Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Part time work and university

Announcements Posted on
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I am starting a new part time job next week, but I'm hoping to go to University of Birmingham in September and I live in Liverpool. I will hopefully get a transfer to a Birmingham branch as I know they will allow me to do this, but I was wondering what would I do when it came to Christmas and summer holidays. What have other people ended up doing. Did you get accommodation for over the summer or something? I can't just quit either as I need the income. I'm just a bit confused about how it would work so any advice would be great
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    For Christmas, your term time address is still yours so you're free to work then if you like. Even if you don't work Christmas, some companies realise that their employees consist of students and are happy to take on temp employees during holidays. Your employer may allow you to take your Christmas holidays and come back to work for them afterwards.

For Summer it'd be different as most first years choose to go to their home address until they find a flat for 2nd year. This length of time off may not be ideal for your employer.

Best answer? Ask your employer. They may not give a concrete answer but they will guide you.
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I'm similar to you just the other way round, I live in Birmingham and go to uni in Liverpool. I found my easiest option (after struggling over Christmas with my hours in Liverpool and wanting to be at home) was get a job at home and just go back over the weekend, it's only an hour or two on the train(depending on where in brum you live) and then during the summer you have a job at home where you can go full time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    I'm similar to you just the other way round, I live in Birmingham and go to uni in Liverpool. I found my easiest option (after struggling over Christmas with my hours in Liverpool and wanting to be at home) was get a job at home and just go back over the weekend, it's only an hour or two on the train(depending on where in brum you live) and then during the summer you have a job at home where you can go full time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does that not get expensive? and what about going out with friends at Uni?
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    You can transfer between the two stores they'll let you do this

Posted from TSR Mobile
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohhello92x)
    You can transfer between the two stores they'll let you do this

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know, I did say it in the original post :P my question is what would I do when I need to come home at Christmas and summer
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    What the previous poster said, you can ask to transfer at Christmas and during the summer. You have to ask your employer if this is possible though.
  8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kahinalouise)
    What the previous poster said, you can ask to transfer at Christmas and during the summer. You have to ask your employer if this is possible though.
    I might see if I can do that, maybe not over Christmas as it would only be like 3 weeks off but over the summer holidays. Hopefully they are understanding
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca.H96)
    I might see if I can do that, maybe not over Christmas as it would only be like 3 weeks off but over the summer holidays. Hopefully they are understanding
    Fair enough, the summer at uni is nearly 4 months so I don't see why not, its better to have someone that knows what to do rather then train someone new. Good luck, hope you sort something out.
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kahinalouise)
    Fair enough, the summer at uni is nearly 4 months so I don't see why not, its better to have someone that knows what to do rather then train someone new. Good luck, hope you sort something out.
    Thanks

Thanks everyone else for your help
  11. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I know, I did say it in the original post :P my question is what would I do when I need to come home at Christmas and summer
    I think the only thing I can think of is let your manager know in your home town the dates you'll be home for the holidays and the dates you'll be returning to uni and to the store in your uni town

Posted from TSR Mobile
  12. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I think the only thing I can think of is let your manager know in your home town the dates you'll be home for the holidays and the dates you'll be returning to uni and to the store in your uni town

Posted from TSR Mobile

Keep in mind they can only do this is they have a space at that store. for example if you're working at Waterstones and they don't have a space at the Liverpool Branch then you might not be able to
  13. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    Keep in mind they can only do this is they have a space at that store. for example if you're working at Waterstones and they don't have a space at the Liverpool Branch then you might not be able to
    True. I was thinking of my store when I posted it as there are people there who do transfer between stores. There's a couple of people who are in 3rd year at uni but haven't transferred back to my store, but I did speak to one of them a while back about it and at the time she wasn't sure if she was gonna transfer back due to uni work. But I'm at uni in my home town so obviously don't need to worry about transferring

Posted from TSR Mobile
  14. Offline

ReputationRep:
    True. I was thinking of my store when I posted it as there are people there who do transfer between stores. There's a couple of people who are in 3rd year at uni but haven't transferred back to my store, but I did speak to one of them a while back about it and at the time she wasn't sure if she was gonna transfer back due to uni work. But I'm at uni in my home town so obviously don't need to worry about transferring

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough. And yeah the transfers are permanent at m store and only if there is a vacancy in the store you want so I would have to go through the whole signing off contracts again each time and I can't be doing that all through Uni :P
  15. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. And yeah the transfers are permanent at m store and only if there is a vacancy in the store you want so I would have to go through the whole signing off contracts again each time and I can't be doing that all through Uni :P
    Ah that's effort haha at mine you can either get a transfer or get put as inactive until you go back for the holidays

Posted from TSR Mobile
  16. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's effort haha at mine you can either get a transfer or get put as inactive until you go back for the holidays

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That would be very handy :P
  17. Offline

ReputationRep:
    That would be very handy :P
    Yup

Posted from TSR Mobile
  18. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I am starting a new part time job next week, but I'm hoping to go to University of Birmingham in September and I live in Liverpool. I will hopefully get a transfer to a Birmingham branch as I know they will allow me to do this, but I was wondering what would I do when it came to Christmas and summer holidays. What have other people ended up doing. Did you get accommodation for over the summer or something? I can't just quit either as I need the income. I'm just a bit confused about how it would work so any advice would be great
    Work at your original store in liverpool during the holiddays?
  19. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Work at your original store in liverpool during the holiddays?
    Like I said above I can't do that due to there needing to be vacancies and I would have to transfer every time I moved back and forth as each transfer is permanent.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2015
2015 general election
New on TSR

Vote in the TSR Political Party Contest!

Choose which TSR Party you want in Number 10

Article updates
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.