Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
x

Unlock these great extras with your FREE membership

• One-on-one advice about results day and Clearing
  • Free access to our personal statement wizard
  • Customise TSR to suit how you want to use it

The Tesco thread.

Announcements Posted on
Find your uni forum to get talking to other applicants, existing students and your future course-mates 27-07-2015
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kendellex)
    New jobs sometimes put people on an emergency tax code (which is 20%). Wait till you get your payslip. If it is tax you will get it back 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks that makes sense, wasn't told about that and it's my first official job minus waitressing at a local pub
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lotte-Elizabeth)
    Thanks that makes sense, wasn't told about that and it's my first official job minus waitressing at a local pub
    Don't worry. I was the same with my first job. Freaked out that I was getting paid below minimum for nights.
    The good thing is you tend to get all your tax back at once which means a huge pay day 😍😍

Posted from TSR Mobile
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I know it's different for most stores, but I want to apply to Tesco for when I move back to my uni city (3rd September). Is it too early to apply now? How long does the whole process last?
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kendellex)
    Don't worry. I was the same with my first job. Freaked out that I was getting paid below minimum for nights.
    The good thing is you tend to get all your tax back at once which means a huge pay day 😍😍

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When did you get yours back? Do you think it will be next month or later than that? I'm used to getting paid weekly and prefer it instead of having to wait another 30 days haha
  5. Online

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview on Wednesday (29/07) and then came in on thursday (30/07) to hand in my documents and the women asked me if I wanted to do a work sample. So I just worked in clothing for half an hour with some random women then after half an hour the women said I could leave if I liked so I left. Is this normal? Was I being assessed? Seems like I worked half an hour for free:confused:

Also does anyone know how long it takes them to contact you after this? They haven't given me any information at all...
  6. Online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheLikeTheMango)
    Do Tesco even hire 17 year olds? Seems like they only want 18 year olds

Everyone I've asked about tesco that is 17, said they got rejected.
    They do, I was 17 when I got hired a month ago; although I'm 18 now. My job hasn't changed at all so there is no advantage to having me at the age of 18 rather than 17. The only advantage is I don't have to ask someone if I can serve age restricted items... Not really going to make them want 18 year old's over 17's in my opinion.

One of my colleagues in the same department is 17, she started in December and turns 18 in September. Plus, a majority of people in my store started when they were 16/17 years ago! It's just a coincident that it was all your friends that were 17 that got rejected. I'm sure an equal amount of 25 year old's are rejected too!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 2, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you consider Clearing if you missed your offer?
Results and Clearing

Results are coming...

No sweat. Here's all you need to make sure you're ready

new on tsr

What's your life ambition?

Graduating, travelling, owning a business?

x

Think you'll be in clearing or adjustment?

Hear direct from unis that want to talk to you

Get email alerts for university course places that match your subjects and grades. Just let us know what you're studying.

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.