The Student Room Group

Maintenance Grant for an EU student?

Hi guys :smile:

Maybe you could give me a piece of advice. I did some research on Student Loans and Grants yesterday and I admit I'm sort of puzzled.
I'm going to apply to Durham for a course starting in Oct 2009 and I was wondering...

1. Is it possible to get a Student Tuition Loan if I am an EU citizen, isn't it?
2. Does any organisation provide financial support for international/EU students that could be used for covering up the accomodation costs, catering and other living expences? Is it possible to get Maintenance Grant even if I am an EU citizen?

I'm truly horrified of an idea of working my @$s off during summer holidays and besides, there's no chance to earn £5,000 - £6,000 by washing dishes somewhere in the UK.
Reply 1
1. Yes
2. No, you can't get a maintenance grant or loan as and EU student only UK. Not sure about organisations that can help but others might know.
Reply 2
Yes you can get your fees paid for. Fill in form EU8N and send it off to the address at the end of the form.

You can get help with living costs only if you have been living in UK for at least 3 years before start of your course.
Reply 3
@flipshot @momo25
Thanks for your quick response. Aaah that's what I've been afraid so much - I have no idea where I'll get so much money :frown:

Anyways if anybody knows how could I get *any* financial support I'd be really thankful :smile:
Reply 4
Hey, i got the same problem..Did anyone help you at the end?!
Id reaaaally appreaciate some help!
Reply 5
Hi, I am a EU citizen and I receive the maintenance grant. I also have access to the the fee loans. I got all of that because I´ve applied under the migrant worker status.
When I had applied [2 years ago] that migrant worker status basically meant that if you have been working in the UK/EU for some time before you start your course you would have the same level of financial help as a UK citizen.
I have to add that this does not work for all EU countries, specially the last counties to enter the EU. The form is the PR 1 [the same as the UK students] and you may need to be insistent and explain them their own student finace rules because once they see that that you are not a uk citizen, they will sent refer you to the EU Team without paying attention to what you´re saying [ but then this was when you would be abble to see someone in the face or even use an e-mail based way of communication, now it´s all by phone.. wich helps a lot ] . It happened to me, and because money is really short for education at the time they may well use your "ignorance" against [you wich means they may say that ´you´re entitled to it, even if you are].
But then not every EU citizen will be entitled for help,and please bear in mind that the rules are always changing.
I believe the best piece of advice I can give you is: do your research, know your rights and fight for them.
Check this link from Student finance, specially the EEA and Swiss migrant workers part.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/StudentsFromOtherEUCountries/DG_065322
Reply 6
Imahaen
Hi, I am a EU citizen and I receive the maintenance grant. I also have access to the the fee loans. I got all of that because I´ve applied under the migrant worker status.
When I had applied [2 years ago] that migrant worker status basically meant that if you have been working in the UK/EU for some time before you start your course you would have the same level of financial help as a UK citizen.
I have to add that this does not work for all EU countries, specially the last counties to enter the EU. The form is the PR 1 [the same as the UK students] and you may need to be insistent and explain them their own student finace rules because once they see that that you are not a uk citizen, they will sent refer you to the EU Team without paying attention to what you´re saying [ but then this was when you would be abble to see someone in the face or even use an e-mail based way of communication, now it´s all by phone.. wich helps a lot ] . It happened to me, and because money is really short for education at the time they may well use your "ignorance" against [you wich means they may say that ´you´re entitled to it, even if you are].
But then not every EU citizen will be entitled for help,and please bear in mind that the rules are always changing.
I believe the best piece of advice I can give you is: do your research, know your rights and fight for them.
Check this link from Student finance, specially the EEA and Swiss migrant workers part.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/StudentsFromOtherEUCountries/DG_065322

So essentially this would only happen if you were a mature student or had taken several years off in between school and uni to work? How long is this "some time" exactly? Cheers!
Reply 7
Hi, I a EU student and I going to bring up thread so old that original posters are almost to graduating.

Can I have advice words?
Reply 8
^ same

Latest

Trending

Trending