The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Once they make an offer, is there any rush to accept it? I don't mean rushing my decision (that would be stupid) but considering the time frame, is there any risk I could lose that place if someone else comes along?
I'm just wondering because I'm considering a few universities and if I get offers I obviously want to check out the unis and departments...
free_one
Once they make an offer, is there any rush to accept it? I don't mean rushing my decision (that would be stupid) but considering the time frame, is there any risk I could lose that place if someone else comes along?
I'm just wondering because I'm considering a few universities and if I get offers I obviously want to check out the unis and departments...

well I know that they didn't give me a time limit, but then I expect that they would be thinking if you're applying to them knowing you'd get an unconditional if they offered then they would be expecting you to go to them. So it's up to you, but personally I would choose what I want to do/go to before applying at this point in the UCAS cycle. Also I've heard that most universities will give a limit once A-Levels are published in order to achieve a high turnover you know :P
Reply 22
arisk01
well I know that they didn't give me a time limit, but then I expect that they would be thinking if you're applying to them knowing you'd get an unconditional if they offered then they would be expecting you to go to them. So it's up to you, but personally I would choose what I want to do/go to before applying at this point in the UCAS cycle. Also I've heard that most universities will give a limit once A-Levels are published in order to achieve a high turnover you know :P

Well I know what course and places I want to go. The only thing is that I haven't gone to check them out.
So they'll already have a limit for the number of people allowed into a course through clearing? I obviously won't take a couple of weeks to make up my mind... I just hope something good comes up in clearing...
free_one
Well I know what course and places I want to go. The only thing is that I haven't gone to check them out.
So they'll already have a limit for the number of people allowed into a course through clearing? I obviously won't take a couple of weeks to make up my mind... I just hope something good comes up in clearing...

well yeah hence why not every course goes into clearing. They have quotas for each course. Hence why some unis oversubscribe and end up with accomodation problems. It might be a good idea to go and check them out seeing as you have a couple of days advantage, alternatively you can ask on here - what/where're you thinking of?
Reply 24
arisk01
well yeah hence why not every course goes into clearing. They have quotas for each course. Hence why some unis oversubscribe and end up with accomodation problems. It might be a good idea to go and check them out seeing as you have a couple of days advantage, alternatively you can ask on here - what/where're you thinking of?

I'm planning on doing chemical engineering: Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester, Surrey... I might have to take a foundation year, don't know...
Reply 25
free_one

Just to give you an idea of what does and does not end up in clearing, this is what happened with economics related courses in 2007. The pattern is pretty clear:
i)All the unis rated below BBB went into clearing.
ii)The only BBB uni not in clearing was Edinburgh.
iii)The only ABB unis not in clearing were Manchester,Cardiff, Loughborough and Sussex.
iv)The only AAB unis in clearing were York and Southampton
v)None of the AAA unis were in clearing
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=643629
Reply 26
Paulwhy
Just to give you an idea of what does and does not end up in clearing, this is what happened with economics related courses in 2007. The pattern is pretty clear:
i)All the unis rated below BBB went into clearing.
ii)The only BBB uni not in clearing was Edinburgh.
iii)The only ABB unis not in clearing were Manchester,Cardiff, Loughborough and Sussex.
iv)The only AAB unis in clearing were York and Southampton
v)None of the AAA unis were in clearing
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=643629

Thanks, I checked the Chemical engineering list in clearing last year and it had birmingham, surrey, nottingham, loughborough and sheffield... Bearing in mind (depending on my results) I could be asked to do a foundation year, do these usually have places in clearing?
free_one
I'm planning on doing chemical engineering: Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester, Surrey... I might have to take a foundation year, don't know...

i dont know the likelihood of you getting into any of those, but i doubt it
Reply 28
what makes you say that? They were in clearing last year (stupid reason to suggest they're in this year, I know)...
There's also Sheffield, leeds and loughborough on my list, I know it's a long list but I've done my research
free_one
what makes you say that? They were in clearing last year (stupid reason to suggest they're in this year, I know)...
There's also Sheffield, leeds and loughborough on my list, I know it's a long list but I've done my research

Well what grades are you getting? Just because something is in clearing it doesnt mean they're going to take anyone you know :p:

You definitely need to narrow down that list to at least 3
Reply 30
arisk01
Well what grades are you getting? Just because something is in clearing it doesnt mean they're going to take anyone you know :p:

You definitely need to narrow down that list to at least 3

I'm hoping for a B in Chemistry and Biology, don't know about maths, though. I'm actually considering a foundation year, would actually help - so I'd probably prefer doing that. And I know I'd meet the requirements for the foundation years (I don't know about manchester, though - they don't state any requirements).
If worst comes to worst I'll have to reapply next year :frown: Which I really don't want to do :no:
free_one
Tbh I can't exactly predict what grades I'm gonna get (stupid, I know.). I'm actually considering a foundation year, would actually help - so I'd probably prefer doing that. And I know I'd meet the requirements for the foundation years (I don't know about manchester, though - they don't state any requirements).
If worst comes to worst I'll have to reapply next year :frown: Which I really don't want to do :no:

well surely you know what your teachers said and your AS results. Keep in mind that foundation years aren't for people with bad grades but rather someone who hasnt had experience for a while, like mature students. You'll get a place in clearing I'm sure though :smile:

EDIT: You changed your post!!!! um yeah B is good, so I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:
Reply 32
arisk01
well surely you know what your teachers said and your AS results. Keep in mind that foundation years aren't for people with bad grades but rather someone who hasnt had experience for a while, like mature students. You'll get a place in clearing I'm sure though :smile:

haha. I just edited it and said what grades Im expecting (before I read your reply). Actually, while I was looking into a couple of these unis, they mentioned that someone who doesn't meet the requirements for direct entry could do the foundation year.
free_one
haha. I just edited it and said what grades Im expecting (before I read your reply). Actually, while I was looking into a couple of these unis, they mentioned that someone who doesn't meet the requirements for direct entry could do the foundation year.

oh ok, well thats good then :smile:. As i said im sure you'll get a place through clearing. Did you look at what courses were available at uni thgrough UCAS Extra?
Reply 34
arisk01
oh ok, well thats good then :smile:. As i said im sure you'll get a place through clearing. Did you look at what courses were available at uni thgrough UCAS Extra?

Yeah I checked, and it was encouraging (even though places in extra don't always mean places in clearing - I'm staying positive!)
free_one
Yeah I checked, and it was encouraging (even though places in extra don't always mean places in clearing - I'm staying positive!)

excellent, and you know the clearing process?
Reply 36
arisk01
excellent, and you know the clearing process?

Yep, I've done my research.. still a tad nervous though!! :s-smilie:
Haven't received my clearing passport since I only got released by my firm and insurance last week - but I'm confident that it'll arrive in time.
free_one
Yep, I've done my research.. still a tad nervous though!! :s-smilie:
Haven't received my clearing passport since I only got released by my firm and insurance last week - but I'm confident that it'll arrive in time.

OK, well any questions, just pm or whatever

good luck with thursday, be thinking of you all! :eek:
Reply 38
arisk01
OK, well any questions, just pm or whatever

good luck with thursday, be thinking of you all! :eek:

Thanks for the help! :biggrin:
Reply 39
Hi,

so i've phoned up the Admissions at Birmingham University,today and she picked up :smile:

and i told her about wanting to be released from there altogether and said that UCAS track will update itself on Thursday and my clearing ID will appear on the site as well,
As for my clearing passport it will posted to me in the post.
Meanhwile, i can still phone up the other Unis i'm interested in, right? eventhough i still don't have a UCAS clearing ID
And discuss the courses i want to study...

Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending