The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
I'm looking into getting some Senegalese twists put in to go back to school this year, does anyone have any suggestions about care/maintenance/size? I know the smaller they are the longer they'll last, but I've never had extensions before, so I'm a little nervous about it. Any do's/don'ts would be appreciated!
Original post by Asha5692
Check these out people great protective style without extensions

Your hair is getting long! Keep up the good work.:smile:
Original post by chronic_fatigue
Your hair is getting long! Keep up the good work.:smile:

Thanks so much! It's not without hard work and passion.

This one's about moisture in case you're interested
Thanks so much! It's not without hard work and passion.

This one's about moisture in case you're interested

Aloe vera juice is expensive might try it if it goes on offer so I can try the kimmaytube leave in. I have heard it goes off quite quick too. I usually just spray twists/braids/cornrows with water I focus of the ends then putt some Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal oil on it. The oils in it are all the good stuff no chemicals except the added fragrance.
Where did you get KCKT?
Reply 1904
Original post by Dee Leigh
Hi guys

After a suggestion on this thread, I've been searching for natural shampoos and conditioners on the Holland and Barrett website. Are these shampoos any good? They are supposed to be natural but they've got all sorts of ingredients I am confused about :s-smilie:

Anyone?

hey! i've been thinking of trying out natural shampoos as well and i was considering the holland and barrett ones but i have heard a lot of positive reviews about a brand called organix, all their shampoos are sulphate free, i think those ones might be better because i literally just picked up an aloe vera shampoo from a health store similar to holland and barrett today and it did nothing for my hair. now i use organix conditioners so i'm sure the shampoos will be great. i'd recommend the macadamia oil shampoo. i know boots stocks organix, not sure of anywhere else.
Reply 1905
very very urgent! does anyone know of any hair salons that do good braids in london? or individual or group of people that do braids?? any suggestions would be very helpful.

thankss
Aloe vera juice is expensive might try it if it goes on offer so I can try the kimmaytube leave in. I have heard it goes off quite quick too. I usually just spray twists/braids/cornrows with water I focus of the ends then putt some Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal oil on it. The oils in it are all the good stuff no chemicals except the added fragrance.
Where did you get KCKT?

Make sure there's no mineral oil/paraffinium liquidium/petrolatum/white oil in there. I bought it in Trinidad but you can order it on Amazon.
Hey everyone just need advice on good hair Mousturizers? Im newly natural and cut off all my hair got sick of relaxing. Thanks x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Make sure there's no mineral oil/paraffinium liquidium/petrolatum/white oil in there. I bought it in Trinidad but you can order it on Amazon.

Don't worry it has none of that, I checked before I bought it:smile:.
Don't worry it has none of that, I checked before I bought it:smile:.

That's great then, let me know how it's going. Are you using as a sealant?
Anyone know any places that do weave in Birmingham and well? :smile:
That's great then, let me know how it's going. Are you using as a sealant?

Skin and hot oil treatments usually because I find it a bit too light for my hair. I use it to seal when I do my sister's because she has finer hair. I seal with JBCO and coconut oil :smile:.
Hey guys it's been a while, my hair is just jamming in crochet braids right now :smile:
Original post by LostArtOfMurder
Anyone?

£25 in Surrey Quays :biggrin:
Original post by w04andia
Hey guys it's been a while, my hair is just jamming in crochet braids right now :smile:

Heya i really want to try crochet braids , where did u get yours done? How much did u pay? and what hair did u use? Also compared to having a weave which do u prefer?

Thanks xx
Original post by Tel8
I'm looking into getting some Senegalese twists put in to go back to school this year, does anyone have any suggestions about care/maintenance/size? I know the smaller they are the longer they'll last, but I've never had extensions before, so I'm a little nervous about it. Any do's/don'ts would be appreciated!

I'd go for medium sized twists because if you have them done too small or too big, they can both put too much tension on your actual hair.

If your hair will kind of poke out of the twists (IYSWIM?) then be careful of friction on your hair! I didn't cover my hair at all when it was in extensions and got awful split ends!

I find conditioning my hair regularly made removal much easier as my hair was softer and not as tangled.

HTH a little!
Is it harder for 4c hair to grow long , like past the shoulders long than other hair types cuz i find most people with long natural hair to have looser curls of the other hair types e.g from 3a/b-4a?? Me personally am a 4c and have gone natural for about 3 years now, however my hair is short and difficult to manage so i tend to wear hair extensions alot. This is a big problem for me as i love big/long hair and i want to give the extensions a break and wear my natural hair out so i can take care of it more and besides extensions are expensive... any tips and advice on how to care for my 4c hair so it can grw long, strong and healthy ??
Reply 1918
Original post by lilmissA
Is it harder for 4c hair to grow long , like past the shoulders long than other hair types cuz i find most people with long natural hair to have looser curls of the other hair types e.g from 3a/b-4a?? Me personally am a 4c and have gone natural for about 3 years now, however my hair is short and difficult to manage so i tend to wear hair extensions alot. This is a big problem for me as i love big/long hair and i want to give the extensions a break and wear my natural hair out so i can take care of it more and besides extensions are expensive... any tips and advice on how to care for my 4c hair so it can grw long, strong and healthy ??

All hair grows, it just depends on how you look after it. The reason why many people with 4c hair have shorter hair is because they don't know how to take care of it properly. I have 4c hair and ever since i started taking care of it I have been noticing a lot of growth.

Here are some tips:
-deep condition your hair regularly with a protein deep conditioner to help strengthen it.
- try to find a good sulphate free shampoo (sulphates can be really drying).
-if you have natural/transitioning hair conditioner is your best friend.
- if you have natural hair don't comb it when dry only do it whilst hair is wet and has conditioner in it.
-moisturize and seal regularly- 4c hair can be very dry.
- wrap your hair when going to sleep with a silk or satin scarf or sleep with a silk/satin pillow case- friction between hair and cotton pillow cases can cause split ends.
- read the ingredients before you purchase products- the first ingredients on the list are what the product mainly consists of.
- avoid products that contain mineral oil and petroleum/petrolatum they are just cheap fillers that do nothing for your hair except sit on your scalp and cause build up. (this means throw away the blue magic and pink oil)
-protective styling such as braids, weaves buns can be good for protecting your ends from breaking but don't do them too tight.

I hope this helps a little x
Original post by flosaw9
All hair grows, it just depends on how you look after it. The reason why many people with 4c hair have shorter hair is because they don't know how to take care of it properly. I have 4c hair and ever since i started taking care of it I have been noticing a lot of growth.

Here are some tips:
-deep condition your hair regularly with a protein deep conditioner to help strengthen it.
- try to find a good sulphate free shampoo (sulphates can be really drying).
-if you have natural/transitioning hair conditioner is your best friend.
- if you have natural hair don't comb it when dry only do it whilst hair is wet and has conditioner in it.
-moisturize and seal regularly- 4c hair can be very dry.
- wrap your hair when going to sleep with a silk or satin scarf or sleep with a silk/satin pillow case- friction between hair and cotton pillow cases can cause split ends.
- read the ingredients before you purchase products- the first ingredients on the list are what the product mainly consists of.
- avoid products that contain mineral oil and petroleum/petrolatum they are just cheap fillers that do nothing for your hair except sit on your scalp and cause build up. (this means throw away the blue magic and pink oil)
-protective styling such as braids, weaves buns can be good for protecting your ends from breaking but don't do them too tight.

I hope this helps a little x

Thank you for your response, Weaves and braids are nice but like i say i want to wear my own hair a bit out more because i want to have the chance to treat it properley that is deep conditioning evry two weeks and washing it etc and with extensions that is not that convenient to do. Well For my deep conditioning treatment i was thinking of using natural products like a mix of mayonaise, honey and teaspon of castor oil evry two weeks and once a month do a henna treatment with that. For my leave in conditioner I was thinking of making a mix of unrefined shea butter, aloe vera gel, and castor oil and then using castor oil to seal in my hair and i would spray my hair with boiled water mixed with castor oil. I have never really donw that but i went through some natural hair forums and wanted to give that a try 1st. What do you think of that regimen and what products do you use?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show