The Student Room Group

Starting afresh

is anyone else here starting at a new university for their postgraduate career, be it MA, MSc or PhD? If so where are you starting, where have you left? I'm starting at Warwick in September, at least i'm supposed to be, but i went to Cardiff for my undergraduate and don't know anyone else really who is starting a different university next year. Basically, i'm terrified of being the only one who is new, i want the freshers experience to be amazing again.
chel
is anyone else here starting at a new university for their postgraduate career, be it MA, MSc or PhD? If so where are you starting, where have you left? I'm starting at Warwick in September, at least i'm supposed to be, but i went to Cardiff for my undergraduate and don't know anyone else really who is starting a different university next year. Basically, i'm terrified of being the only one who is new, i want the freshers experience to be amazing again.

Yep, my third university in as many years; third country too! Still, I guess pedants will say that England and Wales aren't that separate but they are to me. Still, I'm off to Prifysgol Cymru, Abertawe in the autumn for a PhD in History. Should be exciting. I left, well first of all Oxford and then a small university in Nova Scotia where I did my MA. [I like travelling for free!].

Nothing to worry about though; should be quite exciting really. I'm looking forward to it.
Reply 2
oriel historian
Still, I guess pedants will say that England and Wales aren't that separate but they are to me.

I wouldn't call it pedantry ... although I am from Abertawe :smile:
GraveMentor
I wouldn't call it pedantry ... although I am from Abertawe :smile:

Ospreys then huh? Are they actually going to do something this season or not? Look like a bunch of West Wales pretty boys to me... :p:
Don't worry, loads of people go to a different university after their undergraduate degree -- I'm hoping to!
Reply 5
oriel historian
Ospreys then huh? Are they actually going to do something this season or not? Look like a bunch of West Wales pretty boys to me... :p:

Well, they did win the Six Nations last season :biggrin:
chel

It's very common. I'm going elsewhere for my MA/PhD and finding it pretty tough to contemplate starting somewhere new. I'm sure it will go brilliantly for the both of us, but it's perfectly normal to be apprehensive, especially if you were lucky enough to have loved your undergraduate university.
Reply 7
I wasn't keen on moving to the city my masters is based in, but actually it turned out for the best. :smile:
Reply 8
chel

There will be plenty of fellow new students at Warwick with you. But I suspect your Fresher's experience will not be as good as at Cardiff. i.e. the course is 1 year not 3 years and a higher degree of work focus is required.
i'm going to my third uni and third country in september - wooohoo!

loves being new and finding out stuff in a new city/country :-)
Reply 10
i am going to be starting leeds met after being at loughborough for 3 years. this time around i am also going to be living at home. the thought of making a fresh start is quite scary but at the same time i feel its necessary and will benefit me more in the long run.
You know, when first starting down this road I was under the impression that students in the UK were far more 'loyal' to their undergraduate universities when it came to postgraduate study. Part of it surely comes from most universities offering research degrees of course (unlike the many US liberal arts colleges), but in general there seemed to be a far more staid mindset, with the idea of 'starting afresh' being somewhat odd. Intermittently reading on here for the last nine months has more or less dispersed this impression, at least in regards to the PhD attuned crowd and the finance/economics types who dominate the landscape. Then here comes one of those 'I might be the only new person there' things which makes you reconsider in lieu of all the sentiment seeping to the surface.....:woo:

Anyways I'll be on my third uni in four years, and fourth city in four years for that matter. An educational life defined by suitcases, I'm already cutting books from the packing list and am SOO happy to have THREE pairs of Jeans for the first time ever!:o:
Reply 12
I'm in the same position, degree from Northumbria in Newcastle, starting a PhD at Loughborough in October, originally from Manchester (back home atm and can't wait to have my own space again!).

Am a bit apprehensive about starting all over again, but also really looking forward to it; I like fresh starts =)

Just wish they'd hurr up and finalise everything 'cause can't get accomodation sorted until the contracts with the sponsors have been signed and I'd feel a whole lot better about moving to a new place knowing I have somewhere to live!
Reply 13
Same here, I am starting a new uni for my masters. My undergrad degree is from Leeds and I will be returning home to study at Durham for my MA.
Yup I'm starting at a new uni too and am getting more petrified by the day as D-day approaches *rocks in chair*
Reply 15
I've just finished my LLB, which I did at Sheffield Hallam, and next month I'm starting an LLM at Leicester. I''m not too worried about meeting new people and stuff, because (1) I'm from Leicester originally, so I now get much more contact with my friends; and (2) my course has very little contact time, which means I'm sure I'll barely know the people on my course at the end of the year anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending