Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long does it take at most to hear the result of an interview?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I went to an interview on 17/3/14 and the interview went well, but the interviewer said my lack of specific job experience would be the only thing potentially preventing me from getting the job,
    she said she had many other interviews for the post, and i stupidly didnt ask when i would get an answer

so one week after the interview i emailed HR saying "have you chosen the applicant" but they didnt reply,

so last week i emailed a different agent who then forwarded my mail to the other agent, still no reply?!

so on Monday it would of been two weeks post interview,
    i know they had several other candidates after me, but realistically how long does this take to let someone know?
    my first email one week post interview made it easy for them to say i was unsuccessful, but no reply

so am i just being impatient, or is the fact its been two weeks and ive contacted HR twice with no reply signal i was unsuccessful?

it only takes 30 seconds to reply saying "you were unsuccessful"
    i also tried getting through to her on the phone but the operator, after getting my name, says " its going through to voicemail", every time i call them!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are definitely being impatient, interviews can easily be spread over a two or three week period, then there are references to check, then letters might go out to people they want to offer positions to, then they have to wait until they are accepted til they can turn down the other applicants, it can be a lengthy process.

Stop hassling them, its definitely not helping your case.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    o dear, maybe i have hampered my chances by being persistent
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LolaLowe)
    You are definitely being impatient, interviews can easily be spread over a two or three week period, then there are references to check, then letters might go out to people they want to offer positions to, then they have to wait until they are accepted til they can turn down the other applicants, it can be a lengthy process.

Stop hassling them, its definitely not helping your case.
    Actually, most places let you know quite quickly, usually by phone as well as in person. So while it may take 2 or 3 weeks, depending on where you are applying, a lot of places let you know sooner. Especially as they will want to fill the role.
    The OP is perfectly fine to phone up to see if they have been successful. The OP is only enquiring, and if they havent made their mind up, then all the company needs to do is say. And if the OP wasnt successful, then the OP is entitled to be told and ask for feedback.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katx)
    o dear, maybe i have hampered my chances by being persistent
    Dont worry.
    Companies vary wildly on how quick they get back. Most get back within a week, 2 weeks at the most. They arent going to take forever to decide as they will want to fill the role after all. You wherent being persistent, you where only enquiring, which you are perfectly entitled to do. Unfortunately, quite a few companies dont bother to tell you havent been successful and you never hear from them. It can be horrible i know, but it happens. Ive been in that situation myself. The fact that they seem to have messed you about a bit isnt the best. Id carry on applying for jobs, and if you hear back, then alls good (even if you dont get the job, at least you have heard something) and if you dont,- it hurts but move on and apply for other things.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    With one job i heard about 1 hour later
    My second I heard during interview

But those were weird ones, not the usual retail stuff
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't answer you if you just emailed 'have you chosen the applicant'

Should have been more polite with your email.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 12, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.