's not fun to drive around (and I enjoy driving most of the time).

Just cycle/walk/get the bus or whatever. It's easy to do that.
Dont bother taking a car. I took mine in the last 4 weeks of summer term so we could go on trips round the lake district, but other than that did not need it.
Reply 14
Thanks everyone for the advice!
Just need to get into Lancaster now :/

Latest

Trending

Trending