The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yeah, don't do it in one year...i'd be better to split it up.
if you want to do 5 purely for interests sake then ok. If you want to do 5 in order to give you an advantage when applying to uni then it won't (at least not in terms of the application/interview procedure).
many uni.'s would consider some independent work in your areas of interest as a much more worthwhile pursuit.
TBH I think you're just going to have to give one up. You can always take it later on as an evening class or something...

I hope you didn't think my post was too rude :p: I was just trying to say that no Unis ask for 5 subjects and 4 is going to be a struggle for anyone anyway, so you might as well take the slightly easier route and give yourself time to breath during your year. It's not just the work or timetabling though, it's the exams that'll get you.
Reply 23
Quite random of me, but I was listening to "wearing my rolex" and the line "would you do" came.
Haha.
Reply 24
kiss_me_now9
TBH I think you're just going to have to give one up. You can always take it later on as an evening class or something...

I hope you didn't think my post was too rude :p: I was just trying to say that no Unis ask for 5 subjects and 4 is going to be a struggle for anyone anyway, so you might as well take the slightly easier route and give yourself time to breath during your year. It's not just the work or timetabling though, it's the exams that'll get you.

No, not rude at all. :smile:
Maybe I'll just read some physics books outside school.. It's not like I need it for my university course anyway.
There really is no point whatsoever. If you really are fluent in a language, then you can just say that. You don't need an A level to back it up. (I mean for unis and job applications). 5 ASs/4 A2s won't give you any more advantage over the next person in a lot of instances - so it's really not necessary. And despite being fluent in a language, some of the exam boards have very awkward exams and mark schemes, which could challenge even the most proficient speaker. :smile:
Reply 26
Yes, if you feel you can cope then it will benefit you.
Although you will have less free periods, keep that in mind.
rye225
Yes, if you feel you can cope then it will benefit you.
Although you will have less free periods, keep that in mind.

I know every school is different and has different timetables, but the girl I know (who's very clever, and enjoyed doing it) who did 4 A2s only had one free a fortnight - Everyone else (except me, I had more) had at least 4 a week. She said that althought she enjoyed doing it, she was pretty much just working flat out completly because she was getting 4 sets of homework each night and having to do them that night, because there was no time the next day like we had.
Reply 28
I'm not talking about A2s though..
Sorry, only just seen this. It was pretty much the same for her AS year as well, though slightly less work.
Reply 30
Yeah, this is a little like what I did (I only had three hours a week in one of my subjects, however I had hours of homework from it). If you can do the five and get As in them all at AS, do it, but if not then you're wasting your time and spreading yourself too thin. Any university would go for 4 As over 3As + 2 Bs, I'm pretty sure. Only you know your limits/capabilities. (I would personally say that if you don't mind working a little harder than is perhaps necessary- or even like it - then do it, it's not too bad from my experience)
Reply 31
kiss_me_now9
I know every school is different and has different timetables, but the girl I know (who's very clever, and enjoyed doing it) who did 4 A2s only had one free a fortnight - Everyone else (except me, I had more) had at least 4 a week. She said that althought she enjoyed doing it, she was pretty much just working flat out completly because she was getting 4 sets of homework each night and having to do them that night, because there was no time the next day like we had.

Depends on the school, I did 4 A2s and had loads of frees.
Qlick
Depends on the school, I did 4 A2s and had loads of frees.

Definatly, we only had four lessons a day so really only 20 lessons a week, each subject has 4 lessons a week so with the charity work in one of our frees that we were pretty much forced to do she only ever had one left. :smile:
Reply 33
kiss_me_now9
Definatly, we only had four lessons a day so really only 20 lessons a week, each subject has 4 lessons a week so with the charity work in one of our frees that we were pretty much forced to do she only ever had one left. :smile:

Four lessons a day? :eek:
We get seven.
Draconis
Four lessons a day? :eek:
We get seven.

Well, during my time there (*sob* lol) we had 4 1hr 15 lessons a day, they've now decided to have 5 1hr lessons a day. They changed the system the year that I came, they used to have 8 50minute lessons.
Reply 35
Draconis
If you had chosen four AS subjects, in one of which you have only one or two lessons a week and minimal homework, would you do five?

EDIT: All four subjects are respected ones.

No.

What's the point?
Reply 36
Draconis
If you had chosen four AS subjects, in one of which you have only one or two lessons a week and minimal homework, would you do five?

EDIT: All four subjects are respected ones.

I can see where you're coming from but I don't quite understand your position. Have you just finished your AS levels or are you just about to start them?
But without considering that... do you really need an extra A level. If it was me, I would consider whether I'm be putting too much on my plate especially during exam time and what about coursework? Are there elements of coursework in all of them at the same time? Would my grades be affected if I did 5?
These are just my thoughts. Hope they help!
Reply 37
lvindy
I can see where you're coming from but I don't quite understand your position. Have you just finished your AS levels or are you just about to start them?
But without considering that... do you really need an extra A level. If it was me, I would consider whether I'm be putting too much on my plate especially during exam time and what about coursework? Are there elements of coursework in all of them at the same time? Would my grades be affected if I did 5?
These are just my thoughts. Hope they help!

I'm about to start AS.
Reply 38
Draconis
I'm about to start AS.

Ok. Does your school make you do general studies or critical thinking as well? Because if they do and you choose to do an additional A level you would be doing 6 or 7 A levels and each A level has roughly 3 exams which is roughly 18-21 exams and there is a chance of having more than 2 exams in one day. Universities only ask for 3 A levels.
Reply 39
lvindy
Ok. Does your school make you do general studies or critical thinking as well? Because if they do and you choose to do an additional A level you would be doing 6 or 7 A levels and each A level has roughly 3 exams which is roughly 18-21 exams and there is a chance of having more than 2 exams in one day. Universities only ask for 3 A levels.

No, no compulsory subjects. :smile:

Latest