The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher English, HELP!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
beccadimambro
The SQA marking for AH English this year must have been God awful. Mine got remarked and now it's an A. How incompetent at your job do you need to be to mistake an A for a C? Like, a grade out maybe, but not passing 4 grade boundaries. That's just dumb.

How exactly did you go about getting the remark to be done? Was it just the dissertation that they remarked?
Now that you've explained your own situation, which frankly I find horrifying, I'd be interested to find out from my own school to see if my dissertation could be remarked as well! It's not a case of arrogance about my work, but simply that if this kind of huge disaster took place once, what's to say it hasn't happened more than once?
It's really unsettling! I do find it very strange that an entire class of Higher Grade A students can do so poorly at Advanced Higher. It just doesn't make any sense does it?
Hopefully my friend will hear back soon about the remarking of her dissertation, but the wonder of whether mine was incorrectly/harshly marked is upsetting me a lot! :frown:
Reply 41
sarahleslie1
To jump on the bandwagon of questions, I am now thinking of doing one of the following:

(suggestion from SQA)
A critical appraisal of Angela Carter’s use of traditional myths and fairy tales to explore female sexuality in her novel The Magic Toyshop and in four of her short stories The Bloody Chamber, The Courtship of Mr Lyon, The Lady of the House of Love and The Snow Child

(own)
An individual battling/ at odds with the values of the society in which they live - The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark

The ‘anti-hero’ in 20th century literature The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

An examination of the differences in the portrayal of a character’s descent into madness in The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger (and 1 other? looking on internet, possible The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chboskv, or Disconnected by Sherry Ashworth)

Different perceptions of female sexuality in Vladimir Nabokov’s Lolita, Muriel Spark’s The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, and Angela Carter’s {The Magic Toyshop/ The Bloody Chamber/ The Courtship of Mr Lyon/ The Lady of the House of Love}

Probably 2 or 3; any comments or suggestions please? :biggrin:

Not really much help from me, but just want to say that I did Lolita and Catcher for my dissertation and I'm just glad someone else is doing/considering these texts too - I thought I was the only one ever to do them!

Your ideas sound quite good, I particularly like the third one, even though I've only read Lolita! - I think you could a quite interesting study on that topic, though.
Reply 42
DJKL
Note, it is John Donne.

Oops, thanks for pointing out my typo!
Meteorshower
You have to be about the unluckiest candidate ever Beccadimambro :s-smilie:

Very glad it's sorted now though!

Haha, perhaps, but I'm never dealing with the SQA ever again! I hope you decided to apply to Cambridge this year?
Envy Eyes
How exactly did you go about getting the remark to be done? Was it just the dissertation that they remarked?
Now that you've explained your own situation, which frankly I find horrifying, I'd be interested to find out from my own school to see if my dissertation could be remarked as well! It's not a case of arrogance about my work, but simply that if this kind of huge disaster took place once, what's to say it hasn't happened more than once?
It's really unsettling! I do find it very strange that an entire class of Higher Grade A students can do so poorly at Advanced Higher. It just doesn't make any sense does it?
Hopefully my friend will hear back soon about the remarking of her dissertation, but the wonder of whether mine was incorrectly/harshly marked is upsetting me a lot! :frown:

I applied for an emergency appeal, which you can get if you can prove you need it (Cambridge demanded my grades be finalised by August 31st). I don't know exactly what was done, because I was on holiday at the time and had to suffice with summaries from my Mum of what was happening, but basically everything I'd ever done in the past year was sent away - other folio pieces, the ones I'd sent in, my dissertation and various drafts, just random pieces - and all of these with a cover note asking for a basic appeal, but also urging a remark to be done.
That was sent away on the 21st of August, which would be last Thursday, meaning they'd have received it on the Friday morning. The SQA contacted the school with the result of my appeal on Monday afternoon, but when we called Cambridge to tell them everything had been rectified, they said they know; the appeal had been put through at 7.40pm on the Friday night!

So all I know is urgent appeals are veryvery quick. I'm assuming it was just a remark, because you can't skip 4 grade boundaries with an appeal, can you? I don't know if this actually answered any of your questions!
beccadimambro
Haha, perhaps, but I'm never dealing with the SQA ever again! I hope you decided to apply to Cambridge this year?

Yep :smile:
omg advanced english is a munter. i'm hatin it right now, this morning my teacher was like, "so everyone almost at the writing stage of the dissertation?" and EVERYONE nodded n i just sat there n **** myself. i'm doin the creastive writing but my teachers bein an ******* about it, anything i give to him he says its amazin but asks me to change basically every part of the plot which is so annoying.
thats my rant over with then. i wouldn't recommend ever takin adv english cz ule be sick.

also - i'm doin english at uni and i think i may have made a mistake if its anythign like adv english

oh and for dissertation i'm doin the holocaust with everything is illuminated - safran foer and time's arrow - martin amis. mental
Reply 47
okay, i wanted to do my dissertation on how Shakespeare's villains run parallel to to way they all act, using Richard from Richard III, Edmund from King Lear and Claudius from Hamlet. Yet, we're studying Antony & Cleopatra and Othello in class and my teacher's said I'm not able to cross the two parts of the course with the one writer.

first of all, am I mad?

second of all, is there anyway I can get round this? I was really looking forward to it:frown:
Reply 48
Original post by hitherehwsu

Original post by hitherehwsu
omg advanced english is a munter. i'm hatin it right now, this morning my teacher was like, "so everyone almost at the writing stage of the dissertation?" and EVERYONE nodded n i just sat there n **** myself. i'm doin the creastive writing but my teachers bein an ******* about it, anything i give to him he says its amazin but asks me to change basically every part of the plot which is so annoying.
thats my rant over with then. i wouldn't recommend ever takin adv english cz ule be sick.

also - i'm doin english at uni and i think i may have made a mistake if its anythign like adv english

oh and for dissertation i'm doin the holocaust with everything is illuminated - safran foer and time's arrow - martin amis. mental

considering your teacher is the one who basically passes the exam for you, I'd guess he knows best and English at Adv. Higher is done at uni 3 times in 12 weeks...good luck to you...
Reply 49
Original post by beccadimambro
I applied for an emergency appeal, which you can get if you can prove you need it (Cambridge demanded my grades be finalised by August 31st). I don't know exactly what was done, because I was on holiday at the time and had to suffice with summaries from my Mum of what was happening, but basically everything I'd ever done in the past year was sent away - other folio pieces, the ones I'd sent in, my dissertation and various drafts, just random pieces - and all of these with a cover note asking for a basic appeal, but also urging a remark to be done.
That was sent away on the 21st of August, which would be last Thursday, meaning they'd have received it on the Friday morning. The SQA contacted the school with the result of my appeal on Monday afternoon, but when we called Cambridge to tell them everything had been rectified, they said they know; the appeal had been put through at 7.40pm on the Friday night!

So all I know is urgent appeals are veryvery quick. I'm assuming it was just a remark, because you can't skip 4 grade boundaries with an appeal, can you? I don't know if this actually answered any of your questions!

yes, you can, it happened three times in the last 4 years in my school, you can actually pull up a law suit against them for false interpretation and information
Original post by meefg
considering your teacher is the one who basically passes the exam for you, I'd guess he knows best and English at Adv. Higher is done at uni 3 times in 12 weeks...good luck to you...

well i'm afraid this is wrong. I have just finished my first year of English at uni going into 2nd year in sept and it is about 10 times easier than what my Adv higher english at my school was like. I passed with flying colours and in fact used part of an essay I had written for Adv higher (and failed in), at university I got a high B for it. So makes no sense. all in all, my teacher was absolutely *******s and just shows that he couldn't teach at an Adv level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending