The Student Room Group

6th year advice

Okay, so this Year I got:

H English - A
H Maths - B
H Spanish - B
Int 2 Graphics - C
H Computing - D

and i'm hoping to get into either civil engineering (need additional BC, including physics) or Human Resource Management (need BBC/AB) at Strathclyde uni.

What I would like advice on is what subjects to take next year. I was thinking on crashing H Biology as someone told me it was fairly straight forward. I also need H Physics (got a SG 2) and I was thinking of taking AH Pure Maths and Mechanics, although mechanics is in the same column as computing, which I should probably resit.

So the main questions are:

Should I crash Biology to hopefully get a B, or are there easier subjects to crash?

Should I resit computing and hopefully get an A/B or should I take mechanics which would probably help me with both my physics course and my first year of engineering at uni?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Coooombe
Okay, so this Year I got:

H English - A
H Maths - B
H Spanish - B
Int 2 Graphics - C
H Computing - D

and i'm hoping to get into either civil engineering (need additional BC, including physics) or Human Resource Management (need BBC/AB) at Strathclyde uni.

What I would like advice on is what subjects to take next year. I was thinking on crashing H Biology as someone told me it was fairly straight forward. I also need H Physics (got a SG 2) and I was thinking of taking AH Pure Maths and Mechanics, although mechanics is in the same column as computing, which I should probably resit.

So the main questions are:

Should I crash Biology to hopefully get a B, or are there easier subjects to crash?

Should I resit computing and hopefully get an A/B or should I take mechanics which would probably help me with both my physics course and my first year of engineering at uni?

Thanks in advance

You could crash Info Sys easily enough - it's very straightforward.

I'm not able to give you subject specific help, but if you choose to do the work twice by doing mechanics, will you be happy enough when doing it again at uni?
Why are you crashing? Wouldn't it be easier to do something you did at Standard Grade?

Can't you take Physics, Computing/Mechanics and Maths?
Reply 3
New...Romantic
Why are you crashing? Wouldn't it be easier to do something you did at Standard Grade?

Can't you take Physics, Computing/Mechanics and Maths?

Standard Grades were

Int 2 Spanish - A
Int 2 French - B
Maths - 1
P.E - 1
Geography - 2
Physics - 2
Computing - 2
English -2

Out of those I have sat 4 already, and am planning to sit Physics next year. I hated geography and french so i wont be resitting them and P.E is in the same column as Physics, so I cant choose that.

I need to take 4 subjects no matter how many Adv Hs I take as my school is crap, so I could take Maths, Physics, Biology and either Computing or Mechanics as they are in the same column. Im kinda edging towards computing though as I would prefer a more relaxing year next year and 2 Adv Hs will be a big workload.

Re. Grum Fox

My school doesnt offer Info systems unfortunately.
Coooombe

I need to take 4 subjects no matter how many Adv Hs I take as my school is crap

Ouch. That sounds like a lot. I don't know what you're capable of, but just judging from your results I think AH maths, H physics, computing and something else is your best bet. Biology is the easiest science supposedly, and I'm inclined to agree, but it's not that easy. There's a lot to remember and if you don't have any knowledge of SG work it might be quite hard. There was a guy in my higher biology class, he was crashing it and he had to look over the SG work so he was doing twice the work.

You seem to be good at english though, have you considered crashing something more essay-based like history or modern studies?
I would advise against taking AH mechanics with no prior knowledge of higher physics, there is an awful lot of information they take for granted you know and it would be quite difficult in my opinion.
Reply 6
New...Romantic

You seem to be good at english though, have you considered crashing something more essay-based like history or modern studies?

If im fairly honest (and a little modest) I wouldn't say I was that good at English. Before the exam the highest mark I had got was a C and I was truly shocked when I opened the envelope. History seems a little boring too me, but I'll check out modern studies and see if it is a possibility (no idea what column its in).

Another option is not to sit any AHs and sit 5 Hs, to give me a better chance of achieving BBC, although this would require me to take one of Music, Geo and History which would be a toughie

Meteorshower
I would advise against taking AH mechanics with no prior knowledge of higher physics, there is an awful lot of information they take for granted you know and it would be quite difficult in my opinion.

Thanks. I'm kinda edging towards resitting computing now as I'm not the best worker and I feel that 2 AHs would be too high a workload.

Would mechanics not help me with my physics, though, so that even if I didnt pass mechanics it could boost my physics grade?
Coooombe
If im fairly honest (and a little modest) I wouldn't say I was that good at English. Before the exam the highest mark I had got was a C and I was truly shocked when I opened the envelope. History seems a little boring too me, but I'll check out modern studies and see if it is a possibility (no idea what column its in).

Another option is not to sit any AHs and sit 5 Hs, to give me a better chance of achieving BBC, although this would require me to take one of Music, Geo and History which would be a toughie

Ahh well English can be a bit hard to predict. Modern Studies should be easy enough to crash if you have any interest at all in current affairs and can write essays. But you know better than any of us how well you could do.

5 Highers is a lot to do in 6th year. It's obviously possible, but most people lose motivation when uni offers come in. A lot of my friends dropped subjects after Christmas because they couldn't stand having to go to classes/study while everyone else sat about and played cards. If you think you could stick at it, and it'd be better for your uni application, you should try it though. Would they let you drop a Higher later in the year if you found it too much?
Reply 8
New...Romantic
Ahh well English can be a bit hard to predict. Modern Studies should be easy enough to crash if you have any interest at all in current affairs and can write essays. But you know better than any of us how well you could do.

5 Highers is a lot to do in 6th year. It's obviously possible, but most people lose motivation when uni offers come in. A lot of my friends dropped subjects after Christmas because they couldn't stand having to go to classes/study while everyone else sat about and played cards. If you think you could stick at it, and it'd be better for your uni application, you should try it though. Would they let you drop a Higher later in the year if you found it too much?

Yeah they would probably let me drop down to Int 2 or choose something else if I couldn't cope. It's just this whole Biology thing that's giving me a headache now. I've heard that its just a load of facts that you need to remember; is this similar to computing? If it is then I may find it difficult as im better at working things out than remembering things.
I crashed Geography, Modern Studies and RMPS this year and got As in all of them, but i notice you say you hated Geography, leaving Modern Studies and RMPS.
Coooombe
Yeah they would probably let me drop down to Int 2 or choose something else if I couldn't cope. It's just this whole Biology thing that's giving me a headache now. I've heard that its just a load of facts that you need to remember; is this similar to computing? If it is then I may find it difficult as im better at working things out than remembering things.

A lot of Biology is facts, but there's a fair bit of understanding needed too. And you haven't done science at all, apart from SG Physics. Do you have a friend that did H Biology last year? Ask them if you can look at their notes and maybe from that you can gauge whether or not you'd understand what it was on about.

I didn't find it similar to computing really. I hated H Computing. It just depends what you like and how your mind works. I liked Biology cos I could picture how everything fitted together, but I think SG helped.

If you're good at maths and like it, I think AH's not a bad idea. H Physics, and H Computing cos you're bound to improve this year. If it was me I'd take another Higher, but you have to choose that. I think you should look into Modern Studies, but if you want to do Biology I think you should look at course content first. A lot of people assume Biology's an easy A because it is a lot easier than Physics or Chemistry, but nothing's guaranteed. Don't just listen to what people tell you, look into it for yourself.
Reply 11
I would seriously think about why you want to resit computing - do you feel you are capable of significantly higher marks? Would you be happy doing a whole year of work you've already done?
One of the subjects I crashed was Modern Studies and I didn't find it too challenging.
Are Geography and French definitely out? If you got a B in Spanish, I wouldn't have thought another Latin language would be too hard a year.
What other subjects are offered in the columns you have free?

Latest