The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asha5692
Lots of moisture and keeping your ends up. Keeping it detangled but not over-combing. Are you natural?

These may help you, maybe you've made some of the same mistakes that I have. Learn from mine!

Thanks! :biggrin: Always good to see tips every now and again.

And I am sooo jealous of you - I really want my hair like yours! That's my aim.

My hair is natural by the way.
Reply 1781
Original post by Tel8
It was in response to your post. I had assumed you were looking for a solution to both going natural and relaxing- I apologize if I misunderstood you.

ohh no i wasnt. i was just moaning about relaxing my hair! but i think i'll go through with it this weekend. i cant deal with my new growth anymore, its driving me nutss. my hair is a total mess atm :s kudos to you for transitioning though, dealing with 2 hair textures is no jokee.
Reply 1782
Original post by RexyB
Awww... You're welcome. Here's an idea with the whole scarf staying on problem. What I do is wrap my pillow in a satin scarf. Ta da! Cheap satin pillowcase. I'm embarrassed even writing this :P

omg i did this yesterday morning! i was having a massive headache cos my scarf was on too tight, so i just took it off and wrapped it around my pillow! its genius! lol i dont know why i didnt think about it sooner.
Original post by Dee Leigh
Thanks! :biggrin: Always good to see tips every now and again.

And I am sooo jealous of you - I really want my hair like yours! That's my aim.

My hair is natural by the way.

I'm glad I could help. What's your regimen like now? Maybe you should look at my detangling routine, detangling is when we lose the most hair.
Original post by AYO
what's what called? :s if you mean the hair supply store, its global hair and beauty

That's what I meant, thanks.

Random question but does anyone know where I can get pink hair extensions? Hear me out. I saw a girl in the street today and she'd mixed very light brown hair with pink/blonde hair in her braids and it looked really cool. So cool that I'm crazy enough to think I can pull it off too. I was thinking of doing braids for the summer and I quite liked the look of it. Would be a nice change having coloured hair for once!
Reply 1785
Original post by La Trampa

Random question but does anyone know where I can get pink hair extensions? Hear me out. I saw a girl in the street today and she'd mixed very light brown hair with pink/blonde hair in her braids and it looked really cool. So cool that I'm crazy enough to think I can pull it off too. I was thinking of doing braids for the summer and I quite liked the look of it. Would be a nice change having coloured hair for once!

wait, so you asking for where you can find actual pink hair extensions, like clip in ones. or pink hair extensions specifically used for braids? because i believe those are two different things. you'd probably be able to find clip-ins at any hair supply store, im not too sure about the braids one. alternatively, i guess you could dye hair extensions? :confused: i dont really know, just throwing around ideas. if you dont mind me asking, what colour is your own hair?
Original post by AYO
wait, so you asking for where you can find actual pink hair extensions, like clip in ones. or pink hair extensions specifically used for braids? because i believe those are two different things. you'd probably be able to find clip-ins at any hair supply store, im not too sure about the braids one. alternatively, i guess you could dye hair extensions? :confused: i dont really know, just throwing around ideas. if you dont mind me asking, what colour is your own hair?

Yeah I want pink/violet ones for braids. My hair is dark brown. I know it sounds really odd but I saw a girl, a black girl (I dislike describing people like that) with similar colouring to me, and she had cotton candy pink and light brown braids in her hair and it looked amazing! I've always wanted to do something different with my hair and get it pink but dislike the thought of bleaching my hair. But now I've seen it, I know it's possible to get it done.

Do they make blonde extensions I wonder? That way, I could always dye it pink myself. I wonder if it'd take to the dye though seeing as hair extensions are synthetic. Hmm...:hmmmm:
Reply 1787
Yeah I want pink/violet ones for braids. My hair is dark brown. I know it sounds really odd but I saw a girl, a black girl (I dislike describing people like that) with similar colouring to me, and she had cotton candy pink and light brown braids in her hair and it looked amazing! I've always wanted to do something different with my hair and get it pink but dislike the thought of bleaching my hair. But now I've seen it, I know it's possible to get it done.

Do they make blonde extensions I wonder? That way, I could always dye it pink myself. I wonder if it'd take to the dye though seeing as hair extensions are synthetic. Hmm...:hmmmm:

ahh i see. yeah, you're quite right, i dont think you'd be able to dye it, but i reckon you'd definitely be able to find coloured hair extensions. the only colours ive seen are like blonde and like caramel coloured ones but yeah you should be able to find pink oness.... where do you buy your usual ones from? maybe you can ask if they have pink ones. i really dunno :confused:

sorry i couldnt be more help
Original post by AYO
ahh i see. yeah, you're quite right, i dont think you'd be able to dye it, but i reckon you'd definitely be able to find coloured hair extensions. the only colours ive seen are like blonde and like caramel coloured ones but yeah you should be able to find pink oness.... where do you buy your usual ones from? maybe you can ask if they have pink ones. i really dunno :confused:

sorry i couldnt be more help

I haven't got any hair extensions in a couple years now, not since before I moved down to London so I sense a search coming on.You've been more than helpful! My question wasn't originally intended for you, I was just throwing it out there. :smile:
Original post by Asha5692
I'm glad I could help. What's your regimen like now? Maybe you should look at my detangling routine, detangling is when we lose the most hair.

Thanks.

I'm really trying in my regimen, but still learning new tips and stuff. But thanks for the advice on detangling...I shall take that on board.
Reply 1790

If she's Black she's Black. Why do you hate describing people like that?
Where in London do you live? So I could point you in the right direction?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ebuwa
If she's Black she's Black. Why do you hate describing people like that?
Where in London do you live? So I could point you in the right direction?

I didn't say I hate it, I said I dislike it. I'd rather just say a girl rather than quantify her as being black/asian i.e. I dislike focussing on skin colour as a way of representing someone.

I live in West London, and I haven't come across any shops here. I'm guessing my best bet would be somewhere in Brixton? But any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1792
I haven't got any hair extensions in a couple years now, not since before I moved down to London so I sense a search coming on.You've been more than helpful! My question wasn't originally intended for you, I was just throwing it out there. :smile:

buyhair.co.UK holds extensions in basically all colours.
Reply 1793
Original post by AYO
ohh no i wasnt. i was just moaning about relaxing my hair! but i think i'll go through with it this weekend. i cant deal with my new growth anymore, its driving me nutss. my hair is a total mess atm :s kudos to you for transitioning though, dealing with 2 hair textures is no jokee.

Lol! It's definitely been difficult. It's my first time transitioning, and I just hate the fact that my hair simply doesn't look decent anymore unless it's pulled back, gelled down within an inch of it's life and put in a bun. :angry: It's really hard but I keep telling myself it's going to be worth it in the end... the only thing is, I don't really think I like my natural texture that much... I mean, it's alright but it's not really that cute. Still, I like that it's so much thicker (like seriously twice as thick as my relaxed ends- I was shocked when it started coming in like that!) and I know that my scalp just can't survive relaxing anymore. And also, I like that I don't get split ends anymore either- I used to have them all the time, it was really bad at one point because of how much I was flat ironing my hair on top of relaxing it. So I guess it's worth it... maybe. Hopefully I'll like it once the straight ends are gone.
Afro hair looks awesome :yep:
Reply 1795
Original post by Tel8
Lol! It's definitely been difficult. It's my first time transitioning, and I just hate the fact that my hair simply doesn't look decent anymore unless it's pulled back, gelled down within an inch of it's life and put in a bun. :angry: It's really hard but I keep telling myself it's going to be worth it in the end... the only thing is, I don't really think I like my natural texture that much... I mean, it's alright but it's not really that cute. Still, I like that it's so much thicker (like seriously twice as thick as my relaxed ends- I was shocked when it started coming in like that!) and I know that my scalp just can't survive relaxing anymore. And also, I like that I don't get split ends anymore either- I used to have them all the time, it was really bad at one point because of how much I was flat ironing my hair on top of relaxing it. So I guess it's worth it... maybe. Hopefully I'll like it once the straight ends are gone.

yeah, i definitely have a new found love for my new growth after stretching for about 15 weeks but the last few days before i relaxed were hell!! i couldnt run my hand through my hair! and i just generally didnt know what to do with it!! lol the hairdresser had a field day trying to get the retouching creme on my hair lol she was so pissed off and kept moaning about how i'd left it for too long before relaxing.

lol as i said before, major props to you for transitioning, i definitely wont be looking into it anytime soon but i envy your thicker hair! i'm still trying to deal with all my split ends, i'll probably have to trim it this weekend because it seems to be getting worse :s

oh the joys of this hair journey :frown:
Reply 1796
Original post by AYO
yeah, i definitely have a new found love for my new growth after stretching for about 15 weeks but the last few days before i relaxed were hell!! i couldnt run my hand through my hair! and i just generally didnt know what to do with it!! lol the hairdresser had a field day trying to get the retouching creme on my hair lol she was so pissed off and kept moaning about how i'd left it for too long before relaxing.

lol as i said before, major props to you for transitioning, i definitely wont be looking into it anytime soon but i envy your thicker hair! i'm still trying to deal with all my split ends, i'll probably have to trim it this weekend because it seems to be getting worse :s

oh the joys of this hair journey :frown:

Lol tell me about it. I tried that today (running my hands through it). I found two bobby pins that I had no idea were there... :rolleyes:
Reply 1797
I didn't say I hate it, I said I dislike it. I'd rather just say a girl rather than quantify her as being black/asian i.e. I dislike focussing on skin colour as a way of representing someone.

I live in West London, and I haven't come across any shops here. I'm guessing my best bet would be somewhere in Brixton? But any help would be appreciated.

Yep.Brixton/tooting and surrounding
Reply 1798
Hi,

I'm new to this thread but I just wanted to have a quick rant, if that's ok. I am transitioning from relaxed to natural and I'm around 5 month's post relaxer and I just got my hair braided. I have very coarse hair, its probably mostly a 4c texture so the hair dresser was finding it fairly difficult to section my hair for each braid. what annoyed me the most was that she was raking through my hair with a fine toothed comb and greasing my scalp with the petrolatum filled blue magic :eek: .

If not for the things I have learnt about hair since starting my hair journey these things wouldn't have bothered me as much but I find it shocking how little hairdressers actually know about hair! Next time i get my hair done I'm going to insist that a wide tooth comb is used and I will bring my own products.

I feel like such a snob, but it has to be done.
Reply 1799
Original post by flosaw9
Hi,

I'm new to this thread but I just wanted to have a quick rant, if that's ok. I am transitioning from relaxed to natural and I'm around 5 month's post relaxer and I just got my hair braided. I have very coarse hair, its probably mostly a 4c texture so the hair dresser was finding it fairly difficult to section my hair for each braid. what annoyed me the most was that she was raking through my hair with a fine toothed comb and greasing my scalp with the petrolatum filled blue magic :eek: .

If not for the things I have learnt about hair since starting my hair journey these things wouldn't have bothered me as much but I find it shocking how little hairdressers actually know about hair! Next time i get my hair done I'm going to insist that a wide tooth comb is used and I will bring my own products.

I feel like such a snob, but it has to be done.

Find a natural hair salon they are more expensive or tell your hairdresser how you want you hair treater , you are paying her. Its not snobby its your hair
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending