Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The Tesco thread.

Announcements Posted on
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ja1)
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about applying for a job at my local Tesco's. It is only 12 hours a week which is perfect for me with school, but I'm not going to lie I'm slightly wary of one of the shift times, it is Saturday 7-12 in the evening, shall I just accept I am to become a social recluse till I (hopefully) go to uni this September or can I swap shifts on the occasional Saturday and maybe do work on another weekday afternoon, another time on Saturday or on Sunday? Are they very strict about shift changes basically?

Also I assume they won't look too sympathetically on A2 exams, and that there'd be no chance of reduced hours during the exam period? 12 hours a week isn't too bad anyway, and while I should hopefully be able to balance both the A2 exams are definitely my immediate priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Saturday in fairness sucks for you. At least you still have Friday nights. That said you may as well apply. The hours posted may well change. Depending on the people on your department you can probably swap shifts. Also you'll have holidays so you can always book one off if you know there's an event on on one of the Saturdays.

In regards to exams, you just need to see what they say. Again you have holidays you could use to book around that time. If you can't cope, you can always quit.
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ja1)
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about applying for a job at my local Tesco's. It is only 12 hours a week which is perfect for me with school, but I'm not going to lie I'm slightly wary of one of the shift times, it is Saturday 7-12 in the evening, shall I just accept I am to become a social recluse till I (hopefully) go to uni this September or can I swap shifts on the occasional Saturday and maybe do work on another weekday afternoon, another time on Saturday or on Sunday? Are they very strict about shift changes basically?

Also I assume they won't look too sympathetically on A2 exams, and that there'd be no chance of reduced hours during the exam period? 12 hours a week isn't too bad anyway, and while I should hopefully be able to balance both the A2 exams are definitely my immediate priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As already stated you can request holidays on the Saturdays you know you want off, but be sure to give loads of notice.

Do try and book other holidays around exam times and let them know that you may need to change them by a week or two either way to accomodate the exams. You can also request study leave, which is unpaid, but also make sure you do this as much in advance as possible to avoid disappointment.
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, quite encouraging that I can organise the job to some extent to for my work / social life. I've gone ahead and applied for it, now I just hope I get in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me how many weeks study leave (unpaid) i'm entitled to while working at Tesco? I'm pretty sure it's 4 weeks but I heard someone say it was two lots of 4 weeks so now i'm not sure.

Thanks
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chugoku)
    Can anyone tell me how many weeks study leave (unpaid) i'm entitled to while working at Tesco? I'm pretty sure it's 4 weeks but I heard someone say it was two lots of 4 weeks so now i'm not sure.

Thanks
    After three months of service you can apply for unpaid study leave. It can last from 1 day to 2 weeks. Up to a further 2 weeks can be requested in exceptional circumstances.
    The notice period for this is at least 4 weeks.

Source: Tesco Time For You booklet SR28
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anyone know where I can download the workshop books my manager told me I could find them online

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 27, 2015
New on TSR

Everyday things you can't do

Why do they make everything so difficult?

Article updates
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.