The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't mind it but it's hard to come across stuff that is what you are looking for and fits really well, having said, I found some really cool dark red high waisted shorts from beyond retro I really like.. but haven't worn yet!!
I love vintage everything, although it is more of an effort it is so much more rewarding when you discover hidden treasures. I like 40s and 50s stuff because all the dresses are really well fitted and flattering for curvier girls.
I love 20s and 30s stuff most though.. Like beaded flapper dresses, cloche hats ect. There was a gorgeous shop in Oxford where i got this amazing indigo 60s ish brocade shift dress for £12! I was so chuffed. European flea markets have really interesting things like antiques and old clothes/ bags / books /brooches but some of the French ones are touristy rip offs... Slovenia is quite good randomly!
I like Beyond Retro because it has cool american stuff like preppy cardigans and sports stuff...
I went to a shop in Birmingham and got an 80's angora jumper, a black velvet crop top to go over a white shirt and a very 80's off the shoulder dress which I'm having altered to fit (They must have been very broad in the 80's lol). The jumper was the most expensive thing at £25 and the dress was £4 as was the top!!! It was so much cheaper than Beyond Retro in London, but no surprise there.
^^yeah totally agree that beyond retro is a bit too expensive for the clothes, but I guess it's the most public shop of that kind at least in london so they just exploit the fact they are well known.
I'd say Beyond Retro is cheaper than many of the other vintage shops in London e.g. Rokit and some of the boutique ones in trendy bits of the east end.. but it is still not much of a bargain.

Jumble sales on the other hand are!
Most of my clothes are vintage or hand-me-downs. I just love the idea of there being a story behind each item of clothing, and of course the fact that most of it is completely different to stuff you can find on the high street!

I buy most of my vintage from ebay, I usually find better bargains on there than in any brick and mortar or online shops. When I'm feeling up to it I normally find some amazing stuff in the (numerous!) charity shops in my town (I swear there are more charity shops than regular shops) - there are a LOT of older people that live round here, so there are often huge deliveries of really good quality vintage. Love it :smile:
t shirts and jumpers and jackets and stuff
i do like vintage and have quite a few items but i hardly ever wear a head to toe full on vintage outfit, don't think i could pull it off. i usually wear branded stuff with maybe 1 or 2 vintage pieces because a lot of the vintage i find is big and doesn't fit me well.
luckily my mum had good taste back in the day so i usually steal/borrow her clothing.
Reply 9
I sadly, as of yet, don't own anything vintage or of that style, but I love admiring the dresses on this ebay shop
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RosaRosa-Retro
Reply 10
Adore vintage!

60s FTW!
Reply 11
I bought a vintage outfit ( a skirt and a matching waistcoat) from ebay. I recently wore it on a 70s night out in Manchester and I got loads of positive comments. Doubt I will wear it again though sadly.
I like vintage, but I prefer shopping for it in charity shops and getting random bits that I wouldn't be able to find elsewhere, and its cheap too.
Reply 13
Hedda.Gabler
There was a gorgeous shop in Oxford where i got this amazing indigo 60s ish brocade shift dress for £12!

where is this shop?!
Reply 14
Guys, what vintage clothing can you wear in the winter?
jackets, coats and sweaters??
Reply 16
bete noire
jackets, coats and sweaters??

Show me examples of vintage ones. By 'vintage' I mean 70s and older. The 80s are 'retro' imo as I was born in them.
Tufts
Show me examples of vintage ones. By 'vintage' I mean 70s and older. The 80s are 'retro' imo as I was born in them.

Fair point, although, I'm sure they still wore jackets, sweaters and coats in the 70s and older :smile:
Reply 18
I like vintage (20s,30s, 70s) :biggrin: I just go to my grandmother's closet :P

(I strongly dislike 80s tho!!)
I would recommend you take a trip to Brick Lane and the streets near there :wink: Plenty of vintage clothing shops there.

Latest