Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

Just curious to know, but what products and methods do you use on your hair? . . . .I keep my hair well moisturised and etc, but I seem to be suffering with a bad dandruff problem and its getting on my wick (nerves), regardless of really scrubbing/washing properly and conditioning it well once a week, followed by a good oiling session.

If you have any methods that could help - much appreciated.

EDIT: I thought I would make this thread official for those with Afro hair as lots of ideas, products are being suggested and its very helpful.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i've never had dandruff so i'm not sure how much i can help you. ...are you black or mixed race?

anyway www.pakcosmetics.com has every product you could ever need...i'm sure they will have something to combat dandruff!
    • 7 followers

(Original post by laur*)
    i've never had dandruff so i'm not sure how much i can help you. ...are you black or mixed race?

anyway www.pakcosmetics.com has every product you could ever need...i'm sure they will have something to combat dandruff!
    I'm black.

I never had this problem before, but lately its like ''salt granules'' when my mum scratches the scalp to get up the dead skin - its gross and also annoying There is like 2-3days I can go with a parting in my hair before the dandruff starts, after that my hair is in a ponytail.

Thanks for the link - I will go have a look now

EDIT: You are a ledge - a website that sells reasonbly priced black hair products - thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    head and shoulders
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    head and shoulders
    It's the best!!
    • 7 followers

(Original post by brokenangel)
    head and shoulders
    Tried that and it don't work too well and I find that it literally strips the ''oils'' from my hair.
    • 7 followers

(Original post by Mos Def)
    Do you guys use coconut products or something? Most of my black friends always smell of a distinct strong coco-nutty smell....
    Yea cocoa butter to keep the skin moisturised

Not a pretty site seeing dry, crusty skin - ewwww. lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Keracare, Keracare and more Keracare.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I need to buy more products, at the moment I use industrial amounts of Pink.
    • 7 followers

(Original post by Bluelight)
    Keracare, Keracare and more Keracare.
    I take it you've used it then and it has done wonders for your hair? . . . .
    • 7 followers

(Original post by kayscout)
    I need to buy more products, at the moment I use industrial amounts of Pink.
    ARGH Pink hair oil? . . .that oil use to live on my hair as a kid - to the point now where im sick of the scent lol. lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I don't know much about Afro hair, but wouldn't washing it on the 2/3rd day help to combat the dandruff?

Or would that just dry it out more?! Sorry I'm clueless haha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    ARGH Pink hair oil? . . .that oil use to live on my hair as a kid - to the point now where im sick of the scent lol. lol
    Haha same. I do try and experiment with other stuff, but everything else I've tried seems to do nothing for my hair/make it worse.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i got the same problem , im brasilian and i got the " afro " hair - when i let it grow it gets real bad , but at the mo im just keeping it short it sorts it out for a while
    • 7 followers

(Original post by Saraaaa!)
    Sorry I don't know much about Afro hair, but wouldn't washing it on the 2/3rd day help to combat the dandruff?

Or would that just dry it out more?! Sorry I'm clueless haha
    That would just wash out all the ''oils''.

Washing hair everyday from experience for afro hair is the perfect remedy to damage the hair and start breakage of hair. . . .

Thanks for the idea, but i'll pass on that one lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I use whatever shampoo/conditioner is on offer, and Pink or Coconut Oil if it's terribly dry or I'm attempting to straighten it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mos Def)
    Do you guys use coconut products or something? Most of my black friends always smell of a distinct strong coco-nutty smell....
    lol cocoa butter
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    I'm black.

I never had this problem before, but lately its like ''salt granules'' when my mum scratches the scalp to get up the dead skin - its gross and also annoying There is like 2-3days I can go with a parting in my hair before the dandruff starts, after that my hair is in a ponytail.

Thanks for the link - I will go have a look now

EDIT: You are a ledge - a website that sells reasonbly priced black hair products - thanks
    haha no probs...i only discovered that website relatively recently, it has literally EVERYTHING and it's cheap, i love it.

as for keracare...that stuff is good, i used to use it when i had straight hair. nexxus is really good too, though kinda expensive...but it has brought my hair out of a few dodgy stages.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry i dont have the hair, but i thought i just had to post anyway :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    T Gel Neutrogena really works but its quite pricey. BUT it left my hair proper dry. Make sure you have a good conditioner and moisturiser.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2014
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered hair care and hairstyles threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.