The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Helenia
Is Emma bar going to be open after the end of term though? I don't know if ours is (and if it is, Clare cellars is easily the coolest college bar in town, so :tongue:)

Last year I hung around for a few days, this year I'm probably going to hang around for a bit longer, but the bar was only open for the first day of interview people. Then it shut :frown:

I like the saffron brasserie which is on hills road (towards station) but it was quite dear, no been to the curry king though :eek:

Oh, and bun shop is on king street. King's parade is between trumpington street and trinity street, outside King's funnily enough :biggrin:

Xmas formal tomorrow, and it isn't even december yet, ffs.

A.
Alaric
Last year I hung around for a few days, this year I'm probably going to hang around for a bit longer, but the bar was only open for the first day of interview people. Then it shut :frown:

I like the saffron brasserie which is on hills road (towards station) but it was quite dear, no been to the curry king though :eek:

Oh, and bun shop is on king street. King's parade is between trumpington street and trinity street, outside King's funnily enough :biggrin:

Xmas formal tomorrow, and it isn't even december yet, ffs.

A.

We don't get much of December here though, to be fair!

King Street is, confusingly, nowhere near King's. If you go past Christ's on your right and just keep going straight without turning down towards the shopping area, you'll be on Hobson Street; the road bends to the right and it's then King Street! The Bun Shop is about 50yds further, on your left. Some people have recommended Clowns to me too - it's a little cafe/restaurant thing further down the street on your right. Never been there though.

The Curry King does a student meal deal - curry, naan, rice and a pint of anything for £10. Not that good value really, considering the curries aren't brilliant and the service is fairly... um... well, let's say if you don't want naan, you're in trouble. But it is cheaper than going elsewhere :smile:

A friend got thrown out of the Curry King once for having a naan-slapping fight...
Reply 22
whatever you do, make sure you dont give any of your money to "Eat.". That place is terrible.....they over charge for everything (sneak in extra charges etc), their food isnt that great, and in some cases was stupidly salty! Their staff are rude and money grabbers and I just don't like them! I guess this comes from an experience i had 3 weeks ago with them, where I went in and bought some stuff and said "to take away" and then he starts getting out a tray and stuff (after he's busied himself with the till, charging me for stuff) and i say "no, i said take away please"....and he hesistates and goes "oh....right" and then puts it in a bag. Then he charges me...and i think "jeees that was expensive" and then he gives me my change and says "next customer" and I say "what about my reciept?"......he had ripped it off and srunched it up......and he goes "oh.....errr......hmmm" and hesistates to hand it over, I take a look and say "hold on, you charged me eating in cost!" and he's like "oh...right"

NO APOLOGY! He thought he could get away with getting more money off me! And the food really isnt that great. Boycott Eat I tell ya, goto Pret a Manger next door, they're so much nicer in there! And cheaper....and tastier (the hot chocolate didnt taste of WATER like Eat's)
Reply 23
Katie J
Are you doing the special Clare rowing training week thing? We were told all about that over post race chips yesterday! Hardcore Clare boaties!

I will be around. Whether I want to row is another matter. Or whether they want me...
Reply 24
WoW? Will be get to see some of the rowing? People always talk about it~

n if we can were is it gonna take place+ my question abt the college bar is the same-would it be open?
Reply 25
Traum
WoW? Will be get to see some of the rowing? People always talk about it~

n if we can were is it gonna take place+ my question abt the college bar is the same-would it be open?

The rowing will be on the Cam, but not the nice bit on the Backs, you have to go up to Jesus Green and past all the boathouses. A fair way, and it'll be cold, plus it'll only be college crews - the Blues don't train on the Cam. But if you're really keen to see it, there may well be some around, though don't get your hopes up too much!

Don't know about college bars, I think I'm going to come back up after this weekend, so I'd quite like to know too!
Reply 26
Willa
whatever you do, make sure you dont give any of your money to "Eat.". That place is terrible.....they over charge for everything (sneak in extra charges etc), their food isnt that great, and in some cases was stupidly salty! Their staff are rude and money grabbers and I just don't like them! I guess this comes from an experience i had 3 weeks ago with them, where I went in and bought some stuff and said "to take away" and then he starts getting out a tray and stuff (after he's busied himself with the till, charging me for stuff) and i say "no, i said take away please"....and he hesistates and goes "oh....right" and then puts it in a bag. Then he charges me...and i think "jeees that was expensive" and then he gives me my change and says "next customer" and I say "what about my reciept?"......he had ripped it off and srunched it up......and he goes "oh.....errr......hmmm" and hesistates to hand it over, I take a look and say "hold on, you charged me eating in cost!" and he's like "oh...right"

NO APOLOGY! He thought he could get away with getting more money off me! And the food really isnt that great. Boycott Eat I tell ya, goto Pret a Manger next door, they're so much nicer in there! And cheaper....and tastier (the hot chocolate didnt taste of WATER like Eat's)

Eats... you mean Let's Eat? 'cos they over charge on everything too... i think the eat in price is 50p more than take away... most of the people working there are teenagers in MK though, so they r pretty kool over here.
I prefer Starbucks out of all the cafes...they make lush hot chocolates!
Reply 27
Helenia
The rowing will be on the Cam, but not the nice bit on the Backs, you have to go up to Jesus Green and past all the boathouses. A fair way, and it'll be cold, plus it'll only be college crews - the Blues don't train on the Cam. But if you're really keen to see it, there may well be some around, though don't get your hopes up too much!

Don't know about college bars, I think I'm going to come back up after this weekend, so I'd quite like to know too!

you guys get to stay in the Uni during the holidays? I thought they would get rid of everyone...

And the rowing team...who are the blues? Are they really good or something (soz i know nothing about it... :frown: )?
Reply 28
Before leaving, I don't think I ever saw more than about 10 people in Eat... maybe all the freshers didn't realise it's new and rubbish.
Reply 29
Helenia
The rowing will be on the Cam, but not the nice bit on the Backs, you have to go up to Jesus Green and past all the boathouses. A fair way, and it'll be cold, plus it'll only be college crews - the Blues don't train on the Cam. But if you're really keen to see it, there may well be some around, though don't get your hopes up too much! Don't know about college bars, I think I'm going to come back up after this weekend, so I'd quite like to know too!

I told you! I told you that as soon as you join the boat club all you'd be able to do is talk boatie! *points* :tongue:
Reply 30
right, mental note to self- don't eat in EAT and beware of the boats?
Reply 31
Traum
you guys get to stay in the Uni during the holidays? I thought they would get rid of everyone...

And the rowing team...who are the blues? Are they really good or something (soz i know nothing about it... :frown: )?

The Blues are the University mens' First boat, though at the moment there's 20 of them, trialling for the 16 places in the Blue Boat (that does the Boat Race) and Goldie, the 2nd boat. You could say they're a bit good. :wink: They don't train on the Cam though. All the rowers that will be out next week will mostly be college boats, though you may see the Lightweights (University men weighing under 72.5kg) out occasionally.

Some people get chucked out of their rooms straight away for the holidays, if they're being used for conferences or for interview candidates. Nobody's using my room though, so I could theoretically stay till Dec 19th, though I doubt I actually will. I'm just gonna hang around, do some work, spend more time with my friends etc.
Reply 32
Helenia
The Blues are the University mens' First boat, though at the moment there's 20 of them, trialling for the 16 places in the Blue Boat (that does the Boat Race) and Goldie, the 2nd boat. You could say they're a bit good. :wink: They don't train on the Cam though. All the rowers that will be out next week will mostly be college boats, though you may see the Lightweights (University men weighing under 72.5kg) out occasionally.

Some people get chucked out of their rooms straight away for the holidays, if they're being used for conferences or for interview candidates. Nobody's using my room though, so I could theoretically stay till Dec 19th, though I doubt I actually will. I'm just gonna hang around, do some work, spend more time with my friends etc.

alright, anyway I think we are gonna pop down there + watch, my friend is a big fan (although i'm not sure if it's the actual rowing or the boys :tongue: )...she is pretty sure is gonna pull...god save me... :redface:
Reply 33
Traum
alright, anyway I think we are gonna pop down there + watch, my friend is a big fan (although i'm not sure if it's the actual rowing or the boys :tongue: )...she is pretty sure is gonna pull...god save me... :redface:

She won't be pulling when they're on the river, they most likely won't even be looking at her. She could try the clubs etc, but most people will have gone home. And frankly, the men ain't all that :tongue:
I don't go to Cambridge university but I've lived in Cambridge for all of my life.. I'm now 18.

The best pub in Cambridge is The Graduate. Don't let anyone try and tell you otherwise. They are lying.

To eat, if I'm in a hurry, Pickwicks sandwich bar is seriously nice. And cheap. But if you want to sit down.. hmmm, La Margherita on Bridge Street.
Reply 35
Helenia
She won't be pulling when they're on the river, they most likely won't even be looking at her. She could try the clubs etc, but most people will have gone home. And frankly, the men ain't all that :tongue:

Try to tell her that... last time we went to cambridge (i think it was sumwhere in jul, you know one of your opening days...) and she was like so many more fit guys here than oxford + i think secretly that made her choice about the two Uni's final...(she wasn't quite sure b4...).

Anyways are there any good clubs in Cambridge?
Reply 36
Tonight Matthew
I don't go to Cambridge university but I've lived in Cambridge for all of my life.. I'm now 18.

The best pub in Cambridge is The Graduate. Don't let anyone try and tell you otherwise. They are lying.

To eat, if I'm in a hurry, Pickwicks sandwich bar is seriously nice. And cheap. But if you want to sit down.. hmmm, La Margherita on Bridge Street.

No offence, but i've always had this image of pubs where its all tough n rough+filled with middle aged pedophile... is that true in this case? :biggrin:
Not really. Ballare is full of bazzas and rank girls. Fez on a Monday night is alright, although the bouncers are disgustingly greasy. Luckily, being a male, I tend to avoid their attention.

Then again, I'm actually from Cambridge, so I probably assume everything is crap.
Traum
No offence, but i've always had this image of pubs where its all tough n rough+filled with middle aged pedophile... is that true in this case? :biggrin:

Not at all. The Graduate's average age is probably around 19 / 20. They also play great music and it's really comfortable. The video jukebox is a plus as well.

The only negative thing is that it's slightly out of town, so it's a bit of a walk. But then again, that probably keeps all the barry boys away, which is partly why it's so cool.
Reply 39
Traum
Anyways are there any good clubs in Cambridge?

No, not at all. Great fun when you're with your friends and drunk, not good for much else :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending