The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1720
Original post by T-Toe
I'm serious about growing my hair waste length. After relentless research I've come up with a hair regime. I'm excited. I will post pics over the course of next year.

Questions: I don't moisturise and seal with an oil. I just keep it simple and use coconut oil (cold pressed). Is this okay?

Is biotin worth getting? I'm already consuming multi-vitamin tablets.

She's a god-send: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTruthisHair?feature=g-user-u

Hey,
I would firstly stick with just the multi-vitamins, and wait until you have finished those before trying something else, just incase you use both and are not sure which one is helping with hair growth :smile:

And with the coconut oil, that is perfectly fine, i use just coconut oil on my scalp and then place some in my hair and it has worked perfectly fine :smile:

this article also helped me get a better understanding of coconut oil and how it can work: http://blackgirllonghair.com/2011/12/the-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

I hope that is of some help to you :smile:
Reply 1721
Original post by DancinBallerina
How is everyone doing with their hair journeys? . .Still going to plan? Or has it all gone to pot? ..

My hair journey is still going although I think my hair growth has slowed down a bit . . .I got sick end of last year, early this yr, and my hair took a major battering. It's still recovering but is much better. I've had a few trims throughout the year, so still @ BSL (Bra Strap Length). But I am thinking of now styling it in the new year . . .:smile:

I have added a few new products to my regime; Keracare, Ojon and Aphogee, but I use these very sparingly/as and when needed as they are quite expensive. But they work . .

:smile:

Hi DB!
Your hair is still at a great length, and you keep up your regime I am sure it will continue to grow wonderfully!

I found a regime which has worked wonders for my hair and it was past APL, (I was on my way to BSL,) my mother kindly offered to take my to the hairdressers for a trim... I was kind of disappointed when I looked at my hair to see it is now at least 1 1/2 inches away from APL. Plus the hairdresser was a bit scissor happy which i feared :frown:
I asked before if it needed much taken off and the reply was no, so idk :confused:

I hope your hair journey will continue to do well in the new year =D
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1722
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
The good news is, my hair is actually growing long, and I noticed this today when I stretched some hairs at the back and they reach down by my armpit! :smile: Just the first goal length I wanted.

The bad news is, the shrinkage is really bothering me. My natural texture length looks similar to this (picture isn't me):

I'm a bit bothered by it because I don't really feel like my afro looks that great on me tbh (not like hers does anyway, hers is pretty). I try to style it to look like a great afro style, but it just looks weird or messy and I end up always putting it into tied back styles like ponytails and buns. I'm always having to constantly stretch it out in braids and twists, and this takes so much effort and time, and even then it doesn't nearly reach my total stretched length. It'd probably be a very long time, if ever, before my shrunken hair ever looks properly long, and I dunno if I can deal with that.

I mean, look at this lady's hair (on the left). Hers is much longer than mine stretched, but the shrinkage is immense :afraid:

I'm debating whether to relax it again or not, since I quite miss having straight hair and I much prefer the look of long hair on myself. I only went natural just to try it, and I find it OK but there's all the downsides I've listed. I've tried flat ironing a few times but I'm not very good at it and it also takes a lot of time and effort. So relaxed hair would probably be easier overall. Though, I just wouldn't want to regret it, since going from natural to relaxed is much easier and quicker than going from relaxed back to natural (if you want a decent hair length and not a teeny weeny afro).

I'm probably gonna get a weave installed soon just so I can hide my hair and hold off my decision a little longer. I'll see how things go :beard:

I hope this will help you.
I believe you should keep your natural curls as it is into the new year and after a few months still see if you wish to get it relaxed again, because like you said its not as quick/easier to go from relaxed to natural. :smile:

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 1723
Has anyone here tried the Brazilian keratin treatment? I have really thick, bushy Arab hair and it takes me roughly 45 minutes straightening it. :hmpf:
Anyone tried castor oil? Is it any good?
Original post by totbl
Has anyone here tried the Brazilian keratin treatment? I have really thick, bushy Arab hair and it takes me roughly 45 minutes straightening it. :hmpf:

I haven't tried it but go on Youtube and search for it...there are people who have tried it...
Original post by T-Toe
Has the MSM helped?

I didn't buy it in the end :colondollar: The bit about the rapid growth in body hair overall kind of freaked me out lol. My hair is coming along nicely on its own anyway.

Original post by Beige_Angel
Did you wrap your hair and leave it in for at least 3 hours a time? I usually completely soak my hair with it, sleep with my head tightly wrapped in a plastic bag and then rinse in the morning; I find it has a much greater effect than just washing it out after and hour or so cause it has more time for your hair to 'absorb all the goodness' :tongue:

I don't think I left it for that long to be honest,but thankyou,now I know what to do for future reference. My Mum recently went to a 'Natural Hair Celebration' in Nottingham and she came back with LOTS of freebies,so I am going to be testing out a load of products once I take these braids out to see what works best with my hair :smile:
Original post by Dee Leigh
Anyone tried castor oil? Is it any good?

Good for thickening hair strands and suppleness and strength when I use it to seem.

Also a good for the scalp and cleanser for the face and keeps the skin there supple too.
I loves me some castor oil!
Original post by mackshie
Good for thickening hair strands and suppleness and strength when I use it to seem.

Also a good for the scalp and cleanser for the face and keeps the skin there supple too.
I loves me some castor oil!

Oh ok :smile: I read that it is also good for eyelashes and eyebrows as well

Will it help with hair growth?
Oh ok :smile: I read that it is also good for eyelashes and eyebrows as well

Will it help with hair growth?

Yeah, with retention, in terms of the condition it can help to keep the hair in.
With thickness, mos' def.
Original post by mackshie
Yeah, with retention, in terms of the condition it can help to keep the hair in.
With thickness, mos' def.

Cool. :smile:

I'm glad I bought it.

How long until I see results? I'm trying to grow my hair, but I don't expect quick results overnight...
(edited 12 years ago)
Cool. :smile:

I'm glad I bought it.

How long until I see results? I'm trying to grow my hair, but I don't expect quick results overnight...

Give it 1-2 months, dependent on your use.
Then check in on it again at the 3 and 6 month mark

I like to use it for steaming, mixing with conditioner for a co wash, or for rinsing or sealing with after washing my hair. I think steam's the best because of the oil's thickness.
Hi, has anyone here used interlocking weave before as I've heard that it doesn't damage the hair as sewing or glue does?
Reply 1733
Can anyone recommend an afro hair salon in the North West region?
Similar to the above, can some recommend a good (but affordable hair salon) in either North West London or the North West region (Merseyside)!
really feeling to try crochet braids, just need the time to put them in.
I dont put any heat on my hair!
Reply 1737
Original post by w04andia
really feeling to try crochet braids, just need the time to put them in.

LOVE LOVE LOVE crochet braids. did them for the first time a while back....they're my new fav protective style.
Original post by AdeF6
LOVE LOVE LOVE crochet braids. did them for the first time a while back....they're my new fav protective style.

yeah i put them in! Loads of people think it's my real hair..i hate when they ask me if it is or isnt LOL
Original post by w04andia
yeah i put them in! Loads of people think it's my real hair..i hate when they ask me if it is or isnt LOL

Hi, I just googled this and would really like to try crochet braids so would you mind answering a couple of my questions please :colondollar:

How long does it last before it has to be taken out? Do you know anyone who does it really well in London and about how much would it cost? Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest