Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are We competing in the Olympics as GREAT BRITAIN ?!

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superfical space cadet)
    Definately should be separate I am Welsh not British ffs
    Likewise I am English not British :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Define 'quite well'.

If you mean "ooh, look, they managed to afford plane tickets here and everything!" then yeah, you're quite right. Somehow, I don't see the vast sport superpower that is Vanuatu threatening China's position at the top of the medal's table, do you?
    I dunno, eric moussambani did rather well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjCc...eature=related
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Edwinnator)
    Hmm. Cue the part about loads of nations sending smaller teams? You know the countries where all those ghastly black/brown/yellow foreigners live? And I believe they do quite well too?
    Your clearly trying to paint anyone who feels british as a racist - which isn't true.
    2. Did I forget to mention that fact that the IOC only lets sovereign officaily recognised countries compete?
    3. I can't understand why you don't feel even a little bit brittish (not even welsh first british second ehich is bad enough) seen as you were born in the UK not an independent Wales.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candescence)
    I dunno, eric moussambani did rather well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjCc...eature=related
    Yeah, he found the pool...

He was - over 100m - over a minute slower than any of the real competitors. I know the Olympics is supposed to be an amateur event, but that just takes the mick.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think we're 'GB' because 'UK' is taken by Ukraine. I don't really see why they have priority, but then I can't imagine what alternative Ukraine has.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formica)
    I think we're 'GB' because 'UK' is taken by Ukraine. I don't really see why they have priority, but then I can't imagine what alternative Ukraine has.
    That's probably why
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formica)
    Fairly sure all the shortenings used are 3 letters, so Ukraine would be UKR or something, and we would be UKI or UKN or UKG, maybe that's why we do it, none of those are as good as GBR.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and then Scotland will have gone bankrupt in about 20seconds and gone back to Westminster begging to be 're-allowed' into the Union.
    Well, considering Scotland would - if last year's trends were anything to go by - be one of only six countries that would have run at a surplus, I think suggesting bankruptcy is quite laughable. Indeed, considering the value of a barrel of oil these days, the Scottish economy is doing terrifically.

I am a Unionist because I believe this wealth should be shared, not because I think Scotland would suffer economically as an independent state.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juicyfruit)
    Likewise I am English not British :yep:
    Well it's nonsense all the same. You are British and the state you live in is called Great Britain and Northern Ireland. As such, that is your Olympic team. Quite simple, no?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Well, considering Scotland would - if last year's trends were anything to go by - be one of only six countries that would have run at a surplus, I think suggesting bankruptcy is quite laughable. Indeed, considering the value of a barrel of oil these days, the Scottish economy is doing terrifically.

I am a Unionist because I believe this wealth should be shared, not because I think Scotland would suffer economically as an independent state.
    The idea that scotland would go bankrupt immediately is so ridiculous. It might stumble a bit as the SNP has no experience of raising money just spending its devolved allowence

I'm a unionist for the pure and simple fact I was born in the UK not an independent/on its own England.

Anyway back on thread people
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Well it's nonsense all the same. You are British and the state you live in is called Great Britain and Northern Ireland. As such, that is your Olympic team. Quite simple, no?
    I live in England, which is within the United Kingdom.
    I just think that we should have teams - England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales.
    Please do not patronise me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seriously are u really that bothered? Great Britain? UK? England Ireland Scotland Wales, its all the feckin same. We are all competing for as many gold medals as we can does it matter what we are called? as far as im concered we could be called the high tax country as long as we all go in with great spirit and give it everything weve got i couldnt give too hoots as to what we are called.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Then feel English as well as british because you may live in England but your actual country is the UK

Edit: to the person who neged me this post and my others aren't patronising. And anyway it was Lib that was told to stop patronising juicyfruit not me note post 51 by juicyfruit was quoting Lib and not me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cause, lets face it, each country on its own is naff and wouldnt do well.. The fact that its bunched together makes us just look a little better and feel a bit prouder.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:

Where does it end, though? I'm from Yorkshire, I might not want to be associated with those southerners...

There's nothing 'wrong' with being called GBR, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

[And, factor in that as London is the next host city, any GB athlete gains automatic qualification in their discipline. If we split up, Scottish, Welsh and N.Irish would have to qualify, which normally means having to be in the top 100 [or something like that] in the world of their sport.]
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would open up a huge can of worms if they Olympic committee allowed that. If the UK is allowed multiple teams, then other countries might want it too. Eg. separate teams for each state of the USA.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    It would open up a huge can of worms if they Olympic committee allowed that. If the UK is allowed multiple teams, then other countries might want it too. Eg. separate teams for each state of the USA.
    States are not countries though.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    States are not countries though.
    Neither are Wales or Northern Ireland :ninja:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Neither are Wales or Northern Ireland :ninja:
    You're saying Wales and Northern Ireland are not countries but England and Scotland are?!
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're saying Wales and Northern Ireland are not countries but England and Scotland are?!
    Yes. Because that's the case.

Wales is a principality and Northern Ireland is something else [dukedom?]. England and Scotland are countries. There is a difference, however minor and nominal.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 29, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.