Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are We competing in the Olympics as GREAT BRITAIN ?!

Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Edwinnator)
    The Nations already compete separately in football, why not in the olympics?
    Because there is a historical reason for competing separately in football - the Olympic suggestion is just narrow-minded separatist nonsense.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Impossible.
    I doubt it's entirely impossible, but I can't see the IOC allowing it that's for sure. What next? Team London with Boris Johnson proudly flying the flag?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Someone asked William G Stewart this on 15-1 a few years back.

I can't remember his answer. Shame, it would be really useful now.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Definately should be separate I am Welsh not British ffs
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superfical space cadet)
    No, you're just an idiot.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Football is different because each nation have their own FA, who, each in turn, have voting rights over policy with FIFA. There's always the Commonwealth for you. By the way, I prefer regionalism anyway. City/county regionalism - London and Berkshire FTW!

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    the Olympic suggestion is just narrow-minded separatist nonsense.
    Oh let's rephrase that, have some sensitivity for those who live beyond the borders of England!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be confused. The fact that you are welsh means you are British. Britain is also a description of our Island. It's like saying "I'm French not European" or "I'm Chinese not Asian".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Because you only need 11 people for football. Can you honestly see each "home nation" being able to each muster enough olympic grade people in each sport to each have a decent team and chance?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 'English' then. I'm a Londoner. Where's my London passport? :woo:
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh let's rephrase that, have some sensitivity for those who live beyond the borders of England!
    What, like Lib himself?

Anyway, I'm sure the reason why it's team GB and not UK is for more than just reasons of shortness (or the IOC just not being very good at geography). There is some official (historical) reason behind it.

What are peoples feelings about a GB football team for 2012?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I doubt it's entirely impossible, but I can't see the IOC allowing it that's for sure. What next? Team London with Boris Johnson proudly flying the flag?
    Well it is really. What would the criteria be on which country they played for? Whatever they decide on, you end up with one of two situations; either people practically get to choose who they play for, or some athletes get excluded from all sides.

What about a team currently made up of a mixture? Do you start splitting those up and force them to make new ones based on their country?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm15)
    Because you only need 11 people for football. Can you honestly see each "home nation" being able to each muster enough olympic grade people in each sport to each have a decent team and chance?
    Hmm. Cue the part about loads of nations sending smaller teams? You know the countries where all those ghastly black/brown/yellow foreigners live? And I believe they do quite well too?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobagnall)
    it ****ing well shouldnt be!

I'd choose the British team if I was an athlete
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Oh they're so going to bicker over the quota per nation...

(Note: Nation as in England, Wales, Scotland etc)

Oh wait, by that time Mr. Salmond will have won his referendum on independence, meaning that team GB will become team UK of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Anyway, I'm sure the reason why it's team GB and not UK is for more than just reasons of shortness (or the IOC just not being very good at geography). There is some official (historical) reason behind it.
    Well, this stuff about Northern Ireland must be off - after all, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland did not exist at the time we first fielded Team GB at the Olympics.

I'm actually quite looking forward to it. Should never have been done away with (in 1972, I believe); all just ridiculous red-tape.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait, by that time Mr. Salmond will have won his referendum on independence, meaning that team GB will become team UK of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    You think?

What a very fertile imagination you have.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    You think?

What a very fertile imagination you have.
    You're in denial!
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Cue the part about loads of nations sending smaller teams? You know the countries where all those ghastly black/brown/yellow foreigners live? And I believe they do quite well too?

Define 'quite well'.

If you mean "ooh, look, they managed to afford plane tickets here and everything!" then yeah, you're quite right. Somehow, I don't see the vast sport superpower that is Vanuatu threatening China's position at the top of the medal's table, do you?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh they're so going to bicker over the quota per nation...

(Note: Nation as in England, Wales, Scotland etc)

Yeah, and then Scotland will have gone bankrupt in about 20seconds and gone back to Westminster begging to be 're-allowed' into the Union.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 29, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Share your study tips

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.