Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The Tesco thread.

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can someone clarify what 'overtime pay' actually is and how you qualify for it. I'm contracted 4 days a week, and I sometimes work 5 days. is the 5th day the same pay, or am I paid time and a half? Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Applied for a temporary tesco job online about 3 weeks ago and had a phone call this week inviting me to an interview. I asked if it was a one on one interview, or group interview and was told one on one. Does this mean they aren't doing a group interview (not complaining )?.

Also so I had an interview at asda a few months ago and passed everything and got the silver medalist thing - I did only put down 3 days I could work. Does anyone know if tesco do a similar thing, and ask when you can work and what days?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    What shall I wear to my induction tomorrow?

I'm male btw. Working on Counters - Pizza section haha... feeling grey trousers, shoes and a white shirt?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SP0TIFY)
    What shall I wear to my induction tomorrow?

I'm male btw. Working on Counters - Pizza section haha... feeling grey trousers, shoes and a white shirt?
    Yeah wearing shoes does help a lot! :') i'm joking

What you're suggesting wearing is fine quite a few people were more underdressed than what you're suggesting at my induction, although I wore practically the same as you!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan105)
    Applied for a temporary tesco job online about 3 weeks ago and had a phone call this week inviting me to an interview. I asked if it was a one on one interview, or group interview and was told one on one. Does this mean they aren't doing a group interview (not complaining )?.

Also so I had an interview at asda a few months ago and passed everything and got the silver medalist thing - I did only put down 3 days I could work. Does anyone know if tesco do a similar thing, and ask when you can work and what days?
    Group interview is the norm I think. I'd say you're guaranteed a 1 to 1 interview, then 80% chance of a group interview (think it depends on number of people)

I was asked about my availability like you said above and they were happy to accomodate to it. Mind the only times I couldn't work was a Mon Evening and Wed Morning. Obviously the more availability the better but they do seem quite flexible
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackkkkkM)
    Yeah wearing shoes does help a lot! :') i'm joking

What you're suggesting wearing is fine quite a few people were more underdressed than what you're suggesting at my induction, although I wore practically the same as you!
    thanks, there was only one other guy there, the rest were girls! :P But we both wore trousers shoes and a shirt (he also had a jumper; I had a jacket) so all went well
    • 20 followers

Hey, my job is a temp one until the 24th. I only am meant to be working sat/sun 10-2, but next week as I finish up for school, I will be working fri/sat/sun/mon/tues 10-5. Will I be paid this as overtime, my friend said something about if its your first month some places don't pay overtime? Can someone clarify if the overtime I would be doing would be paid. Cheers!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jshep000)
    Hey, my job is a temp one until the 24th. I only am meant to be working sat/sun 10-2, but next week as I finish up for school, I will be working fri/sat/sun/mon/tues 10-5. Will I be paid this as overtime, my friend said something about if its your first month some places don't pay overtime? Can someone clarify if the overtime I would be doing would be paid. Cheers!
    Can't see any reason why you wouldn't be paid overtime. Ask your manager about it just to be sure though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jshep000)
    I only do 4 hours Saturday, 4 hours Sunday, but my weekly pay is going to be £64. They do double-pay on sundays, so try to get some hours at least on a Sunday to boost the income even more. So The pay is around £5.40 I believe for us 16 year olds.
    You're only paid £5.40? I'm 17 and my pay rate is £7.02 an hour, and they don't stagger their pay rates anymore depending on your age, because that Union Usdaw or something forced them to pay us kids the same wage as adults. Also, I'm 95% sure Sundays is Time and a half, so you get paid 50% more (my pay on Sundays is £10.51/hour), not double.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddie442)
    You're only paid £5.40? I'm 17 and my pay rate is £7.02 an hour, and they don't stagger their pay rates anymore depending on your age, because that Union Usdaw or something forced them to pay us kids the same wage as adults. Also, I'm 95% sure Sundays is Time and a half, so you get paid 50% more (my pay on Sundays is £10.51/hour), not double.

We're on the same rate :P

My sheet at induction said I do Tuesday 4:30pm-9pm and Saturday 4pm-10pm, even though I should be working 3pm-9pm that night. The team leader confused me with two other people in our section with the same name as me, lol, so I have a really messed up set of hours/days. I'm having to keep my own spreadsheet at home to make sure I get paid properly this coming friday!

Did you get paid for your induction?
    • 20 followers

(Original post by eddie442)
    I made the post when it was my first shifts, so I didn't really know I was jsut basing it off other supermarkets. That's pretty decent then, have to starting working more hours on a Sunday then, haha!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!
    Just started checkouts today and have a few questions. I should have asked my managers but probably too late now.

They forgot to give us training and since it was so busy today, they stuck me and 3 other newcomers to tills.

Staff helped me do the pods for break/end shift.
    I know how to pod now but where do I actually put the pod during break/end shift? (For lunch breaks, do I only pod £20s/vouchers/coupons)? I am asking cause thats what the guy replacing me did.

My next shift is next saturday/sunday. (Will I receive my uniform by then?)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pigs can fly)
    Hello everyone!
    Just started checkouts today and have a few questions. I should have asked my managers but probably too late now.

They forgot to give us training and since it was so busy today, they stuck me and 3 other newcomers to tills.

Staff helped me do the pods for break/end shift.
    I know how to pod now but where do I actually put the pod during break/end shift? (For lunch breaks, do I only pod £20s/vouchers/coupons)? I am asking cause thats what the guy replacing me did.

My next shift is next saturday/sunday. (Will I receive my uniform by then?)
    No idea on your checkour questions sorry.

In regards to uniform... good luck!! Been there a month and a half, all I've got is a name badge and gloves. Doesn't really matter at the moment though as I'm more than happy to wear a christmas jumper
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How is it like to work at Tesco Express?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chigyy)
    How is it like to work at Tesco Express?
    Pay is great compared to other supermarkets (£7.02/hour at my Express, and £10.51/hour on sundays). Work isn't hard but unless it's quiet and you've been stuck on the till you'll always be doing something. It really depends on what your colleagues are like you, if they're nice them you won't find working there that bad.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 18, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.