The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
Alphashadow
Hey there.

With a bit of luck I'll be here (either Leeds or Greenwich) come September.
I'm going to be doing single honors German.

Just a couple of questions ...
Is the workload in the first year intense, or spaced out etc?
Are there many lectures per wk?

Apologies if there's another thread like this - search didn't come up with anything for some reason...

Ta very much,
Joe.

Hey,

I'm just about to go into fourth year of German :smile:

Can't really remember back to first year so well haha, but I definitely don't remember the workload being intense - I was out partying lots so it's definitely manageable :smile:

As for lectures per week, there's not a lot of German modules (though I was Joint Honours in first year), but you do have to pick 40 credits (i think) of electives, so you could pick something with a lower workload if you picked wisely.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
In my first year, I took German as my elective and I dropped it without question in second year because it was more work than my degree subjects (French and Management) put together. It was so fun though, and the German department is so friendly. Most of my friends are from the German department. Although I always had a lot of work to get through, it wasn't especially hard.

In my first year, I had about 15 hours a week in uni.
How many people are there in the year as a whole that do German? If you take french as an elective do you have lessons to get taught up to scratch or are you just doing degree level French straight away?
Reply 4
I'd say there was about 55 of us.

If you take French as an elective, there are different level ones to choose from - Beginners or Normal. There may even be an intermediate. Not sure.
Just a quickie- what kind of stuff have you learned about in German lessons so far? Do you get to watch films and listen to german music etc in lessons? Are you enjoying it and why did you choose Leeds over everywhere else. I'm thinking about applying for German (+ french if possible) or German and Russian at Leeds this Sept/ Oct. Dankeschoen -x-
Reply 6
Depends which modules you take.
Listening to German music in lessons?! Not at university level, no.
And some modules include films but obviously that's going to be in your own time you watch them, not lesson time.

The modules are all here http://www.leeds.ac.uk/german/undergraduate.htm

I love it - the city, the department, the people - all fantastic.

I chose Leeds...cos I'd already been to Nottingham Uni for a year, and Leeds was my insurance when I originally applied, so I decided to just apply to Leeds the second time around. I just knew it'd be somewhere I'd fit in and love.
Thanks again :smile:
Reply 8
Np, hope you choose it.
Reply 9
Cheers for the info, but I'm off to my second choice (Greenwich) now..
Still, it gives me a vague idea of what to expect, so thanks again :smile:

Latest