The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Awesome. OK, when answering questions just remember one thing: CUSTOMER first. It's always the customer that wins. A common question would be: 'you are in the middle of an important job and a customer asks you a question. Do you spend time with the customer helping them, or direct them to an other member of staff who is less busy?'

The answer should always be help the customer.

You also wants to be a team player. Tesco has a 'one team' philosophy: the Tesco Team. Try and think of examples where you have worked well in a team, and why.

The interview might be based around the five parts of the leadership framework that everybody shares from GA to Chairman:

-Team working
-Drive
-Personal Integrity
-Developing self/others
-CUSTOMER FOCUS!!!

If you can think of those five and be prepared to talk about them in your interview, you should be in a good place.

PS if you get the chance work on Non Food. Avoid checkouts. :tongue:
Reply 21
Oh and dress as smartly as you can to your interview, for the love of God. :tongue:
Reply 22
I've wrote tons on the interview stuff if you do a search :smile: I cant be bothered to type or look for the info though.

I've worked my way up through the years so i've got a fair idea of what im on about, i should imagine it'll be a group interview if they are looking for lots of staff too.

I'd echo the non food advice :smile: Or the service desk.
Reply 23
thats brill....cheers
Reply 24
"Why do you want to work at Tescos"

"Give an example when you have worked in a team"

then ye the customer focus stuff he said ^^ :biggrin:
Reply 25
Good things to drop in interview:

- We employ 270000+ people worldwide.
- We operate in over a dozen countries.
- Worlds Third/Fourth/Firth largest retailer [depending on stats :tongue:]
- Sir Terry Leahy is our Boss.
- £2.8 Billion profit last financial year.
Reply 26
Hey.
I have been working my my local tesco store as a Customer Assistant for nearly 4 years now, and was interested in maybe becoming a part-time team leader next year. Can anyone tell me how you apply for this, as I haven't seen anything in my store?
Thanks.
Reply 27
OO and envirometal and social responibillity if you want to sound like a total nerd but that must garentee you the job lol :p:

http://www.tescocorporate.com/cr.htm
I'd echo the non foods advice (I work in Non Foods - Seasonal, Toys and Sports to be exact)
bfbf
social responibillity

"So, I hear you're suing a prominent poet in Thailand because he wrote a newspaper column in which he vaguely suggested you were monopolising the market. And the Thai libel laws allow you to do this, and to sue him for as much as you want - in this case £7 million."

Would that get me a job?

OP; it's a retail position. Basically look smart and tell them over and over that you're professional, organised, and obsessed with customer service.
Speak to your PM about opportunities to get on and for development and indicate that you'd be interested in a Team Leader vacancy when one arises. That's what I did.
Reply 31
Ah okay...well im only temp atm, as I was away at uni, but come home for the summer, but now ive swapped universties, so will be living at home, so I need to see if they can give me a perm ca position first, but as there's a recruitment ban atm I can't do that. I would really like to get out of being a ca again tho.
Reply 32
nearlyheadlessian
"So, I hear you're suing a prominent poet in Thailand because he wrote a newspaper column in which he vaguely suggested you were monopolising the market. And the Thai libel laws allow you to do this, and to sue him for as much as you want - in this case £7 million."

Would that get me a job?
"I feel that tesco as such a large company and influential company have certain responsibility to the community and the environment around us. I firmly belive what tesco are doing trying to get people to reuse there carrier bag usage will have a positive effect on the environment and will encourage other companies to follow in their footsteps.

I have also researched all the companies that I am aiming to work for and considered there effect on the enivoment and I firmly belive I can happily work here and help whenever possible...

stats from this page - http://www.tesco-careers.com/home/community/corporate-commitment"

May do though :p: but it is probs not needed. I had that all prepared for my smiths interview and she was like you can stop now the box is full :biggrin: :p:
Reply 33
reddisy
Ah okay...well im only temp atm, as I was away at uni, but come home for the summer, but now ive swapped universties, so will be living at home, so I need to see if they can give me a perm ca position first, but as there's a recruitment ban atm I can't do that. I would really like to get out of being a ca again tho.

Make sure your manager knows that you are interested in Options then. There should be an Options open day at your store every few months, where you can indicate that you are interested in developing. Speak to your manager or PM. ASAP!

Also, there is an Apprenticeship scheme that is being launched very soon. If your manager hasn't approached you about it yet, now might be the time to do so! Could be the ideal stepping stone to TL/Section Mngt!
Reply 34
I wouldn't be too focused on speaking about the environment. 'Community' may be a part of our steering wheel, but it is the least important part. That said, if you drop in the fact that we are trying to reduce energy consumption in all stores by 15% due to inflationary factors that have pushed up our energy bills for the year by tens of millions of pounds ... they will probably be impressed, and wondering exactly who has been giving you all this information. :tongue:
Reply 35
BTW if you don't get the job after all this advice, then I'll eat my hat. :wink:
Reply 36
Well all things changed today at work!! They have now told me that they cannot afford to keep me on full-time until October, so I have only got 12hrs a week, which I will not be able to live off....also, employment from October is looking very slim atm, so seems I won't be able to get a Customer Assistant job, let alone a TL one!! Arggghhhh!!
Reply 37
lol, wouldnt want that...one thing that i have thought of though, any suggestions on what sort questions i shud ask if they say 'do you have any questions'? im never to sure..
Reply 38
reddisy
Well all things changed today at work!! They have now told me that they cannot afford to keep me on full-time until October, so I have only got 12hrs a week, which I will not be able to live off....also, employment from October is looking very slim atm, so seems I won't be able to get a Customer Assistant job, let alone a TL one!! Arggghhhh!!

Are there no other stores in that area? Maybe even an Express or Metro with TL vacancies?
Reply 39
lou_lou87
lol, wouldnt want that...one thing that i have thought of though, any suggestions on what sort questions i shud ask if they say 'do you have any questions'? im never to sure..

Yeah ask them what opportunities there are to develop in your role e.g. Team Leader or Management development.

God I might as well sit this interview for you. :tongue:

What store is it at btw?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending