The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daaanz
What was the application for? At our store we don't accept applications, everyone has to apply online and if people hand in CV's and such they usually just get forgotten about...

I was told to hand it in...I guess they've forgotten about it or put it in a pile for when applications are open...
Reply 581
Original post by TheSelfAcknowleged
I was told to hand it in...I guess they've forgotten about it or put it in a pile for when applications are open...

Maybe, but if I were you I'd keep checking on the website for jobs because you're more likely to find something than waiting for them to contact you with something
Original post by Daaanz
Maybe, but if I were you I'd keep checking on the website for jobs because you're more likely to find something than waiting for them to contact you with something

Ok thanks
Reply 583
I had my tesco Interview last week...and they rang me to come in for some induction thing (I cant remember his exact words). Has anyone experienced this induction type thing. If so can you tell me what to expect?.

Its an hour long at a Tesco superstore.

Its tomorrow :eek:
Reply 584
I have applied for tesco around six times, and never seem to get an interview. I always get an email that I will be kept on file. Do you think it is because I have been out of work for six months?
Hi, I have got an interview at Tesco tomorrow and am just wondering whether it is likely to be a group interview or an individual interview? It is at a local Extra store and isn't for any specific vaccancy as they are looking to fill a number of different positions. Any help on what to expect would be great, thankyou :smile:
Reply 586
Hi - I am filling out an application for a Checkout assistant role at a Tesco Metro. However, I am 16 nearly 17 - would it be better to apply for the grocery role that's also on offer or will they take on people of 16/17 for checkout roles at Metro stores? Thanks.
Hey. I recently applied to a role at Tesco and did the online application. How long will I have to wait before I know I'll get an interview or not?.

This was posted in 200 BC from The Student Room's iStone app.
Reply 588
Has anyone ever got a missed call from tesco from a number that doesnt allow you to call it back. I've been called by a number ending in 2618 if anyone knows it and I cant call it back it says I've entered it wrong, has anyone had this problem?
Reply 589
Hi, I've just applied for a job at Tesco's and was wondering how long they usually take to get back to you?
Also the application date for the jobs are the 10th July and I was wondering if they only contact applicants for interview after then or whether they contact people before closing dates?
Hey, I've got a group interview (5-7 people they say) on Friday for Tesco. At the time I applied they had two vacancies - Direct Desk and "non-food" (which I think is general stuff like advice on products?). They said we'll discuss the jobs at the interview anyway as I applied for any.

Has anyone else had a group interview before at Tesco? Is it all group discussion or do they ask people things individually? What sort of questions are likely to be asked and how should I respond? This Is my first job interview and will hopefully be my first job. I've only got 2 weeks work experience to my name.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Edit: extra info: I will be going to Uni in October, and I'm wondering if they're likely to ask me about my future plans. If so, am I likely to be at a disadvantage as I'd only be working about 3 months?
(edited 11 years ago)
Damn, nobody? :frown:
Reply 592
basically you just sit in a circle and take it in turns to answer questions, nothing much to it. questions are the usual things like "tell me a time when you gave great customer service".

"non-food" = everything they sell in the shop that isn't food (so health and beauty, baby, electrical, hardlines, household, stationary, toys etc). it's a shelf stacking role.
Original post by natcho
basically you just sit in a circle and take it in turns to answer questions, nothing much to it. questions are the usual things like "tell me a time when you gave great customer service".

"non-food" = everything they sell in the shop that isn't food (so health and beauty, baby, electrical, hardlines, household, stationary, toys etc). it's a shelf stacking role.

Thank you very much for replying, and clarifying non-food!

Unfortunately I don't have any past experience but if they did ask that, I would hope a makeshift answer about what good customer service is would be satisfactory.
Reply 594
Original post by Sabali
Hi, I've just applied for a job at Tesco's and was wondering how long they usually take to get back to you?
Also the application date for the jobs are the 10th July and I was wondering if they only contact applicants for interview after then or whether they contact people before closing dates?

I sent one off on Sunday for a post that closed on Tuesday - my brother applied for a similar role in the same store and got an email saying he was unsuccessful. I however have heard nothing other than receipt of my application. Been waiting by the phone these last 2 days but it's never them haha, going to give it at least a week before I start to worry. But they do say on their website that they'll get in contact within 2 weeks.
Reply 595
Can I just ask how long it took them to invite you to an interview? Me and my brother applied to the same position at Tesco and the day after the vacancy closed he got an email saying he failed, but I have heard nothing other than receipt of my application - waiting by the phone but nothing. Thanks.
Original post by TSGMatt
Can I just ask how long it took them to invite you to an interview? Me and my brother applied to the same position at Tesco and the day after the vacancy closed he got an email saying he failed, but I have heard nothing other than receipt of my application - waiting by the phone but nothing. Thanks.

Vacancy closed on Saturday. They rang me up wednesday. It'll probably depend on the number of applicants.

My interview is at 1:30 today...probably gonna be bricking it even though I've heard it's easy!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 597
Thanks very much for that, I'll just carry on keeping the phone next to me at all times :smile: The very best of luck at your interview!
Reply 598
I just had to fill in all my personal details, what hours I could work, if there were any special requirements, references and then there were about 17-18 questions where you had to choose either A, B or C as answers - first app where I didn't have to write answers to questions such as "Why do you want to work here?". I'm guessing that's because they ask you it in the interview.

I'm not sure what's happening with my app, my brother got reply next day saying he was unsuccessful but I haven't heard a thing. I know they say if you don't hear anything within 2 weeks let us know but most people seem to get a reply within the first few days - hopefully will get a call/email letting me know outcome by next week, frustrating sitting by phone all day.
Reply 599
I had a Tesco "Group Assessment Day" earlier this week.

There were about eight of us and to start with we all had to sit around a table and introduce ourselves - just a few lines like "hi I'm X and I'm X years old... I'm currently doing X...". Then we were given some questions to discuss as a group, such as "what is customer service?" and "what makes an effective team?". After this we were all taken out to the shop floor and asked to do some shelf-stacking. One by one we were taken for a short individual interview which mostly consisted of going through when you could work, what times you could work, what your preference would be if you didn't get the job you applied for etc. Luckily I never got asked any "tell me a time when..." questions!

In total I was there for just under two hours. As long as you're polite and get involved in the discussion I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck :smile:

Edit: Just realised you will already have had the interview by now. Hopefully this will be of use to someone else!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest