The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2360
Original post by + polarity -
Hi again. Could any of you recommend a nice shampoo/conditioner/co-wash to use? Preferably a single product. My scalp is itchy even after I've just rinsed it after washing, I don't get it lol

And it's always so dry! I'm using Blue Magic atm because it's what my dad had, but I think I need something a bit more oil-like... I just hate greasing up headrests and pillows though :sad:

P.S. there's no way I'm using dudu osun

Say no to blue magic!
What is that supposed to mean that you won't use it because I use it?
Your moisturiser should be water based. Your hair shouldn't be greased but mousturised.
Organix products and aussie miracle moist products are really good.
Dudu Osun is a good for clarifying when you have build up.
Original post by Ebuwa
What is that supposed to mean that you won't use it because I use it?

Organix products and aussie miracle moist products are really good.

:tongue:

Thank you very much! I used some Aussie conditioner a couple of years ago, totally forgot about that. Do they have anything I could use as a leave-in?
Ebuwa
Just had a look at CurlyNikki and a couple of other sites. I think I could use Aussie Miracle Moist as a co-wash, then maybe this as a leave-in? Or this, I can't tell the difference. Is that what you meant, Ebuwa? Might throw in a bit of rosemary oil if I'm ever near a Holland & Barrett!

Would I need some sort of cream to use as a sealant after applying the leave-in? Why is this so complicated :indiff:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2363
Just had a look at CurlyNikki and a couple of other sites. I think I could use Aussie Miracle Moist as a co-wash, then maybe this as a leave-in? Or this, I can't tell the difference. Is that what you meant, Ebuwa? Might throw in a bit of rosemary oil if I'm ever near a Holland & Barrett!

Would I need some sort of cream to use as a sealant after applying the leave-in? Why is this so complicated :indiff:

Aussie have leave in sprays. I would say you should try their miracle moist range.
Its roughly shampoo-condition-leave in-cream-oil to seal
I'll take a look at the pics later
Original post by Ebuwa
Aussie have leave in sprays. I would say you should try their miracle moist range.
Its roughly shampoo-condition-leave in-cream-oil to seal
I'll take a look at the pics later

Miracle Moist conditioner and Miracle Hair Insurance Leave-in have been acquired! Do I use the leave-in when my hair is damp or dry (as Zazuwaved(?) suggested)?
Reply 2365
Miracle Moist conditioner and Miracle Hair Insurance Leave-in have been acquired! Do I use the leave-in when my hair is damp or dry (as Zazuwaved(?) suggested)?

Damp so your hair dries with it in
Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Original post by Ebuwa
Damp so your hair dries with it in

Spoiler

Does dudu osun make your skin darker? I have heard a few people online say that it makes you darker. Then again, i have heard the opposite - that it makes your skin lighter...I used to use it for a couple of years when i was a kid and i didn't notice any difference..hmm
Does anyone know what the sulu max gro oil smells like? I have used mtg oil in the past and although it worked, it stank!
Original post by Chantelle0591
Hi, I am 21 years old and have very curly, thick, Afro Caribbean hair. I have had my hair trimmed twice before just to neaten the ends (not to get rid of any length).

My problem is that my hair has never really grown past my shoulders. It's seems to grow up and out instead of down!

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my hair to grow longer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hair that grows towards the Sun?
A source,natural source of energy and vitamins:-)
Your hair is genetically growing as God intended.
This does bother many though,I get this so hair straighteners could create the 'down' look desired.
Reply 2370
Original post by shalla13
hi guys ! I would like to get my hair braided or senegalese twist as it would be a first. I live in east london and most hair salons are quoting extortionate prices just fot braids. Does anybody know of good and reasonably priced hairdressers in london ? Thanks ! Oh and i will also be getting my new growth texturised. So i guess i should wait for at least a week between the 2?

hi i do braiding but in burton on trent i only charge 115 and it lasts 4to5 months depending on how you look after it
I woke up a couple of days ago and decided I want to go 100% natural. I've never relaxed my hair before but I tend to keep my hair covered in weaves and twists, then I have my hair out inbetween. But I want to switch it around and have my hair out most of the time, and then use weaves and twists occasionally.
It's so difficult to know where to start as there's so much info online now. A lot of it is confusing though as some of the information is contradictory. I know it's all about taking time to get to know your hair blah blah, and I have just ordered bags loads of stuff online such as head scarfs, serums, conditioners, natural oils etc, but has anyone got any tips for me? I need to have a basic regime but I have no idea where to start. Help! Lol
Reply 2372
Original post by JaiiStarh
I woke up a couple of days ago and decided I want to go 100% natural. I've never relaxed my hair before but I tend to keep my hair covered in weaves and twists, then I have my hair out inbetween. But I want to switch it around and have my hair out most of the time, and then use weaves and twists occasionally.
It's so difficult to know where to start as there's so much info online now. A lot of it is confusing though as some of the information is contradictory. I know it's all about taking time to get to know your hair blah blah, and I have just ordered bags loads of stuff online such as head scarfs, serums, conditioners, natural oils etc, but has anyone got any tips for me? I need to have a basic regime but I have no idea where to start. Help! Lol

Erm a starting point is learning about your hair eg. is it dry, thick blahblah. This will help in tailoring products.
Plus do you have a goal in mind?

My top tips are
-learn to love your hair. The worst thing you could do is compare it to youtubers or others peoples hair-that is the mistake I made earlier on
-be gentle with it! No pulling etc
-sleep with a satin/silk scarf. It helps to reduce friction
-don't spend too much on products lol. Just keep it simple and have essentials
-invest in a good shampoo and conditioner
-moisturise daily. Good moisturises should have water as their first ingredient
-coconut oil is great for cowashing
Reply 2373
Hiya, I'm available to do african hair in Newcastle and surrounding areas if anyone is interested. I mainly do braids and twists. xx
Hey guys,

I know that this has probably been brought up loads of times, but I'm in need of help. I suffer from really bad itchy dry flaky scalp (its REALLY bad). I don't currently have a regimen, I just wash it with head and shoulders and spray with a shea butter spray every now and again. Are there any great products (shampoos, conditioners anything)/ hair care regimens that people can suggest please? Thank you xxx
Original post by *Dreamer*
Hey guys,

I know that this has probably been brought up loads of times, but I'm in need of help. I suffer from really bad itchy dry flaky scalp (its REALLY bad). I don't currently have a regimen, I just wash it with head and shoulders and spray with a shea butter spray every now and again. Are there any great products (shampoos, conditioners anything)/ hair care regimens that people can suggest please? Thank you xxx

You could try ;tea tree oil, peppermint shampoos, ACV rinse etc.
It all depends on your hair type, condition, finding 'great' products is all down to trail and error.
I try to use as many natural products as possible and to avoid hair products which are full of chemicals.

I regularly use:
Raw shea butter
Jamaican black castoroil
Organic avocado oil
Raw Virgin Coconut oil

I have dandruff and to treat this I use tea tree oil in my pre shampoo deep conditioning mix.

And to wash my hair , I use Organix products but they recently changed their formula so I might just have to change now.
I try to use as many natural products as possible and to avoid hair products which are full of chemicals.

I regularly use:
Raw shea butter
Jamaican black castoroil
Organic avocado oil
Raw Virgin Coconut oil

I have dandruff and to treat this I use tea tree oil in my pre shampoo deep conditioning mix.

And to wash my hair , I use Organix products but they recently changed their formula so I might just have to change now.

Thanks so much for your reply... Those products that you mentioned, do you use them more for cleaning the hair or conditioning? What do you include in your mix, and what shampoo do you use? Sorry for the trillion questions xx
Original post by *Dreamer*
Thanks so much for your reply... Those products that you mentioned, do you use them more for cleaning the hair or conditioning? What do you include in your mix, and what shampoo do you use? Sorry for the trillion questions xx

Hey!
No problem. That's what we're all here for. :smile:

I use them mostly for conditioning and locking in moisture.

Ok so a hot deep treating conditioner should always be done before washing the hair because after you wash your hair, your follicles will have absorbed a lot of water and therefore will not be able to absorb any of the oils from the treatment. And also the chemicals and silicones in your conditioner and shampoo will coat the hair and make it difficult for any oils to truly penetrate the hair. Which is why often when people do deep conditioning treatments after washing their hair , it's soft for a while then quickly becomes dry that's because the oils were just sitting on the shaft as opposed to penetrating it.

So here's what I do.

So. Every week , BEFORE washing or co washing my hair , I make a mix of coconut oil, avocado oil and shea butter , a few drops of jbco and drops of tea tree oil.
I massage that onto my scalp and hair . Put a cap on then sit under the heater for just over 30 minutes.

I then use my Organix Shea Butter Shampoo (sometimes I use the coconut milk one too) to wash it all out. Then follow up with my Organix Shea Butter conditioner.
Leave that in for 5 minuted then rinse.

Normal conditioners are not made to stay on your hair for top long. So don't use them as deep conditioners because they will probably do more damage than good.

Then I towel dry my hair very lightly and apply Jamaican black castor oil on all my hair and a little coconut oil and make sure that my ends are coated too. I then style as usual.

Every 2 -3 weeks though , I do a light protein treatment with hair mayonnaise or the apogee reconstructor.

And voilà :smile:

Xx
Hey!
No problem. That's what we're all here for. :smile:

I use them mostly for conditioning and locking in moisture.

Ok so a hot deep treating conditioner should always be done before washing the hair because after you wash your hair, your follicles will have absorbed a lot of water and therefore will not be able to absorb any of the oils from the treatment. And also the chemicals and silicones in your conditioner and shampoo will coat the hair and make it difficult for any oils to truly penetrate the hair. Which is why often when people do deep conditioning treatments after washing their hair , it's soft for a while then quickly becomes dry that's because the oils were just sitting on the shaft as opposed to penetrating it.

So here's what I do.

So. Every week , BEFORE washing or co washing my hair , I make a mix of coconut oil, avocado oil and shea butter , a few drops of jbco and drops of tea tree oil.
I massage that onto my scalp and hair . Put a cap on then sit under the heater for just over 30 minutes.

I then use my Organix Shea Butter Shampoo (sometimes I use the coconut milk one too) to wash it all out. Then follow up with my Organix Shea Butter conditioner.
Leave that in for 5 minuted then rinse.

Normal conditioners are not made to stay on your hair for top long. So don't use them as deep conditioners because they will probably do more damage than good.

Then I towel dry my hair very lightly and apply Jamaican black castor oil on all my hair and a little coconut oil and make sure that my ends are coated too. I then style as usual.

Every 2 -3 weeks though , I do a light protein treatment with hair mayonnaise or the apogee reconstructor.

And voilà :smile:

Xx

Ahh thank you so much for that <3

Do you think a similar treatment/regimen can be done if your hair is in braids? Mine are braided most of the time (for convenience) xx

Quick Reply

Latest