The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I had my interview for a part-time job on the checkouts on Friday, and they told me they were interviewing Friday and Saturday.
When can I expect them to get in contact with me, and will they still contact me if I don't get the job?
Reply 81
Ive got an interview tommorow but need to know this - I am a student about to start my 2nd yr of A levels so if i get the job i would like to leave around early Febuary. Is this possible or will i have to sign a contract saying i I HAVE to work 1 year etc?
manzi905
Ive got an interview tommorow but need to know this - I am a student about to start my 2nd yr of A levels so if i get the job i would like to leave around early Febuary. Is this possible or will i have to sign a contract saying i I HAVE to work 1 year etc?

That is possible yes, but might be best not to mention this at the interview.
Reply 83
Emily-STFC
I had my interview for a part-time job on the checkouts on Friday, and they told me they were interviewing Friday and Saturday.
When can I expect them to get in contact with me, and will they still contact me if I don't get the job?

We won't be able to answer that. There might not even be any jobs available ... they might just be 'talent banking' for when payroll is available to take on someone new. Or they might phone tomorrow. Either way, you'll just have to wait as patiently as you can. :smile:
Reply 84
I just had my interview. I think the positon was for General Assistant but i wasnt sure tbh as i applied a while ago and didnt want to sound stupid asking what position im applying for lol. The tesco women asked me some questions about team work etc.

I told her i could work on Saturday and Sundays from 8am to 10pm but does this mean I will have to work those hours or i could choose hours inbetween this time? (as i also go sixthform)
manzi905
I told her i could work on Saturday and Sundays from 8am to 10pm but does this mean I will have to work those hours or i could choose hours inbetween this time? (as i also go sixthform)

They will tell you what hours you're working. You've given them a time frame you can work within and they'll work with that and tell you which shifts you need to do.
Had my interview :biggrin: Went well I think. woman said I would probably get 2pm-10pm Saturday and Sunday

Does anyone know the rate of pay for under 18s?
ChocolateEyes
Had my interview :biggrin: Went well I think. woman said I would probably get 2pm-10pm Saturday and Sunday

Does anyone know the rate of pay for under 18s?

I cannot remember off hand, you'll start on the starter rate though before getting the full under 18's rate

manzi905
I just had my interview. I think the positon was for General Assistant but i wasnt sure tbh as i applied a while ago and didnt want to sound stupid asking what position im applying for lol. The tesco women asked me some questions about team work etc.

The store will use this time frame that you have given them to match you to any vacancies that they have available in the store.
The rate of pay varies from store to store, depending on the location. I was on £4.99 when I joined at 16, rising to £5.40 after a pay review and having been there a certain amount of time.

Now I'm on £6.70 as an 18 year old (or was, before I went on a career break, it went up a bit just after I left)
I've got my interview later :smile:
Reply 90
My local Tesco rang me today, said they'd just marked my application and I scored top marks (woop? :biggrin:) but right now they don't have any vacancys but will contact me when they have some for an interview, etc..

How long do you think this will be?
Sparxy
My local Tesco rang me today, said they'd just marked my application and I scored top marks (woop? :biggrin:) but right now they don't have any vacancys but will contact me when they have some for an interview, etc..

How long do you think this will be?

There is, unfortunately, no answer to that question. Similar to the reasons given by Ubiquitous here
i got job at my local tesco ! :biggrin: it's 10 hours a week at the moment with the possibility to take on another 10 in two weeks time :biggrin: im so chuffed that i git the job just before college starts (i've been trying all summer :tongue: finally things have fallen into place) so yeah im excited :tongue:
Joe_Russell
i got job at my local tesco ! :biggrin: it's 10 hours a week at the moment with the possibility to take on another 10 in two weeks time :biggrin: im so chuffed that i git the job just before college starts (i've been trying all summer :tongue: finally things have fallen into place) so yeah im excited :tongue:

Congratulations. Which department?
Reply 94
I've got the job :smile:
Working on the checkouts Thursday night and Saturday night. :smile:
I just had my interview (Much better procedure than Sainsbury's) it was a group interview which I suprisingly enjoyed :smile:

Find out in 7-10 days if i get the job.

I had to work on baby foods for half an hour aswell.

Also i asked the question that someone said to ask earlier in the threads.

'Is there any chance to develop in this job'

she was impressed. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 96
Just a quick question, do tescos send out letters of confirmation that you've been offered a job? as im gonna need one pretty soon.
Emily-STFC
I've got the job :smile:
Working on the checkouts Thursday night and Saturday night. :smile:

Congratulations. I'm not a fan of checkouts, I much prefer working in a trading area

lou_lou87
Just a quick question, do tescos send out letters of confirmation that you've been offered a job? as im gonna need one pretty soon.

I got my letter of confirmation at my induction session
Reply 98
They should send out letters of confirmation, which you would need to accept and send back to the store before your inuctution. At least that's what happened with me, three times lol
Reply 99
Joe_Russell

Well done Joe [and Emily]. Welcome to the company. I am in Manchester for a few weeks whilst I wait for my transfer to my new store. What store are you at? I might pop by and say hello. :wink:

Lou:

Being back in Manchester I simply couldn't resist going to Gorton. It's quite small actually [as most of the stores tend to be up north compared to down south]. I think it's going to be quite a tough store due to the local area, but working on counters is without doubt the easiest department to be on and you'll never have to go on checkouts or pick dot com [believe me this will be big news for you once you realise what that means!].

Store superstructure is complete but nothing is done inside yet. Still a chance I guess that I might end up there too. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending