The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
DancinBallerina
I saw something else to this on another website and im quite amazed, but quite dubious as to whether it actually works!

Have you used such products that make your length grow, like loads? . . . .

yeah, my hairs had a lot of growth ... i think around january, it was like ear length, i couldnt even tie it in a ponytail! now i've been looking after it, it's going past shoulder length, with lots of new growth.

it's not about the products you use so much tho, it more about really 'babying' your hair, treating it gently etc. id say you should definitely try out some of the tips if you want more growth :biggrin:
Reply 41
To all these people who say they wash their hair daily...is your hair natural or relaxed? And out of interest how many years have you been doing this for?
GoodasGyal
To all these people who say they wash their hair daily...is your hair natural or relaxed? And out of interest how many years have you been doing this for?

I don't wash my hair everyday, I wash it once a week. My hair is relaxed, but I have been thinking about no longer relaxing and it and just going natural, but making sure I look after it well - to prevent breakage.

Have you got relaxed hair then?
Reply 43
Bluelight
Keracare, Keracare and more Keracare.

I agree Keracare is AMAZING!
Reply 44
GoodasGyal

it's natural, and i've been washing it every morning for just over 3 years. before that i had it relaxed and didn't wash it anywhere near as much. and before thaaaat i had it natural, and washed it about once a week, but it wasn't really in very good condition, it didn't really break or have any issues, but it didn't look particularly healthy either.
Reply 45
DancinBallerina
I don't wash my hair everyday, I wash it once a week. My hair is relaxed, but I have been thinking about no longer relaxing and it and just going natural, but making sure I look after it well - to prevent breakage.

Oooh be careful with converting back to natural hair...so much damage can be caused! Yeah my hair is relaxed has been for the past 4 years and still very long thank god! I used to wash my hair once a week but recently i've increased it to every 5 days.
GoodasGyal
Oooh be careful with converting back to natural hair...so much damage can be caused! Yeah my hair is relaxed has been for the past 4 years and still very long thank god! I used to wash my hair once a week but recently i've increased it to every 5 days.

Yea i know, its why im iffing and butting about going natural :s-smilie: - my mum has said not to do it and its has taken me a while as it is to get my hair in a reasonable state (minus my itchy/dandruff problem which I think I have mastered - I didnt apply any so called hair oil that contains that petrolatum crap) - I used green oil and so far *touch wood* I havent had no problems :biggrin:
Reply 47
DancinBallerina

Let me know if you need any help or advice re the au naturel thing. I have helped several of my friends through it
Rokit
Let me know if you need any help or advice re the au naturel thing. I have helped several of my friends through it

Ooo really? what have your friends found? has their hair started to break, have they had lots of growth, what products have they been using? . .

Sowee for all the questions, just want to research lots before I decide to do it or not.
Reply 49
DancinBallerina
Ooo really? what have your friends found? has their hair started to break, have they had lots of growth, what products have they been using? . .

Sowee for all the questions, just want to research lots before I decide to do it or not.

Started typing a huge response but I will send you a PM instead as there is loads of info
DancinBallerina
Yea i know, its why im iffing and butting about going natural :s-smilie: - my mum has said not to do it and its has taken me a while as it is to get my hair in a reasonable state (minus my itchy/dandruff problem which I think I have mastered - I didnt apply any so called hair oil that contains that petrolatum crap) - I used green oil and so far *touch wood* I havent had no problems :biggrin:

Make sure you're serious about converting to natural. I have natural hair and I would definitely say it's a hassle. IMO, it is more difficult to manage; even when you straighten it, humidity strikes. Your hair will grow, regardless of whether it is relaxed or natural; the reaosn why people think afro hair doesn't grow, is due to the fact it is fragile. It breaks before you see growth, so try wearing protective hairstyles i.e. braids, buns, as well as keeping it moisturised and you should see growth :smile:
Indigo_Water
Make sure you're serious about converting to natural. I have natural hair and I would definitely say it's a hassle. IMO, it is more difficult to manage; even when you straighten it, humidity strikes. Your hair will grow, regardless of whether it is relaxed or natural; the reaosn why people think afro hair doesn't grow, is due to the fact it is fragile. It breaks before you see growth, so try wearing protective hairstyles i.e. braids, buns, as well as keeping it moisturised and you should see growth :smile:

Well I just want to stop relaxing or increase stretching time in between - Im currently relaxing every 6weeks. I treat/steam my own hair because my hairdressers costs too much and I dont think what they are charging is worth it - all they do is scratch the scalp, put hair mayonnaise on it and shove me under the steamer for 20mins, take me out, wash and style.

Im currently in the process of changing all my hair products as the current one's I have, all have that petrolatum rubbish which actually apparently clogs the hair follicles and it makes sense why im suffering so badly with the dandruff and why my hair won't grow.
I have decided to try the Organic Africas Best and Organic Roots Stimulator products and so far, a product which I found in the hair stash has been alright and a green oil my mum applies to my scalp - both have been good.

As for the braids - am afraid after watching Jamelia on her travels as to where false hair comes from, that option is off my list, the buns - I have my hair in a bun now and then due to dancing (Ballet), but not often - I usually have it up if I have my dandruff problem or I have it down when my hair is nice and clean.

What products are you using? . . .
I wanted to go natural but as someone said, it is a tough thing to do and my hair is like rock, but what i've done is found a compromise. I only relax my hair either once in 3 months or once in 6 months (i didn't use to do it that often anyways) and just use different products, so I don't cause too much damage. I use very few products and my hair is fine and has never been better.
Rokit

I think you should post it in this thread if you don't mind. I want to use this as a reference thread for people.
La Trampa
I wanted to go natural but as someone said, it is a tough thing to do and my hair is like rock, but what i've done is found a compromise. I only relax my hair either once in 3 months or once in 6 months (i didn't use to do it that often anyways) and just use different products, so I don't cause too much damage. I use very few products and my hair is fine and has never been better.

Well I don't want to go natural natural as such, just stretch the amount of time I relax and just look after it really well in the 'stretching' time.

I also want to improve my growth as my hair has kinda stopped just above my shoulders and it won't go any further than that.

I hope you don't mind, but I have turned this thread into an official thread for those with afro hair. It'll be a good reference place to discuss hair products and etc - thought it would be a good idea.
Reply 55
Indigo_Water

It is no different for natural afro hair as it is to white hair. Constantly manipulating any hair type especially with pulling/yanking does not help the growth process at all. Afro hair is dry and using dryers/heat straighteners on it without proper protection is just going to cause it to snap and break. The number of my friends black and white who have thinning patches on their crowns due to overuse of GHD's is rather scary
Not a problem DancinBallerina, it's what I wanted to do.
Reply 57
DancinBallerina
Well I just want to stop relaxing or increase stretching time in between - Im currently relaxing every 6weeks. I treat/steam my own hair because my hairdressers costs too much and I dont think what they are charging is worth it - all they do is scratch the scalp, put hair mayonnaise on it and shove me under the steamer for 20mins, take me out, wash and style.

Im currently in the process of changing all my hair products as the current one's I have, all have that petrolatum rubbish which actually apparently clogs the hair follicles and it makes sense why im suffering so badly with the dandruff and why my hair won't grow.
I have decided to try the Organic Africas Best and Organic Roots Stimulator products and so far, a product which I found in the hair stash has been alright and a green oil my mum applies to my scalp - both have been good.

As for the braids - am afraid after watching Jamelia on her travels as to where false hair comes from, that option is off my list, the buns - I have my hair in a bun now and then due to dancing (Ballet), but not often - I usually have it up if I have my dandruff problem or I have it down when my hair is nice and clean.

What products are you using? . . .

You honestly cannot go wrong with natural hair care products. They are great.

As much as I love braids/twists with or without extensions, you have to be careful to find a hairdresser who is not going to yank and pull at your hair as it puts pressure on your hairline
Reply 58
DancinBallerina
Well I don't want to go natural natural as such, just stretch the amount of time I relax and just look after it really well in the 'stretching' time.

I am going to be blunt. You either have to ensure you retouch any new growth or you dont use relaxers at all. If you leave your hair for that amount of time it is going to break pretty badly because you will be trying to do the same thing to processed and unprocessed hair

If you are unsure of what you want to do with your hair for the meantime and debating whether or not to stay relaxed or go natural then I suggested you put your hair in micro braids/twists
Rokit
You honestly cannot go wrong with natural hair care products. They are great.

As much as I love braids/twists with or without extensions, you have to be careful to find a hairdresser who is not going to yank and pull at your hair as it puts pressure on your hairline

Ooo yea - the organic range I reckon is lovely - sooo natural and they aren't filled with rubbish. I was reading another website last night about deep conditioning/treatment - and it as advised to treat severely damaged hair - use 1 egg as well as the organics hair mayonnaise :s-smilie: lol!! sounds bonkers, but the egg has protein in it and it as advised to leave on the hair for 1-2hrs to give the hair a good treatment.

Yea I was thinking of giving my hair a break and getting it canerow, but I changed my mind because last time I had it done - the front of my hair started to become very sore and weak, because the hair was pulled too tight - often giving me a headache too.

Rokit
I am going to be blunt. You either have to ensure you retouch any new growth or you dont use relaxers at all. If you leave your hair for that amount of time it is going to break pretty badly because you will be trying to do the same thing to processed and unprocessed hair

If you are unsure of what you want to do with your hair for the meantime and debating whether or not to stay relaxed or go natural then I suggested you put your hair in micro braids/twists

Oh yea, I wasn't going to completely leave it, because I know breakage will start - but I meant like look after it well and when regrowth starts to appear then get it retouched like im doing at the moment.
I just don't know if every 6weeks is too much to be relaxing my hair so often! . . . . :s-smilie: Maybe the time im leaving 6weeks - is alright - i think its the looking after in between is my problem. :s-smilie: . . . .just need a good routine to stick to.

Ooooo I hate hair lol, sooo many products, advice and techniques to follow lol :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest