The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone help!? I applied for two roles at Tesco last Tuesday(April the 26th) which was the closing date. On the careers section it still says application in progress.. any idea of when I will find out if I have or havent got it, like will they call me or?
I got induction this Saturday and I start on next Thursday. I got one problem, I have sprained my ankle 5 days ago and on the verge of full recovery as i dont have any serious damage and should heal within a week. i have let the person who rang me today know about that and they said they will discuss it about it. Came this far and dont want my sprained ankle to lose me this job.
From being rejected several times and finally been offered a contract with Tesco only having to have my sprained ankle causing for the contract to be withdrawn from me.
Just started working at one since last Saturday, the only thing I need to remember is the brands and types of cigarettes haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a call like 2 weeks after the closing date for an interview, I know people who have waited like a month then they get a call

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ed2015
Can anyone help!? I applied for two roles at Tesco last Tuesday(April the 26th) which was the closing date. On the careers section it still says application in progress.. any idea of when I will find out if I have or havent got it, like will they call me or?

Whoops forgot to quote you^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1966
I just had my induction and was told my department will be pharmacy. Someone said this might require different training. Does anybody know if this is true? Also what is it like working in the pharmacy?
hi guys, if you cash in your bonus will this be going in the next pay??
Original post by Robert8x
I got a call like 2 weeks after the closing date for an interview, I know people who have waited like a month then they get a call

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay thanks I will just wait and see! :smile:
I've just had an interview for a dot com picker at Tesco (I worked there 3 years ago also) and it went pretty well. I did the work taster thing for 20 mins which went fine, she took my passport and NI number for scanning and said she will ring me today or tomorrow in regards to whether I got it. She was speaking to me as if I had got the job. Are the chances I have? I was also asked to fill in the available hours form.
Original post by mynameisgeoffery
hi guys, if you cash in your bonus will this be going in the next pay??

The decision has now been made to include it in the payment on 3rd June if you'd opted to cash it out straight away.

Hope this helps.
Hey all, current stock controller doing the potentials, don't like my store as there's too many managers with conflicting opinions. My line manager is useless as I can count the times I've spoken to her on one hand.

On the our Tesco website I see a Checkout team support position in a different store. It's a much longer commute than my current job, and it's the same hours. I'm wondering how much checkout team support get paid, the area is Northern Ireland if you're wondering.

Can any current checkout team support colleague tell me, how stressful/hard is the job? and how much do you get paid per hour?

EDIT: Can you also include information on Sunday pay, as it has 5 hours on a Sunday.
Much appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi! Got a call from the general manager at my local Tesco Extra to say I have an interview on Tuesday.

He told me that I will be doing group work with several other interviewees, what does this consist of?

What kind of questions are they expected to ask me?

:biggrin:
Just stumbled upon this topic - I work at Tesco as a Customer Assistant, but I'm leaving next week (I've got one shift left!) because I'm going travelling, and then to Uni. But I'm happy to answer anybody's questions about life as a CA in an Express store.

My rate is £7.24 and £10.24 on Sundays and bank holidays. I work 17.15 hours per week and mostly work evenings and afternoons, although I take morning overtime shifts a lot too. I've worked in two customer service jobs in my life, and out of the two (one cafe, one Tesco) I prefer Tesco, although it can get slightly boring at times.

Generally the people I work with are really lovely, although as a CA still in her teens I have been spoken down to on occasion by supervisors and step-ups (but this is rare). Just be kind and courteous to everyone and you should get along fine with the team.

Customers can get really annoying sometimes, but when you're in a good mood, it's easier to overlook this. The majority of people are fine, it's just the bad customers stick out in people's memories. If you make the effort to have a chat and compliment people you bring out the best in them. I have met some really lovely customers and some really not-so-lovely ones while at Tesco, but generally, if you have a kind and helpful attitude, people aren't so bad. (Though we all have our bad days, and I totally get it if you don't feel like fake-smiling 24/7).

It's going to be sad leaving, as it's not such a bad job really, perfect for someone like me who's on a gap year and needs something to keep her occupied. The pay and holidays are good too, but I've never been more than a CA so I can't speak for people higher-up.

:-)
I had an induction day, which lasted about 7-8 hours. In the morning we watched loads of safety/training videos and filled in a booklet (this was very boring). In the afternoon we had to practice a 'rumble,' which is basically tidying the shelves and pulling all the stock forward so it looks neat. Then we watched a few more videos before going home. I got half an hour for lunch which I spent wondering round the shop not doing too much. I had my induction at the town's huge Tesco store which caters for all inductions in the general area.

My first day at my actual store wasn't too bad as I was just stock-filling, but my second shift, when I learnt how to use the till, was a nightmare. You feel like such an idiot for the first couple of hours. The next few shifts were also pretty horrendous. But then, after the first week or so, something clicked and I was like, ah, ok, I can do this. Glad I didn't quit (I was close to quitting) in the first week. Power through and it'll be fine.
Hi Ellen Jane!

When you had an interview what questions did you get asked and how did the group team building tasks go? What did they consist of?
Original post by himynameisaaron
Hi Ellen Jane!

When you had an interview what questions did you get asked and how did the group team building tasks go? What did they consist of?

Hi :smile:

At my interview I was asked (as far as I can remember)
- Why I thought I'd be good working with customers
- What experience had I had dealing with difficult/ stressful situations
- Did I work well in a team
- What was I planning to do in the future
- Did I mind doing overtime

My manager was pretty cool with me and didn't seem to require too much for him to be impressed. As long as you can say at least one thing it'll be fine, they're not looking for too much.

I don't seem to remember any group tasks at the induction. It probably varies from place to place but at my induction we just watched a lot of videos and answered questions in a booklet. Although we were put in table groups, we didn't have to do any group exercises really. You can pretty much get away with not talking to anyone, but I did have a chat with some of the guys at my table, 2 of whom I'm now friends with who work at my store.
Original post by Ellen Jane
Just stumbled upon this topic - I work at Tesco as a Customer Assistant, but I'm leaving next week (I've got one shift left!) because I'm going travelling, and then to Uni. But I'm happy to answer anybody's questions about life as a CA in an Express store.

My rate is £7.24 and £10.24 on Sundays and bank holidays. I work 17.15 hours per week and mostly work evenings and afternoons, although I take morning overtime shifts a lot too. I've worked in two customer service jobs in my life, and out of the two (one cafe, one Tesco) I prefer Tesco, although it can get slightly boring at times.

Generally the people I work with are really lovely, although as a CA still in her teens I have been spoken down to on occasion by supervisors and step-ups (but this is rare). Just be kind and courteous to everyone and you should get along fine with the team.

Customers can get really annoying sometimes, but when you're in a good mood, it's easier to overlook this. The majority of people are fine, it's just the bad customers stick out in people's memories. If you make the effort to have a chat and compliment people you bring out the best in them. I have met some really lovely customers and some really not-so-lovely ones while at Tesco, but generally, if you have a kind and helpful attitude, people aren't so bad. (Though we all have our bad days, and I totally get it if you don't feel like fake-smiling 24/7).

It's going to be sad leaving, as it's not such a bad job really, perfect for someone like me who's on a gap year and needs something to keep her occupied. The pay and holidays are good too, but I've never been more than a CA so I can't speak for people higher-up.

:-)

Do you know how much night shift workers get per hour? And is the interview and application process hard?

Thanks
Original post by netfromhf
Hey all, current stock controller doing the potentials, don't like my store as there's too many managers with conflicting opinions. My line manager is useless as I can count the times I've spoken to her on one hand.

On the our Tesco website I see a Checkout team support position in a different store. It's a much longer commute than my current job, and it's the same hours. I'm wondering how much checkout team support get paid, the area is Northern Ireland if you're wondering.

Can any current checkout team support colleague tell me, how stressful/hard is the job? and how much do you get paid per hour?

EDIT: Can you also include information on Sunday pay, as it has 5 hours on a Sunday.
Much appreciated.

I'm currently a checkout team support colleague in Scotland. I'm paid around (give or take a few pence) 8.50 an hour with time and half on Sundays. If you decide to take the job, be aware that you need to have a very thick skin. You'll deal with pressures from both management and customers regarding service, with the latter often being very ill-tempered and ignorant. It's not all bad though - you'll always have tasks to complete, meaning the work day is often short and you'll feel like you've accomplished something at the end of your shift.

If you're a mature, enthusastic and thick-skinned individual then definitely go for it.

Best of luck.
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Do you know how much night shift workers get per hour? And is the interview and application process hard?

Thanks

Nightshift colleagues working between 2200-0600 are paid time and a half - This equates to around 10.50 an hour. Interview and application process is incredibly easy. However, actually being selected for the interview from the mountain of applicants for each job is the hard part.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending