Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Can provisional driving license be used for an official ID?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can provisional driving license be used for an official ID? :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jon7)
    Can provisional driving license be used for an official ID? :yep:
    By official, do you mean getting into clubs and bars, that sort of thing?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but you need you're counterpart and the photocard together for it to be official.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, never had any problems using mine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juicyfruit)
    By official, do you mean getting into clubs and bars, that sort of thing?
    Oh yes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Normally yes. However there are some places which will only accept a full driving license, not a provisional.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jon7)
    Oh yes
    Then yes I should think so, I've not needed to use mine yet, but friends have used theirs and have had no problem
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes but having 2 forms is best - I have the problem of my provisional not looking like me - it's a REALLY good picture *cough*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dstbgre)
    Normally yes. However there are some places which will only accept a full driving license, not a provisional.
    I never understood that rule. As long as it proves your ID and your age then there shouldn't be a problem!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staticrhubarb)
    I never understood that rule. As long as it proves your ID and your age then there shouldn't be a problem!
    The problem is that when you have a provisional, no-one has verified the picture on there is you! you can send any old rubbish pic in. A full driving license will have been seen by an examiner. Fake (ie getting someone else's putting your pic on it) can be a big problem
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fragreaper)
    The problem is that when you have a provisional, no-one has verified the picture on there is you! you can send any old rubbish pic in. A full driving license will have been seen by an examiner. Fake (ie getting someone else's putting your pic on it) can be a big problem
    What is this rubbish? I work for the DVA and provisional applications need to be be ID checked.

Yes they do count as ID, as long as you have a new style licence (colour as apposed to black and white).
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    That reminds me, i need to send of for one of these, how much do they cost, and is doing it online the quickest way? ive got a passport sized photo, but i cant get that online..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they can be used as ID.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bear_Grylls)
    That reminds me, i need to send of for one of these, how much do they cost, and is doing it online the quickest way? ive got a passport sized photo, but i cant get that online..
    Online is fastest and it costs £50.00 :yy:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fragreaper)
    Why did noone tell me this when I was 17?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robob)
    Why did noone tell me this when I was 17?
    Because it's a pile of crap.

It's advice like that which makes my job so hard - having to send so many applications back because they don't send valid ID.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staticrhubarb)
    Yeah thats what I thought but some of the clubs in Reading will only accept a full one or a passport.

(Original post by SusDev)
    What is this rubbish? I work for the DVA and provisional applications need to be be ID checked.

Yes they do count as ID, as long as you have a new style licence (colour as apposed to black and white).
    I was told by my old instructor that, whilst you do get ID checked for a provisional, you get a more through ID and background check when you upgrade to your full one making it much harder to commit fraud. Dont know if this is true though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusDev)

Yeah they ask for your passport number when you fill in the form and they take the picture directly from that. What do you mean colour as opposed to black and white? I got my provisional last august, and the picture's black and white. They said that b&w is the new standard for the pictures as its harder to forge or something.. i dont remember what they said, but it was part of the security features on it - better protection than colour. Like its laser imprinted into the card or something.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato123)
    Online is fastest and it costs £50.00 :yy:

£50!!!:eek:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2011
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.